Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-10-2014, 01:50 PM   #1

Fox Shox from SMB

So, jumped to the Sportsmobile Store for unrelated reasons and lo-and-behold look what they are now offering:

http://www.sportsmobilestore.com/fox-sh ... ies-front/

With all the positive reviews of BajaSortsmobile's fixes to the Quigley and Quadvan with his version of these I wonder if there is much improvement bolting these to an SMB?

Karl

Old 10-10-2014, 02:15 PM   #2

Re: Fox Shox from SMB

They also have a steering stablizer and bracket. I wonder if that would fit OEM 2WD front setups? If so, I might order one.
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 02:52 PM   #3

Garage

BajaSortsmobile get these in then tears them apart to rebuild. With all the work he does it is a completely different shock when he gets done with it. His has made me go from liking the Yeti to loving it. It even got the wife's approval.

TexGX
2006 Casita (Makes it a three bedroom 1 and 1/2 bath)
TexGX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 09:02 AM   #4

Instead of buying the stock Fox Shoc and rebuilding it, we (Sportsmobile) had Fox
design and build the Shock for the Sportsmobile weight and application at the factory.
This Fox Shock is a part number developed just for Sportsmobile and that way they
are a factory built and tested, and warrantied part. We feel Fox did a great job with
this shock and with the steering stabilizer and highly recommend both, and the shocks
are now standard on new conversions.
Jonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 12:56 PM   #5

So who has these on their van? Is there any feed back on them yet?
Old 02-13-2015, 09:55 PM   #6

Well they are in and working VERY well. I also had all leaf springs removed, re-arched and completely cleaned, painted and greased. I also had new ball joints installed the old ones were trashed. The font wheel bearings were repacked and new front rotors and pads installed also had the locking hubs cleaned and new seals installed. Everything looks brand new and it drives like a new sedan. Took it down some rough roads and some bad tar and it really does ride so much better! I also had the front steering stabilizer installed as well. All the work was done by a friend of mine who just works from home and his level of detail was amazing.
Tracey
Sorry not sure how to rotate photo.
Attached Thumbnails
photo-3.JPG  
Old 02-14-2015, 07:19 AM   #7

I like the white on the links. More pics please
JoeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 09:19 PM   #8

Thanks Joe, the links are actually silver (the lighting is odd) they match the shocks. I was out and about all day today so I didn't have time to get any photos. Put a bunch of road time on the van today and its just a pleasure to drive. Smooth as glass and it doesn't wonder around on the highway like it once did. I will get some photos of all of it hopefully tomorrow.
Old 02-15-2015, 10:46 PM   #9

Ok I have a few more pictures to share. For the record it is dang hard to take good pictures, all you professionals out there make it look so easy. Seriously, my hats off to you and your skills. So just a few photos of the new stuff. Again my apologies for the photos being rotated wrong...and just not that good. lol
I just can't say enough good about the mechanic who did the work, if anyone might need some help with this sort of stuff and more I would be happy to get you contact info for Tom. He works one project at a time and does it right the first time.
Time to go get it dirty now!
Attached Thumbnails
photo-6.JPG   photo-6 copy.JPG   photo-6 copy 2.JPG  
Old 03-03-2015, 11:17 PM   #10

Bumping this back to the top to ask a few questions.
Also to cross-link this thread: http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/vie...hp?f=3&t=15418 which has links to the SMB store and comments from Nick regarding availability.

So far, I've only seen pictures of front installations. Does anyone have a picture of the rear installation? In particular, is a pin mount adapter needed for the upper eyelet?

Does anyone (from SMB...) have the extended and collapsed lengths of both front and rear Fox shocks?

These folks http://www.ourroadlife.com/category/sportsmobile/, http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/vie...hp?f=2&t=15242 have had a problem with the length, but their van isn't of the year range for those shocks as listed on SMB's store.

Is anyone willing to publish the damping speeds (or valving "numbers") to which these particular shocks are tuned for SMB application? That is discussed a bit in this thread about Bilsteins http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/vie...hocking+thread and I'm curious to compare what SMB and Fox came up with.