Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-13-2015, 07:14 PM   #1

Quigly Transfer Case Rebuild?

First time poster! I have a 2000 E350 7.3 with a quigly conversion, it has 150kish miles on it and I have had it for 10 years. It has developed a bad vibration that increases with speed. The vibration is coming from the general area of the driveshaft/transfer case. At first my thought was a u joint going out but in inspecting the drive shaft the u joints seem tight still but the shaft coming out of the transfer case has slop at the point it exits the case. When you attempt to shake the driveshaft it moves a bit at that point. It seems like a bearing may be bad at that point.

Just wondering if anyone has experienced similar and what was involved in fixing the issue?

Thanks!
Tim

thenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 07:51 PM   #2

Re: Quigly Transfer Case Rebuild?

Bad tranny mounts ?
Ocsmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 11:49 PM   #3

Recently i had noticed that my driveline was getting a mild vibration . My Quigley is a 1998 V10 std wheelbase with 145,000 miles on the drivetrain. At first i thought it could be the outer bearings or the pinion bearing but a friend suggested i remove the driveshaft and have it closely inspected. Sure enough it turned out to be both a worn companion flange and slip yoke. You could see the slop in the U-joints.I had the driveshaft rebuilt and rebalanced, soon that vibration was gone.
xmrracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 12:56 AM   #4

Location: Rancho Nuevo (Cabo/Todos Santos) B.C.S. and San Diego, CA

I doubt it is the T-Case.

Remove the drive shaft and have it checked out.

You can also unbolt the tail housing on the T-Case and put a new bushing and seal in it - easy to do.

AgileOffRoad.com
BajaSportsmobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 02:07 PM   #5

I'm with Ramsey on this one. Anytime I have had a rattle or noise coming from the drivetrain when accelerating or decelerating it has been ujoints. The last time I swore it was not the ujoints. I tried to find any play in them when I crawled underneath but they seemed tight. I even pulled the locking hubs because I swore thats where I heard it coming from when I was in 4 high. Finally had ujoints replaced and driveshafts ballanced and wallaa, fixed.

Steve
outopawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 10:13 PM   #6

Thanks for all the good insight! It turned out it was a rear diff needing to be rebuilt. Appreciate you all taking the time to chime in.
thenton is offline   Reply With Quote