Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-28-2015, 10:39 PM   #1

BFG All Terrain KO2

So I got a sidewall pinhole last week and needed to replace one of my BFG's. I found out that the All Terrain has been redesigned and is now the KO2 line. Quite a different design so I'm including some pictures. I like BFG's; this is the 22nd one I've bought between my Comanche and the van. This is the first unexplainable failure that I've had. I was out in Coyote Canyon last weekend running 40 pounds so not stressing it, drove home with 60#'s, drove to work the next day and was flat in the afternoon. No sign of trail hazard damage just a tiny hole that took the water tank to find. Anyway for those interested here is the KO2. I'll be buying another another Monday and running them on the front.

2004 SMB 4x4 RB 6.0 PSD; ARP Head Studs, Gen 3 Cylinder Heads, BPD Oil Cooler connected to AMSOil Bypass, a whistling Wicked Wheel Turbo, Coolant Filter, Upgraded alternator, ScanGauge, SCT custom and SMB Fox shocks.
BFG 285/75 R16 KM3 Mud Terrains on ProComp 7069's
PatO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 12:44 AM   #2
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF
Re: BFG All Terrain KO2

There have been a few threads on the new KO2. I believe the original KO is still available as well? At least you should be able to track some down. I guess my point is, these KO2's are a different tire and it sounds like you're running, or planning to run your old KO's on the rear and 2 new KO2's on the front? Not sure I would mix old/new at the least not with 2 different tread patterned tires.
CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 12:57 AM   #3

Yes different axles - any other opinions on this out there?
2004 SMB 4x4 RB 6.0 PSD; ARP Head Studs, Gen 3 Cylinder Heads, BPD Oil Cooler connected to AMSOil Bypass, a whistling Wicked Wheel Turbo, Coolant Filter, Upgraded alternator, ScanGauge, SCT custom and SMB Fox shocks.
Old 03-29-2015, 07:44 AM   #4
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF

Something to read on the subject-BTW, did your tire shop say anything about running just 1 or 2 new tires on a 4WD rig? Usually not the practice, as this article will point out, it puts undue stress on the components, mainly your differentials. How many miles on your old BFG's? Plus there's the aesthetics of not running matching tires on a rig that nice[emoji16]
I'm sure there will be others to chime in
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/ ... ?techid=18
CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 09:42 AM   #5

Thanks REF for the thought provoking comments.
My original logic was that I only put 10 miles per 1000 miles in 4 wheel drive in what usually is soft sand and low speed. I wasn't concerned about freeway miles at full tire pressure in an open 4x system. The current tires are 2 years old and around 18000 miles on a rotated set of 5. The remaining 4 tires measure out to about 10/32. New BFG A/T's are 15/32. The tire guy mentioned that he could try to get an original KO but I didn't know about the radical differences so I told him to get the KO2. I think my overriding issue, if I stick with the current plan, is when I need to replace the other 2 tires I will still be in a 4/32's or so diameter differential per axle. It would seem the optimal long range solution would be for me to continue to run the 4 KO's and have the KO2 as a spare. Then in 1 - 1 1/2 years replace the KO's when worn out and bring the spare into service. I think I'll get a tire cover to reduce UV damage and maybe a lock!
Old 03-29-2015, 06:41 PM   #6

Not trying to advocate spending money you don't have to, but. You have 4 bfg' with just over two thirds life left. In the used tire market you could get more then two thirds of the value in a sale. Not trying to sound shifty, but what some people do to save a few bucks on tires is beyond me, not going so far to say I've never bought used tires before, but...
I'm not saying your plan doesn't make sense, but if your in it for the long haul, and do a five tire rotation, starting anew with five fresh tires and selling the four good ones just might pan out in the long run.
Not even sure how I'd play this one.
Old 03-29-2015, 09:22 PM   #7

Garage

Man, that's an ugly looking sidewall view, though probably a good performer. I'm afraid I'll be replacing my current KO's with these before this year ends. I've used the BFG AT's since the 80's on numerous 4-by's and they are dependable.
Old 04-19-2015, 10:48 AM   #8

I just replaced my D range 285/75 16 BFG AT KOs with the KO2s in the same size. Now only e-range. I have a 8800lb van and started with 50PSI front, 60PSI rear.

The tires were fantastic. New tires always feed better and perform better, of course, but I swear these are more comfortable onroad than the old ones. I had resisted E range since I found them too stiff, and they didn't have as much snow performance as the Ds. I don't do much snow now, but the KO2s have a better rating on snow than the old model, at least in E range.

They also seem to grab better on gravelly hardpack. My old ones weren't exactly worn down, but were older and perhaps the compound was a bit less sticky. But on something like the Cerro Gordo road, a great test of hardpark performance, they rocked. Never even a little slip.

They weren't any noisier either. Whether they really are tougher in the sidewall, I dunno...I leave that to someone with a bigger wallet to test. Overall, I'm a happy camper. Got a very decent deal on them at my local America's Tire BTW; cheaper than Tirerack.
Old 07-21-2015, 10:57 AM   #9

Just put a new set of the BFG AT/KO2 tires on my van. 265/70/17 E rated. So far, I love them. We have about 1,500 miles on them now. They are much quieter and a smoother ride. The specs say the traction is 20% better in mud and 11% better in snow, or vice versa. We had a couple sets of the older KO tires and this is the best my van has driven since new. Had to have them balanced on the road about 900 miles after the initial installation. Perhaps they hadn't seated properly on the rims, or could have been they were originally balanced with 60psi on the front and 80psi on the rear. I run them with 54psi all around and that could make a difference I suppose. I told the guys at Discount Tire in Colorado Springs to leave them at 54psi when doing the balance, and the feel great even at 80mph.

And speaking of that, how about the 80mph speed limit in western Utah?
Steve_382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 04:46 PM   #10

I kept the first KO2 tire as a spare and was running my 4 KO's since I started with 5 tires back when. But then last month I had a second KO unrepairable shoulder failure apparently from glancing off of a rock. So now I have 2 new KO2's on the rear axle.