Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-16-2015, 01:04 PM   #1

Bend, Oregon repair shops

We will be living in Bend for the next two years. It is time to have my front hub bearings repacked. Took the van to a local shop. The owner drove the van into a bay and spent about 15 minutes checking out the front end. He told me that I needed to replace the ball joints, tie rod ends, etc. I had the entire front end rebuilt 11 months ago. I went home and jacked up each tire. Checked for any play in the steering components. I found none. I took the van to another shop that specializes in rebuilding front ends. They said that the ball joints and tie rod ends are OK.

Are there any trust worthy repair shops in Bend or Redmond that can service an E350 RB50 SMB 4X4?

SierraHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 03:11 PM   #2

Re: Bend, Oregon repair shops

What about the 2nd shop?
Old 03-16-2015, 05:31 PM   #3

I will have the second shop pack the bearings tomorrow but I need to know if anyone can recommend an honest mechanic for everything else.
Old 03-16-2015, 05:41 PM   #4

I have one here in Eugene that I would recommend if you are ever over this way. There are at least a couple of folks on here who live in Bend who may be able to help with direct feedback on some shops.
Quigley with Agile RIP, 6.0 PSD
WhitH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 06:19 PM   #5

I don't know anyone to recommend (not an Oregonian), but geez, don't you just hate that first type of shop? Either they are dishonest or somewhat less than competent. Neither bodes well. A good shop nearly always has more work than they can handle, so it's not like there is a "good" reason to operate like that, either.
Viva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 12:13 AM   #6

I live here in Bend and have an '06 SMB. The only guy I trust to work on it is Robert at Hertz Care Care on Greenwood. He was the Ford diesel tech at Wright Ford in Redmond and then moved to Hertz to run the entire place. He has always been fair and is the most knowledgable tech around. All the local fire dept. and farmers take their rigs to him. Good luck.
bridges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 01:33 PM   #7

Most of our major repairs on our work vehicles are done at Robberson Ford and they have always been fair to us. I do recall bridges having issues with them, so keep that in mind.

While I have not personally used either (I try my best to do all my own work), I have friends and family that have used both Happy Dane's and Monkey Wrench with positive feedback.
Old 03-17-2015, 01:44 PM   #8

Garage

op, you should list up the dishonest shops name so others in your area know to avoid them.
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 03:51 PM   #9

Since I am claiming outright fraud I need to know how I can alert others. I used to do all of my own work including engine swaps, servicing drive-line components, etc. The one area that I have struggled to learn is the SMB electrical system. The only reason I have someone work on my van is because I was diagnosed with MS 15 years ago. I do not have the strength to lift some of the components or break the larger nuts loose.

I just joined Angie's List. They have folks who will help users post on their forum. The mechanic who told me that I needed the front end rebuilt is active on Angie's List.
Old 03-17-2015, 05:08 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by SierraHawk
The one area that I have struggled to learn is the SMB electrical system.
Keep in mind that most normal mechanics will no nothing about the house side of the electrical if that is what you are talking about. There are a few RV shops in town, but I really don't have any experience dealing with them from a service side of things. Seems like the good folks here on the forum are able to diagnose remotely as good as anyone!

Do you have some specific work in mind, or just looking for a go-to mechanic?