Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-26-2008, 06:18 PM   #1

New Wheels & Tires Installed

I had new wheels and tires installed on Friday. These replaced the stock Ford wheels and Tires (245/75/16). I went with American Racing Mojave Black Teflon wheels (16 x 8) and Nitto Terra Grappler tires: 285/75/16 with an E Load rating. Discount Tire did the install and gave me a great deal.

I haven't been off road with these yet, however, here are my initial impressions. The van seems to have a much smoother and quiet ride than before. I was really surprised they made that much of a difference. I should also add that these look so much better than the previous setup .

I am currently running them at 65 psi. Is this the recommended PSI for this size tire?

Here are a couple pictures. They are still waiting on the caps for the rear tires.

Old 07-26-2008, 07:37 PM   #2

Garage
Great news! You will be happy with this combo.

I have the same wheels on my SMB. I have the Terra Grapplers on my Range Rover Sport. They are quiet. They are softer than BFG AT's. and have great traction. I'm not sure about the SMB sized Grapplers, but I run my SMB BFG's at 50 psi on hiway.
Old 07-27-2008, 11:52 AM   #3

Thanks Jeffrey. Are your BFGs 285/75/16? Also, are they load rated at D or E?
Old 07-27-2008, 12:55 PM   #4

Nice. Wish I had black wheels like those.
Old 07-27-2008, 07:19 PM   #5
Site Team

I originally had BFG All Terrain's, 285/75/16's on the SMB. When they were done, I went with the same tire, except the were E load rated. I kept with the tire pressure as originally indicated on the SMB-installed door panel sticker (55psi front / 60 psi rear).

I have the black teflon coated AR wheels (Mojave I think).

Herb
Old 07-28-2008, 11:55 AM   #6

Thanks Herb! Another question for you then. What PSI do you typically run off road?
Old 07-30-2008, 04:06 PM   #7

I was having some issues with the new tire fitting on the Trojan Tire Carrier after upgrading our wheels/tires. The additional width of the tire along with the new wheel offset caused the tire to push off the diagonal bar on the tire carrier (running from top left down to the latch point). I have a feeling I got one of the last tire carriers before they made some modifications to them in late 2007 and SMB gave me one that they knew would work with the stock wheel tire.

I drove over to Aluminess this morning (about 22 miles away from me) and met with Travis to see what could be done. Unfortunately, we could not add a spacer to move the tire further away from the carrier since the bolts where not long enough. They had a used tire carrier there that had a longer offset from the carrier to the plate and he swapped out mine with this one. He also made some improvements to the new (used) one that they have been making on their new carriers (new latch, bolts, etc). He spent about 1.5 hours with me and was incredibly helpful. This was all done free of charge. I have nothing but great things to say about Aluminess! It was also a lot of fun to see everything they produce and are working on.
Old 08-21-2008, 03:39 PM   #8

Maybe a little off topic, but I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere on the forum. When you get new tires, make sure you're getting NEW ones!! Every tire has a date stamp on it, but it's not generally known. Sometimes on the outside of the tire, and sometimes on the inside. It's cast into the tire near the rim and starts with DOT. There's usually a bunch of numbers, but the last four are what you're looking for. The first two are the week the tire was made and the last two are the year. I.E. 2106 means the 21st week of 2006. Etc. Lots of "new" tires are not new. It's sort of generally accepted that tires over six years old are risky to drive on as they get stiff and lose their elasticity
Don't shoot me, I'm just the messenger.

2007 RB50, 6.0
K1WGB
scatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 04:55 PM   #9

I almost never watch the evening news, but I actually caught a broadcast that talked about this several months ago. I did check my tires before they put them on and I had nothing to complain about. My oldest (new) tire is from Dec '07 and my newest ones are from May '08. However, thanks for the post and hopefully this helps some people out at some point.