Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-16-2015, 06:36 PM   #1

Under the category of strange stuff...

We are traveling from Bend, OR to Seattle. After driving north on 97 for about 3 hours the "alert" ding/ping (like when you leave the lights on after taking the key out of the ignition or open the door with the key in the ignition) began to sound. There were 5 dings/pings. That set was followed by 4 more sets of dings/pings. It was 65F and I was driving at 55-60.

None of the doors were open. All dash gauges read normal. Turned all aux items off (no change). Everything looked OK under the hood (no smoking wires). Trans was normal temperature.

Any ideas as to what might have caused the "alert" ding/ping to activate would be appreciated.

SierraHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 06:43 PM   #2

Re: Under the category of strange stuff...

I wonder if the airbag codes "sound" in your year rig? In my '97, the airbag codes just flashed on the dashboard, but they did so in two bursts of different numbers (for example, three flashes, then six flashes was code 36). This sequence would repeat, IIRC, five times then the airbag light would go solid "on" and that was that until you fixed the problem.

Now, this doesn't totally figure for your thing, since apparently your airbag light did not come on. But it still somewhat reminded me of that with the two-number sequence, and who knows how that same function might have evolved. BTW, the airbag code numbers were a whole difference universe from engine codes. I found all this out when mine started flashing - turned out to be the connector at the (swivel) passenger seat.

Anyway, no idea, but just a few thoughts.
Viva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 10:10 AM   #3

It seems like I've heard that the ding follows when the light goes out, as in burns out or is not functioning properly. Does your airbag bulb light up when you turn the ignition on?

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 07:50 PM   #4

Scotty, I think the airbag light is on the lower left of the instrument cluster and I do not see it light up when I turn the key on. Can I change it or does the instrument cluster have to be replaced?
SierraHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 09:04 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SierraHawk
Scotty, I think the airbag light is on the lower left of the instrument cluster and I do not see it light up when I turn the key on. Can I change it or does the instrument cluster have to be replaced?
Sorry but I'm not sure. I just tried Googling that one and couldn't come up with anything. My van is a 95 so has the older dash but it's not near me anyway. You should definitely see it light up somewhere when you turn your key on. If it doesn't I'm pretty sure that's where the dings are coming from. Honestly I wouldn't worry too much about it but fix it when you can. Any Ford mechanic will know or one of the guys here will chime in. PM Carringb maybe.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 09:35 PM   #6

On my '97, once the air bag system set a code (and in my case the airbag light lit up solid after the code cycle and stayed that way), the airbag system as a whole was non-functional until the situation was fixed. Just so you know that may be the case, if you care (I did).

Have you looked up airbag code "54"? That might give you a clue. My code indicated the passenger seat connector was loose and sure enough, when I reseated it that fixed everything. I just Googled for my code.
Viva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 06:08 AM   #7

When I first got my van it was doing this. Replaced the airbag light in the instrument cluster, and it went away... then the airbag light stays on all the time because my coil spring is toast.
RyanUsesThis is offline   Reply With Quote