Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-11-2014, 05:10 PM   #1

Garage
Winch. - Which one & Cable, rope or steel

Hello All,

Which winch brand have you gone for, what size and which cable synthetic rope or steel cable, please?

In the past I have has steel cable on an OX hydraulic winch on a Landcruiser, and prior to that PTO winch & steel cable on a Toyota Personnel Carrier(ex government rescue vehicle).

Both were very handy.

2008 Yellow Ford E350 6.0 diesel eb50 4x4, Front E Locker, Asheville Eng Rebuil 20th @ 261miles, ARP Studds, 200amp Alternator, Performance Aluminium Radiator, OnBoardAir, RoadmasterActiveSuspension, Front & Rear Aluminess with Spare Tire Carrier, Aluminess Roof Rack, Titan Aft 30gallon Fuel Tank.
Sheriffdoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 09:43 PM   #2

Location: Rancho Nuevo (Cabo/Todos Santos) B.C.S. and San Diego, CA
Re: Winch. - Which one & Cable, rope or steel

Simple answer - whatever your budget will allow.

A cheap Harbor Freight 12,000 lb winch for $300 will get you unstuck. A $1,200 Warn Zeon will do it more reliably, maybe.

FIXED IT!

$12,000 / $1,200 - whats the difference? Zero!

AgileOffRoad.com
BajaSportsmobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 11:41 PM   #3

$12,000.00 for a Warn winch? Must be some serious piece of machinery.
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 12:42 AM   #4

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajaSportsmobile

A cheap Harbor Freight 12,000 lb winch for $300 will get you unstuck. A $12,000 Warn Zeon will do it more reliably, maybe.
Did you mean 12,000lb Warn Zeon? How much are they roughly?
2008 Yellow Ford E350 6.0 diesel eb50 4x4, Front E Locker, Asheville Eng Rebuil 20th @ 261miles, ARP Studds, 200amp Alternator, Performance Aluminium Radiator, OnBoardAir, RoadmasterActiveSuspension, Front & Rear Aluminess with Spare Tire Carrier, Aluminess Roof Rack, Titan Aft 30gallon Fuel Tank.
Sheriffdoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 04:06 AM   #5
Site Team

Garage

I don't like wire rope and that's all my company will put on my truck. I'm using Master Pull on my van winch. The 1st wrap needs to be heat resistant or have a sleeve. I'm also using a rollar Fairlead. There are some lines for cheaper

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1969&p=15788#p15788

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 05:11 AM   #6

Location: Rancho Nuevo (Cabo/Todos Santos) B.C.S. and San Diego, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheriffdoug
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajaSportsmobile

A cheap Harbor Freight 12,000 lb winch for $300 will get you unstuck. A $12,000 Warn Zeon will do it more reliably, maybe.
Did you mean 12,000lb Warn Zeon? How much are they roughly?
$1,200.00.

AgileOffRoad.com
BajaSportsmobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 06:39 AM   #7

Garage

i picked up a warn vr 12,000 for under 700 bucks shipped at summit. mounted it on a receiver so we can use it in front or back of the vehicle. so far ive only used it for wood collecting, but it worked flawlessly. very happy with purchase, as was everyone else wood collecting that weekend, lol. it saved us a ton of work.

this setup has an 85' cable. a longer one would be handy, but i dont think the chassis of the winch will accept much more cable on the spool. the cable developed frays as expected, but nothing serious. i asked around a little locally for opinions on what gloves to use for winching and was told to pick up some elk skin gloves to protect from said frays, but i havent been able to locate any yet. anyone have any suggestions on gloves and where to find them?
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 07:17 AM   #8
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF
Winch. - Which one & Cable, rope or steel

Shenrie-Welding gloves are supper tough.

As far as winches go, I have a 12,000lb warn powerplant, with the built in air compressor, it fits in the aluminess front bumper, but I had to have a new taller cover made to fit over the winch, it's taller than the ones without the built in compressor. I got my lights and recently swapped in a synthetic line from
http://olympusoffroad.3dcartstores.com
There are lots of other great quality ropes out there-masterpull, Amsteelblue, spydura
CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 07:24 AM   #9

Garage

I went with a Warm Zeon 12. Found a "used like new" on Amazon, $670 after $200 rebate. It comes with wire but you could replace with synthetic rope for about $400.

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=13646&hilit=+Warn
Old 12-12-2014, 08:59 AM   #10

I would generally prefer synthetic, however wire rope is much more abrasion resistant, so if you will be doing pulls where it's breaking over the ground/rocks/logs it'll last much longer and could be potentially safer.

I'm happy with me 12k Warn tabor winch, which is now called the VR. Warn gave me a wireless remote setup to go with it (one of their engineers saw the van in a parking lot, and thought it deserved it ) and that remote is one of my favorite upgrades.

Eventually though, I'd upgrade to the Warn Powerplant. I need a bigger compressor, and the power plant means I can free up some space on the frame rail where my small Viair currently sits.