Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-23-2014, 09:15 PM   #1

Quigley conversion and fuel tankage

Guys: I PROMISE I searched the site prior to making this post, and couldn't anything appropriate. If this has been thoroughly discussed, please color me foolish and point me in the right direction...

My 1998 E350 S.O.B. Quigley conversion has a 21(ish) gallon tank. With the powerful V-10, that equates to a range of only ±225 miles. What do smart people do to carry more fuel?

It looks like UJOR's aux 35-gallon tank doesn't bolt right up under a Quigley conversion. SMB West doesn't have a solution right off the top of Peter's head.

Surely every V-10 owner wants to haul more than 225 miles worth of gas -- how do others do it?

One solution is RotoPax cans on a rack on the back. Another solution is moving the spare to a rack on the back, and installing a tank in the original spare location. What solutions are you aware of?

Thanks!

Esmi2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 10:50 PM   #2

Re: Quigley conversion and fuel tankage

Aerotanks.

21 is super small though. My Quigley was cut down from the factory 35 to about 30. Not sure what would be different about yours. Anyway, Aerotanks can get you 45.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 11:05 PM   #3

HA! While I was waiting for you (and others) to reply, I found Aerotanks. They make a 40 gallon one specifically for an E350 Quigley -- though the caveat is that maybe they're not smog legal in Kalifornia. I will put a call into them in the morning.
http://www.aerotanks.com/inventory/e250-350.html

Maybe my tank is larger than 21 gallons -- I've never run it dry. I fill it up when the needle gets uncomfortably close to "E", but maybe there's 9 gallons still left. (I've read here and elsewhere that the fuel gage becomes somewhat unreliable (with regard to Empty) after being cut down for the Quigley installation. I suppose I need to run it out of gas to know where the real bottom of the tank is ...)

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Scotty
Aerotanks.

21 is super small though. My Quigley was cut down from the factory 35 to about 30. Not sure what would be different about yours. Anyway, Aerotanks can get you 45.
Old 12-24-2014, 01:11 AM   #4

My Quigley is only 21-22 gallons also, and Ford fuel gauges are notoriously not very accurate.

Give Aerotanks a call bc I believe the smog issue for the V10 was only for certain years.
Old 12-24-2014, 07:55 AM   #5

Note: to be smog legal you will also have to install a 2nd Evap canister, as the stock one is only good for 35-gallons. If AeroTanks isn't able to provide a CARB sticker, you might to stick with TransferFlow, which would require install at QuadVan. I've heard of others having problems with aftermarket fuel tanks missing certification stickers.
Old 12-24-2014, 08:59 AM   #6

Oops, I didn't notice you are in Ca. I think you're going to get bad news from Aerotanks. Good luck though. Also, this is actually a diesel tank, which they can modify for gas, or at least they did for me and a few others. But, I don't think they can certify it or whatever. It amazes me that people in Ca don't just ride bicycles everywhere. What you have to do to keep a car on the road legally is stupid.

Oh, Aerotanks 40 gallon tank is really 45, or even more some have reported. Good luck!

Old 12-28-2014, 10:23 AM   #7

Thanks for the info.

I have a call in to Aerotanks -- the shop is closed til 1-5-15.

Thinking about the CA smog issue: In previous smog checks on other vehicles, I don't recall the tech looking at my fuel tank as part of the inspection. Occasionally, I get a fuel cap pressure test, but nothing else. More to the point, how are my regulators gonna know/care if the tank I have is factory-installed, or a series or washed-out jelly jars, or anything else?
Old 12-28-2014, 10:36 AM   #8

I wonder that too.
Old 12-28-2014, 05:16 PM   #9

Location: Rancho Nuevo (Cabo/Todos Santos) B.C.S. and San Diego, CA

Here is a little insight...

We are a dealer for Aero Tanks and have installed a few - I have one in my V10 E350 that is registered in South Dakota and lives in Baja.

Their replacement tank is advertised as being a 45 gallon tank - I got 49.5 into mine on first fill.

Areo Tanks do not have a CARB (California Air Resources Board) approval number for use in gasoline vehicles so they only sell diesel tanks in CA.

The 45 gallon tank will not fit in 4x4 conversions like Quigley and several others who use an extension housing on the back of 2wd transmissions before the transfer case. These extensions are used instead of converting the transmission to the shorter 4x4 output shaft.

This setup leaves seven less inches for the fuel tank and is why they cut the factory tanks back and lose so much capacity.

What Aero and we can do is cut seven inches off the tank and re-weld it. Jacob at Aero just did this on a van that we installed a Max RIP Kit on. It was the first one that he had to do and we had some discussion about it - these will be sold as 40 gallon tanks.

AgileOffRoad.com
BajaSportsmobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 05:19 PM   #10

Location: Rancho Nuevo (Cabo/Todos Santos) B.C.S. and San Diego, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esmi2
More to the point, how are my regulators gonna know/care if the tank I have is factory-installed, or a series or washed-out jelly jars, or anything else?
The liability is Aero Tanks, not your's, and a business can't take that risk. CARB would come down hard on them with fines and... welcome to California.

AgileOffRoad.com
BajaSportsmobile is offline   Reply With Quote