Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-10-2015, 11:36 PM   #1

Ford front ABS Sensors

My '99 e350 has had ABS sensor faults since I got it, presumably since the conversion. I had simply accepted that it was disabled as part of the conversion. Now that I've learned a bit more about this, it looks like I may simply need older sensors (that are electrically different if I understand it correctly). My front axle is a dana 60, and the brakes and rear axle suggest that it came from a ~08 f350.

I can't simply get a set of '99 e350 (2wd) sensors since the mounting is different. So, what do I need? An older f-series sensor? If so, which one?

Did the mounts in the hubs ever change?

Which years did they switch to the newer sensors occur?

This seems much simpler than the RSC case, so, if I can get my ABS back on-line for the cost of a couple of sensors (I can read and clear the ABS codes), then it seems worth doing.

Thanks for any help or pointers to how to search for when the switch happened!!

'99 EB ex ENG KSWB news van, low rent 4x4 conversion (mostly fixed by now), home built interior.
MadScience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 06:20 AM   #2

Re: Ford front ABS Sensors

Is your van a Quigley?

Do you have a pic of the sensors/spindles you have?

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 06:41 PM   #3

So the ABS wires are hooked up? You should probably have it scanned by someone with the proper software to see exactly why the ABS system is throwing the light. Help narrow it down.
ujointoffroad.com
UJOINT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 02:46 PM   #4

The sensors are hooked up, but I have not checked the cables lately, I'll do that when I pull the wheel. I wouldn't be shocked if there was some newer damage there as well.

I have a scan tool that'll read/reset ABS codes on this van, currently they are:

C1155 Front Left Speed Sensor Input Circuit Malfunction
C1230 Wheel Speed Sensor Rear Center Input Circuit Malfunction
C1233 Wheel Speed Left Front Input Signal Missing
C1234 Wheel Speed Right Front Input Signal Missing
C1226 Brake Warning Lamp Ground Short

The latter one is obviously why the warning lamp is not on, and was probably done on purpose before I bought the van. I'm confident that I can sort that, if I can figure out the rest of the story.

The rear center code seems strange since since I have a working (well, off by tire-size) speedometer and odometer. -- I'm trying to locate someone with the right software to re-program that, but that is, I believe (I'd appreciate correction if I'm wrong on this), a separate issue.

My current assumption is that I have a system that expects passive sensors, and what's installed are active sensors. I suppose I could try to confirm what's installed with a scope when I pull the wheel.

I didn't manage to get to pulling the wheel off last night, but I'll get pictures when I do.

Edit: Somehow my post form yesterday didn't publish: The van is one of the Tijuana conversions. I bought it without working ABS (or a working ABS light). It was not advertised as having ABS and I clarified that at the time of purchase. I've lived with this for a couple of years now, but having recently left lots of rubber on the road, where light steering input might have prevented some paint damage, I've started to think about what it would take to get it working. Picking up a couple of sensors certainly seems cheap enough to try, and since this information might be useful to others, I've decided to document this quest here.

'99 EB ex ENG KSWB news van, low rent 4x4 conversion (mostly fixed by now), home built interior.
Old 06-12-2015, 05:39 PM   #5

On my Salem Kroger I had to use different sensor parts. In other words, the van electrical end didn't match the wheel end. So I use E250 at the van end, and then some specific to the wheel assembly in front (F350 IIRC), and just spliced the wires. Van's computer seems to be happy with that; YMMV.
Old 06-12-2015, 07:08 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadScience

Edit: Somehow my post form yesterday didn't publish: The van is one of the Tijuana conversions

Ah, that explains a LOT. Just had the pleasure of fixing one here. So many bad things.....
ujointoffroad.com
UJOINT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 10:15 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob_gendreau
On my Salem Kroger I had to use different sensor parts. In other words, the van electrical end didn't match the wheel end. So I use E250 at the van end, and then some specific to the wheel assembly in front (F350 IIRC), and just spliced the wires. Van's computer seems to be happy with that; YMMV.
Thanks, I suspect I'll need to do something similar.

I'm perfectly happy to splice the wires. I'm just trying to figure out which front sensors to get. At the moment I'm guessing '02 F350 4wd fronts will do, but I'm working on confirming more details.

Old 06-12-2015, 10:24 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by UJOINT
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadScience

Edit: Somehow my post form yesterday didn't publish: The van is one of the Tijuana conversions

Ah, that explains a LOT. Just had the pleasure of fixing one here. So many bad things.....
Yeah, the work is a far cry from what you do. I've seen a couple of your conversions in person over the years. At the time we bought the thing, I really wasn't sure how much we'd use the van, so I went the cheap route. In hindsight, I got a relatively good one and haven't really flinched at having to sort a couple things. If the thing got stolen tomorrow, I'd be torn between one of your conversions and a 4x4 sprinter. I'd have to think hard on how badly I need to tow big stuff.

Old 06-12-2015, 11:15 PM   #9

I pulled the sensor connections, and I see 5V on the van side, which, according to this:

http://www.underhoodservice.com/wheel-s ... nd-scopes/

Makes this a bias voltage system that should have passive sensors.

The sensor side reads 5.7M ohms on one side and 4.7M ohms on the other, which as far as I can tell through other reading doesn't mean anything.

The assumption is still that newer active sensors that came on the newer axle were simply re-used.

It's too late to make noise by running air tools, or dragging a heavy jack into the driveway, so I still haven't pulled the rotor to get a picture of the sensor, hopefully tomorrow morning.

Old 06-13-2015, 12:59 PM   #10

OK, here's a shot of the sensor that I have. It looks like it's been spliced into the old connector as well.

The tone ring has visible teeth which is promising.

The sensor does look more like this ('08 sensor): http://www.amazon.com/Motorcraft-BRAB18 ... super+duty

Than like this ('99 sensor): http://www.amazon.com/Motorcraft-BRAB68 ... super+duty