Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-06-2015, 08:24 AM   #1

1995 Quigley front rotor replacement

My van only has 35k but already has badly warped rotors. I'm upgrading the pads and hope to just turn the rotors for now, since it's never been done. I'm going to upgrade to bigger, better brakes but I figured I'd get one more round out of these for now.
I watched some Youtube vids and am about halfway in. Wheels, pads and carriers are off and I removed the locking hub faces. I need to pull the big clips today and remove the wheel bearings, hubs and rotors. Looks like on my 95 the rotors are mated to the hubs with the lug studs pressing it all together. I don't know how common this is or how long they did them this way. I know how to get them apart but is it necessary to take them apart just to have my rotors turned?
Also, will I need special tools? I read somewhere I might need a 2 3/4" socket, or perhaps some other 4 sided special socket/tool. My van has a Dana 60 which Quigley told me wasn't a Dana 60 but a slightly different Ford 60??? I'm not sure why they insisted upon this as it's clearly marked Dana.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 10:27 AM   #2

Re: 1995 Quigley front rotor replacement

I am in the middle of the same job with my '95 E150. The hubs and rotors on mine are held together by the lug nuts and they are not designed to be separated. YMMV as mine has a Dana 44 front axle. You get them machined as is.

There are both rotors and pads that are designed for better stopping power and the rotors are not that expensive. Since so many have problems with brakes and your's are badly warped, it might be worth it.
witoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 03:53 PM   #3

Thanks. My plan, if mine can be machined, is to go with them for now but with much better brake pads. I personally think the OEM Ford ones are better than most aftermarket, but I do not mean higher performance aftermarket. I may be way wrong about this but I plan to get bigger and better brakes eventually anyway.

Old 06-06-2015, 04:22 PM   #4

I also (unfortunately) have a Quigley, 1995.
I too have the Dana 60, the clearly marked one.

I did the brakes a couple years ago.

If yours are warped, they might not be able to turn them... But best to call what ever shop you plan on using to turn them and ask them if you need to separate the hub/rotor.

Also I'd replace the bearings and races while you're in there. It's such a chore to get everything off anyway, best to tackle it while you're there.

If memory serves me correctly, I used a special 4x4 hub tool to remove the hub, picked one up from the local auto store.
Other oddities (from my cloudy memory bank)

The rotors are one piece, meaning just a rotor.

Then you have the hub, and there's an ABS speed sensor ring on the back side of the rotor. Be very careful with that speed sensor ring if you remove the rotor. They're a PITA getting back on. And if you break it you have to order it directly from Quigley for something like $60(?)

Getting the wheel studs off wasn't that bad, I think I used a brass hammer and punch, and did the reverse when putting them back on.

All in all, its pretty simple. The separate hub/rotor threw me for a loop, that's about it.

Hopefully that explains it all.
PM me if you've got more questions... or need a better explanation.
Old 06-06-2015, 08:27 PM   #5

Thanks man. Good info. I'll take them to the shop with hub on and have them mic'd before I pull them apart.
Old 06-07-2015, 11:40 AM   #6

OK, I'm down to the sensor ring. How do I remove it? Does is spin off or just tap it off carefully with a pry bar?

Thanks
Old 06-07-2015, 05:18 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Scotty
OK, I'm down to the sensor ring. How do I remove it? Does is spin off or just tap it off carefully with a pry bar?

Thanks
Got it off with help from Ramsey. Turns out it's just pressed on. A little PB Blaster, heat and the right pry tool and I had it right off. Just FYI, some hubs Quigley did will allow the rotor to pass over the tone ring, others like mine will not and you have to remove it.

This brake job is becoming a bearing, seal and brake job. Ugh.

Old 09-24-2015, 12:57 PM   #8

Garage

I'm just starting to dig into this on my 02 Quigley... Rotors are done and pads need to be replaced. So I'm gonna go whole hog and replace everything... Brake pads, calipers, brakelines, rotors, rebuild the kingpins, etc...

I have the build sheet from Quigley that shows the part numbers but they mentioned that the rotors need to be machined to clear the abs sensor. Or I could buy a complete hub/rotor assembly from them for $455! Yikes! $900 just to replace the rotors is a bit steep imho.

Obviously I'm leaning towards buying rotors myself and getting them machined. Or even just deleting the abs system and running OEM rotors for now.

How hard is this machining to do and does anyone have comparison pictures showing a stock rotor vs. a modified rotor?
ert01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 08:52 AM   #9

I'm not a DIY owner and stay away from working on the mechanical aspects of our van. When I warped our front rotors coming down the long grade from Donnor Summit at just over 25,000 miles, I ordered slotted rotors through a brake distributor that Quigley recommended and had them first shipped to Quigley to be machined. Quigley then shipped them to me and I had the brake shop install them. I understand that Quigley will provide the information needed to have new rotors machined if you want to have your own shop do it.

Those slotted rotors are still doing their job 110,000 miles later but I downshift ALL of the time rather than stay on the brakes and heat up the rotors.
Old 09-25-2015, 09:32 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ert01
I'm just starting to dig into this on my 02 Quigley... Rotors are done and pads need to be replaced. So I'm gonna go whole hog and replace everything... Brake pads, calipers, brakelines, rotors, rebuild the kingpins, etc...

I have the build sheet from Quigley that shows the part numbers but they mentioned that the rotors need to be machined to clear the abs sensor. Or I could buy a complete hub/rotor assembly from them for $455! Yikes! $900 just to replace the rotors is a bit steep imho.

Obviously I'm leaning towards buying rotors myself and getting them machined. Or even just deleting the abs system and running OEM rotors for now.

How hard is this machining to do and does anyone have comparison pictures showing a stock rotor vs. a modified rotor?
There is a thread on this for the 2002. I did it on my van.
Quigley gives out the drawing. You would need a machine shop to do it.

I bought the cry-slotted rotors I wanted and sent them to Quigley to be machined.
Diagram is in the first thread.

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=480&start=15
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=11185

"A job worth doing is worth doing at least twice."
ANZAC is offline   Reply With Quote