Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-05-2015, 05:40 PM   #1

Garage
Quigley refresh - suggestions?

Getting ready to overhaul the front end of my '02 Quigley and make it Road-trip ready for 2015. Have a few questions for y'all regarding the easy or hard way to do a few things etc...

1. I'll be replacing the original 'recalled' Control Arms with the new Round ones from Quigley. Is there a recommended sequence of removing and replacing? On the ground vs van jacked up?? Top one 1st or 2nd?

2. I'm replacing the Trackbar with a fresh one w/ the upgraded Poly bushings installed. Looks like a simple unbolt and then bolt new one in. Correct?

3. When I cleaned off the excess grease buildup, I noticed one of the joints that connects the Pitman arm to the Tie bars has a plastic shield that has cracked. Do I need to be concerned? Is this a do-it yourself or should I have a shop in town replace. Guessing it's more than a simple bolt on job.. The tie bar end themselves looked good, feel tight once I scraped off 12+ yrs of grease goo

4. The Sway bar bushings. I'm replacing both the In-Axle Bushings and also the Frame mounted ones. Frame ones are a no brainer, the axle ones are smoked big time. Tips/Tricks to getting the old ones out and the new ones pressed in?

5. Steering stabilizer replacement. Looks super simple...

Here's a few pics of what i currently have... Will be hitting it with a fresh coat of Rustoleum Flat black to finish off the job...

Thanks Guys. The next step after the above is upgrading the coils to Moog CC880S coils and getting my Fox shocks rebuilt and/or revalved

Old 02-06-2015, 09:10 AM   #2

Re: Quigley refresh - suggestions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by alta825

1. I'll be replacing the original 'recalled' Control Arms with the new Round ones from Quigley. Is there a recommended sequence of removing and replacing? On the ground vs van jacked up?? Top one 1st or 2nd?
I did ours several years ago and I'm not someone who likes working on vehicles but it was a simple job. I did it on the driveway but don't remember the sequence or anything else. Just don't overthink it.
Old 02-06-2015, 10:08 AM   #3

Garage

After looking at it more last night the arms looks pretty straight forward. The one item that might be a bear are those axle bushings for the swaybar. Thinking I might cut a notch out and pound it out w/ a B.A.H.
Old 02-06-2015, 10:48 AM   #4

Garage

^^^ thats how i did mine. all i had was a sawsall. used a metal blade to cut through what little rubber was left and scored the sleeve just enough to break it with a hammer and a screwdriver. the poly replacements i had were easier than i assumed to get in though. that was a nice surprise.

another member just replaced his quigley arms, but i cant remember who it was and i cant find the thread. i swear it was TexGX, but for the life of me i cant find the thread
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 01:10 PM   #5

Garage

Good recall. I am having them switched right now. I am in a different boat as I bought used updated arms. It was a process to get the old bushings out. I then had them re-powder coated. I had already planned on a shop installing my new rotors so I let them do the arms as well. They are having a hard time getting the new bushings back in. I am hoping for an update today. I will post anything I learn.

TexGX
2006 Casita (Makes it a three bedroom 1 and 1/2 bath)
TexGX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 07:03 PM   #6

Garage

Alright... Got a few bloody knuckles... What the heck is the trick to getting the trackbar back on? Spent a good chunk of the afternoon trying to reinstall. Got the pass side in place and bolted (loosely right now) but for the life of me I can only get the other side halfway. The eyelet lines up on one side but I can't get the other side lined up so the bolt goes all the way thru. Pls Help!

Thanks a Ton guys!
Old 02-08-2015, 07:48 PM   #7

Location: Rancho Nuevo (Cabo/Todos Santos) B.C.S. and San Diego, CA

You can use a ratchet strap to pull the axle to one side or the other. Also take a bolt of the same diameter but longer and grind a tapper on the end. Use it as an alignment tool inserting it from the opposite side and then push it out with the actual bolt.

AgileOffRoad.com
BajaSportsmobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 10:13 PM   #8

Garage

Thanks Baja - going to try the tapered bolt trick in the am, when i insert the bolt the opposite side eyelet is off by 3 mm or so, hopefully this will work.

Quick question - should the van be on the ground or jacked up by either the axle or the frame?

Thanks Again
Old 02-09-2015, 02:45 PM   #9

Location: Rancho Nuevo (Cabo/Todos Santos) B.C.S. and San Diego, CA

Support the van with safety jack stands on the frame just behind the Quigley Torque Arm brackets and use a floor jack to support the axle so that you can raise and lower it to help with alignment.

AgileOffRoad.com
BajaSportsmobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 04:32 PM   #10

Garage

Thanks Again Baja - I actually had some luck this am having my wife turn the steering wheel back n forth while I was under the van and the bolt finally went thru.

Now it's time to finish getting the bushings out and new ones pressed in for the front sway bar. Driver side bushing came out w/ a sawzall and hammer pretty easily, pass side is a bit tighter spacewise w/ the tie bars but I"m hoping later tonight I can check all of these off the list.

Cheers

-d