Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-13-2015, 01:46 PM   #1
Site Team

Garage
Winching basics

Here is a basic winching article by Bruce Elfstrom. The link is to the Expedition Portal site.

Winching without the worry

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 02:32 PM   #2

Garage
Re: Winching basics

G'day,

In the past I have had two vehicles with PTO Winches & one with an Ox Hydraulic Winch, all had steel cables.

Very interesting article, in your post.

When I sold the Toyota 100 series with the Ox Hydraulic Winch, I removed the winch, and have it stored in a crate in the garage. It's a 12 ton winch, from memory.

I have intended to put it on the Yellow SMB, when it arrives in Australia, eventually, reinforcing the chassis mounting area prior if required.

I have no experience with battery run winches, as they get hot and are limited by battery capacity, is this true?

What are your thoughts on hydraulic winches?

I will probably replace the wire cable with rope.

Cheers!
2008 Yellow Ford E350 6.0 diesel eb50 4x4, Front E Locker, Asheville Eng Rebuil 20th @ 261miles, ARP Studds, 200amp Alternator, Performance Aluminium Radiator, OnBoardAir, RoadmasterActiveSuspension, Front & Rear Aluminess with Spare Tire Carrier, Aluminess Roof Rack, Titan Aft 30gallon Fuel Tank.
Sheriffdoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 03:24 PM   #3
Site Team

Garage

Both have pros and cons IMO mind you I'm no expert. I do use winches on a common basis at work and my job revolves around heavy rigging. We have both types but we are those type workers that bend the rules when using winches.

I like the clean applications an electric winch has and it can get you out of a jam if the engine dies. I also like the idea of helping out the winch by driving the vehicle rather than just pulling out dead weight. SMB's are heavy and I can't put the properly rated winch in due to size of the things. So I feel I use safer methods than I do at work and use the winch to help me out of a jam. JMO.Over the years I've operated vehicles with PTO winches that we couldn't break no matter how hard we tried. Sucks when a cable (steel rope) breaks. Seen a few jacked up trucks and broken windows.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 07:46 PM   #4

I have broken two steel winch cables over the years. It was not very dramatic - just had to trim the end and re-attach the hook. We have used our winch to help others more than we have used it for ourselves. But last summer (near Beartooth Pass in MT) I used it to pull the van over a large rock that my frame was sitting on (slid sideways into a water filled hole). About 80% of the weight was on the winch. I was able to goose the gas and hit the winch switch repeatedly in 3-5 second bursts until the rear wheel of the van rolled on top of the rock.

I cannot remember what gauge of wire I am using but I think that it is at least a "00". I have never had it heat up but I do have an inline fuse between the battery and the winch. The only problem I have had was when I tried to help out another wheeler. I was hooked up to his full size Broncho and trying to pull him 20 yards up a hill (his tires had gone off of the roadway and the vehicle slid down a steep slope). After about 40 - 50 seconds my battery was unable to keep turning the winch so I had to start the engine. Once I started the engine, the winch had no problem finishing the job.
SierraHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 10:36 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheriffdoug
I have intended to put it on the Yellow SMB, when it arrives in Australia, eventually, reinforcing the chassis mounting area prior if required.
Glad you're importing one into Oz, good luck with all the ADR stuff.

My mum took a trip with me in mine and wanted to take it back to Qld with her.

Quote:
I have no experience with battery run winches, as they get hot and are limited by battery capacity, is this true?
Battery capacity is not an issue - you typically keep your engine running and will run up your engine if needed to help maintain the load. Some people install a 2nd battery but plenty of people don't.

The heat comes from the brake inside the winch which holds the line when you are not running the motor. There are some brake designs that keep the heat away from the synthetic line.
(Super Winches have some models like that)

Quote:
What are your thoughts on hydraulic winches?
No idea.

Quote:
I will probably replace the wire cable with rope.
Don't use "rope" - you want to use a good quality synthetic winch line.

"A job worth doing is worth doing at least twice."
ANZAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 12:53 AM   #6

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANZAC
Quote:
Glad you're importing one into Oz, good luck with all the ADR stuff.

My mum took a trip with me in mine and wanted to take it back to Qld with her.

G'day,

I have a RAWS importing license into Australia for this vehicle. We had to get a new classification for this 2008 Ford E350/ Econoline, as this vehicle model has not been imported into Australia before.

Yes, there will be engineering challenges to meet Australian Design Rule certification and conversion to Right Hand Drive.

I already have the Ox Hydraulic Winch in Australia.

Cheers.
2008 Yellow Ford E350 6.0 diesel eb50 4x4, Front E Locker, Asheville Eng Rebuil 20th @ 261miles, ARP Studds, 200amp Alternator, Performance Aluminium Radiator, OnBoardAir, RoadmasterActiveSuspension, Front & Rear Aluminess with Spare Tire Carrier, Aluminess Roof Rack, Titan Aft 30gallon Fuel Tank.
Sheriffdoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 09:12 AM   #7

Quote:

Yes, there will be engineering challenges to meet Australian Design Rule certification and conversion to Right Hand Drive.

Cheers.
So the van will end up right hand drive? Wow, you'll have to post some pictures of that! Has there ever been any right hand drive Econolines anywhere?
2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 01:51 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by boywonder

So the van will end up right hand drive? Wow, you'll have to post some pictures of that! Has there ever been any right hand drive Econolines anywhere?
Yup!

http://www.autosmith.com.au/pages/e450.php
Old 08-14-2015, 04:01 PM   #9

Garage

I don't think that's a standard width van. But it looks comfy!