Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-14-2014, 09:05 PM   #1

Atlas Transfer Case Breather Tube

I checked my site tube on my Atlas and noticed it was below the zip tie. Prior to changing/replacing the transfer case with 2qts, I topped it off with oil, and pressure washed underneath to try and find where the oil was leaking. I found oil coming from the breather tube vent at the end of the hose from the transfer case. My question is where do others have there breather tube venting? My hose runs almost parallel to the top of the transfer case and is ziptied to the vans support beams behind the transfer case and above the driveshaft, leaving the vent parallel to the vans floor.

2004 Ford F350 Service Truck
2006 Peterbilt 320 (hence my forum handle)
Pete320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 07:19 PM   #2
Site Team

Garage
Re: Atlas Transfer Case Breather Tube

That's interesting because I've never had a leak from the breather tube as far as I know (only seals). Worth looking into I guess.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 07:52 PM   #3

I called Advanced Adaptors on Monday to inquire about the oil coming from the breather tube vent. The gentleman I spoke with told me that there must be some kind of blockage in the tube somewhere, and that as you drive pressure builds in the case and needs to vent out. Even if a little air can get out, and there is slight blockage, the pressure will build and it will force oil out the breather tube vent. He told be to take off the vent and blow air from a compressor down the tube. I did this and was able to get the blockage blown out but it took a while. I figured it would blow out relatively quick but it took quite a few tries, the air built up in the tube but didn't immediately break through. After more than a few tries the air broke through and the air from compressor blew into the transfer case. I'll be keeping an eye on it but so far no more oil leakage.
2004 Ford F350 Service Truck
2006 Peterbilt 320 (hence my forum handle)
Pete320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 08:13 PM   #4
Site Team

Garage

Good info. Thanks!

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 04:25 PM   #5

Hello,

I'm having that same breather tube problem. I have a 2005 SMB Ford PSD with the atlas II transfer case. It had been running fine w/ no leaks and the other day I saw some transfer case fluid on the ground. It was not coming from a seal but from a cross member above the TC where the breather tube terminates. I spoke w/ Advanced Adapters as well and they suggested a clogged breather tube but, after inspection, I see that the breather tube is clear.

Mine as well routes up from the top of the transfer case and terminates inside one of the cross members above the drive shaft as I mentioned. Now I'm getting significant leakage. If I drive 5 miles and park, I'll get a silver dollar sized drip after a couple of minutes and there's more residual in the cross member.

I can't think of any way the TC could be pressurized to force the oil out the top...

I'm using the recommended Redline fluid.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Regards,

- Dave
dpekin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 04:31 PM   #6

As a follow up, to test the tube, I removed it from the top of the TC and could easily blow through it. I did not blow w/ air compressor and I didn't blow back into the TC. I wouldn't want to drive anything back into the TC. Maybe there could be a clog at the elbow that the breather tube connects to?

I'm afraid of taking off on a trip until this is remedied and am supposed to be heading out this weekend...

Thanks again,

- Dave
Old 03-03-2017, 03:20 PM   #7

Greetings depkin,

I had a similar experience with my Atlas a few years back. I replaced my transfer case oil when I first received my van (used) with RedLine MT-80. At the time I was using a lot of Redline Oils in "other vehicles" so it's what I used. Back then I was mostly in So Cal and every once in a while it would drip a little out the breather. Didn't think much of it. Then I moved to Colorado where 85 MPH is pretty common on the interstate, for longer distances, and up bigger mountians. I started to see more dripping out the breather so I thought maybe I should change to an Atlas Approved oil. Got in a hurry and put Mobile 1 in and headed over the rockies to Grand Junction. I pulled off on Vail Summit to find the entire underside of the van covered in oil with little in the TCase. Limped home and did the same routine of blowing air down the vent tube. Nothing, all clear. So I did some research to find foaming issues pretty common to Mobil 1, Amzoil with little to none, and Redline somewhere in the middle. I have since switched to the Amzoil (should have just used it from the beginning as it's the real spect oil) and have had no problems.

A couple of thoughts though.
My breather terminates up on the bell housing of the transmission so a little higher than the TC.

The gears in the Atlas have a pumping action to lubricate everything so I can see how an oils anti foaming property could be important.

It's easy to overfill the Atlas more than the two quarts specified. Especially if it is drained by the drain plug. Because of the position of the drain plug a few ounces will remain. I wouldn't trust the zip tie on mine to mark where full is. This last time I removed the base plate to confirm it was empty and I just wanted to look inside. BUT, if you do remove the plate don't get mid-evil tightening the allen bolts. They are only threaded into the aluminum case. Or you find yourself becoming an expert in the TimeSert process.

Use the Amzoil they specify.

Hope this helps
-Eric
ShuttlePilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 03:43 PM   #8

Eric was correct. I drained the Redline oil which hadn't leaked or given me a problem for 2 years prior to this. I replaced it with the Amsoil and the leaking problem went away...

Thanks Eric!