Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-05-2015, 03:39 PM   #1

Aluminess rear tire carrier or under van? Some questions..

I'm about to lift my van (2wd) and am thinking about installing an Aluminess rear tire carrier. The problem is, I need to have access to the rear cargo area with both doors open. I haven't seen any pictures of SMB's or vans with the tire carrier installed and both rear doors open and was hoping someone could post some pics.

Does the tire carrier allow for the driver's side rear door to open fully?
Do you have to swing the tire carrier open to open the passenger side rear door?

My other option is to try to fit the spare (285) under the van, which some people seem to have done. I have the factory tow hitch, so I'm not sure if that will be an issue. Any help otherwise is appreciated.

Thanks!

Old 05-05-2015, 04:28 PM   #2
Site Team

Garage
Re: Aluminess rear tire carrier or under van? Some question

you're talking about the tire mount that fits on the stock bumper?

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 04:44 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveb
you're talking about the tire mount that fits on the stock bumper?
Yes.
Old 05-05-2015, 04:51 PM   #4

You don't need to open tire carrier to open the passenger side rear door.

And the driver side rear door will open fully with the tire carrier.
rallypanam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 04:53 PM   #5

Also, I had a 285 under with Ford trailer hitch before I got Aluminess bumper and underfloor storage. You may have to adjust the trailer hitch back a little (just the small amount the bolts will allow it).
rallypanam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 05:15 PM   #6

Jin, define open fully. Rob is right that the door will open to it's catch (90 deg) with the catch in place, but if you know the trick of releasing the catch to open the rear doors even further (basically to almost 180 degrees) this will NOT work with the Aluminess. I'm betting you mean to the catch at 90 degrees but just clarifying. Aluminess is too expensive to be surprised. You can go almost to 180 but not quite with the Aluminess carrier. It will go almost to 180 around itself until your tire hits and cracks your taillight lens.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 05:23 PM   #7

I guess I was under the assumption that it wouldn't open completely with the catch undone, but thats why I was hoping someone would post some pics of just how far the door could open with one of these tire carriers installed. If it could open further than the catch, that would be sweet because thats how I load my equipment.

Eric, based on your comment about the tire hitting the tail light lens if it goes too far, I'm assuming there isn't any sort of bumper to stop the tire from over extending.
Old 05-05-2015, 05:24 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Scotty
Jin, define open fully. Rob is right that the door will open to it's catch (90 deg) with the catch in place, but if you know the trick of releasing the catch to open the rear doors even further (basically to almost 180 degrees) this will NOT work with the Aluminess. I'm betting you mean to the catch at 90 degrees but just clarifying. Aluminess is too expensive to be surprised. You can go almost to 180 but not quite with the Aluminess carrier. It will go almost to 180 around itself until your tire hits and cracks your taillight lens.

Okay... What's the trick?
MorieSugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 10:18 AM   #9

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorieSugg
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Scotty

Okay... What's the trick?
There is a stainless steel catch on the retainer that limits all the cargo swinging doors opening to 90 degrees.
Before Release

If you depress the stainless steel clip, then push up on the retaining bar, it will come off of the post and this will allow you to open the door until it meets another physical obstacle. All the swinging doors in the cargo area have these.
After Release
2000 4Runner Limited 4WD

But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
skyrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 10:25 AM   #10

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikracer
I guess I was under the assumption that it wouldn't open completely with the catch undone, but thats why I was hoping someone would post some pics of just how far the door could open with one of these tire carriers installed. If it could open further than the catch, that would be sweet because thats how I load my equipment.

Eric, based on your comment about the tire hitting the tail light lens if it goes too far, I'm assuming there isn't any sort of bumper to stop the tire from over extending.
Hey mikracer,
Check this link on the Aluminess site.
http://www.aluminess.com/ford/ford-vans ... ire-racks/
There are some pretty good images of the tire carrier on a stock bumper.
I think you may be able to have them add a stop to the swing arm as well if it is wanted. Either way it looks like it should open quite a bit beyond 90 degrees. It is probably a function of tire size and width.

Get them on the phone as they are super supportive and understand all the issues.
2000 4Runner Limited 4WD

But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
skyrat is offline   Reply With Quote