Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-27-2015, 09:46 PM   #1

Dana 50 opportunity worth doing?

The opportunity: A set of axles Dana50 FF and 10.25 both 4.10 for $250

Probably the most important thing to metion is that I'm looking at putting these onto a 96 with 120,000 miles on the 4.9L (300ci) inline 6. I'm a slow driver with a 5 mile residential commute passing by one stop sign on my way to the high school I teach at.

Here's what I believe I'd be getting myself into: (What am I overlooking?)
New radius arms + mounts, pitman arm, frame mounts, notching crossmember, swaybar brackets.

Here's what I'm not sure of:
I presently have what I believe is a full float dana60 that I know has 3.73 gearing, can I just swap in a new R/P with a matching 4.10 ratio? (Edit: since I'm not immediately going 4wd do I even need to convert the gearing)

Other purchases I expect:
New shocks, springs, bushings, likely rebuild of brakes on old axles.

Are there any specific issues I should be looking for when I go inspect these axles?
Is the 10.25 of any value to me?

Oh yeah, and for the time being, no transfer case or 4wd as I have no immediate need. So why bother? I'm seeing this as a way to get a lift with potential for added features down the road. I do really appreciate that aspect of the ujoint philosophy.

I do realize that I have other options like the ujoint solid axle swap, or a simple 2" max lift. Though I live in TN now, I'm originally from CA, so there's some appeal to me to have a more desert/washboard friendly setup as I know a surf trip down to mexico is just as likely as a rocky/muddy trek in my own back yard. (Which is not to say either are eminent) Plus I like projects.

If anyone, especially baja or others with dana50 experiences care to advise, I appreciate the fact that conversations of this form even when biased in any direction are always informative...

bcaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 09:15 AM   #2

Re: Dana 50 opportunity worth doing?

Bcaine
Glad to have another member east of the Mississippi! If you are talking about the dana 50 which Baja uses and not the straight axle kind you will have to make custom mounts to hold the diff and steering components and the radius arms will have to be made or adapted from another ttb such as bronco or ranger. The only reason I mention this is I have been researching this swap myself and found a set of axles in Clarksville TN. that were solid 50's .
As for the rear the 10.25'should be an easy swap and should have disc brakes which at those prices will be much cheaper than replacing the gear ratio in the one you already have unless you can set it up yourself.
If you are 2wd now you will have to deal with the transfer case and gas tank. I am not sure which transmission you have behind the 300 (which IMO is the best motor ford every made) but will require an adaptor or replacing your transmission with a 4wd version. Once you get the t-case in then the gas tank will either have to be modified or replaced with a new custom one.
Bottom line even with cheap axels this is a very expense and time consuming process. That being said if the 50 is a ttb front and you don't take it let me know I am looking for one myself. I am in Bowling Green KY if I can help just let me know.
4x4sporty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 09:18 AM   #3

Is it a solid axle 50? If so they were never available with a Sterling 10.25, just the 10.5 in 99-01 trucks. (and Excursions if we want to get technical)

If it is a solid axle, nothing wrong with it and $250 is a screaming deal. The 50's have less options in the limited slip and locker dept but there's nothing wrong with them. Rarely hear of failures.
ujointoffroad.com
UJOINT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 09:28 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by UJOINT
Is it a solid axle 50? If so they were never available with a Sterling 10.25, just the 10.5 in 99-01 trucks. (and Excursions if we want to get technical)

If it is a solid axle, nothing wrong with it and $250 is a screaming deal. The 50's have less options in the limited slip and locker dept but there's nothing wrong with them. Rarely hear of failures.
The 10.5 you mentioned in the 99-01 model is that a dana 70? I looked at one a few weeks ago that the guy said was a Dana 70 and it had 8 on 6.5 lug pattern. It was huge and looked indestructible.
Old 03-28-2015, 12:04 PM   #5

I thought I had all the details. I did miss an obvious one.

The axle is the ifs 50 ttb.
Old 03-28-2015, 12:36 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4sporty
Quote:
Originally Posted by UJOINT

The 10.5 you mentioned in the 99-01 model is that a dana 70? I looked at one a few weeks ago that the guy said was a Dana 70 and it had 8 on 6.5 lug pattern. It was huge and looked indestructible.
I was talking about the Sterling 10.5 in the F series.
ujointoffroad.com
Old 03-28-2015, 12:36 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcaine
I thought I had all the details. I did miss an obvious one.

The axle is the ifs 50 ttb.
Ah, ok. That makes more sense!
ujointoffroad.com
Old 03-28-2015, 03:01 PM   #8

4x4sporty, I'm just over an hour south of you in hendersonville tn.

I'm going to pick up the dana50 on Monday for $100. I'm a teacher and have all summer to wrench plus this is a second vehicle. Presently i think ill take measurements and mock up all the critical components on a "jig" with all the relevant angles and obstacles for the new front end so that I can make sense of things. Once everything is placed I will measure for my mounts.

I won't be putting in a transfer case for a while and think I will stick with my present 3.73 as the 300ci has plenty of torque and I'd rather keep rpms low. When I pick up the ttb I'll throw a lowball offer on the 10.25 in case larger tires down the road make me reconsider the 3.73. A spare axle never hurts and it's drums so I'm perfectly fine with my dana.
Old 03-28-2015, 11:59 PM   #9

I can't believe I missed those. I have been looking almost everyday and had just been busy this weekend. Oh well good find If you need any help I would be glad to come down. I would love to see your project. I will PM my info
Good Luck
Jim
Old 07-22-2015, 06:14 AM   #10

Subscribing, sounds like you will get this done before me. $100 for a dana 50 TTB with 4.10 is a great deal. I need to keep looking the one I found is $250 and 3.54 geared. You could always cut the axle mounts off the 10.25 and re weld them if the width and deferential offset is correct.

jydog is offline   Reply With Quote