Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-06-2015, 05:50 PM   #1

tipping; not the rollover kind but for the mechanics

Just had a 4wd conversion finished of 2011 Roadtrek. Very nice job and great mechanical work and mechanics. I left what I thought was a very generous tip, but am wondering if there is any kind of standard, or range, or whatever, for a substantial job like that. So for a say a 20K amount of work, any thoughts or input. This would be for employee mechanics that don't own the shop--just to clarify.

Thanks

pfacdb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 05:56 PM   #2

Re: tipping; not the rollover kind but for the mechanics

$200 cash right into his mitt with a big thank you. Two weeks after it has proven itself of course.
Old 08-06-2015, 08:39 PM   #3

According to Click and Clack, cookies, donuts, and cakes are sufficient.

I take my mechanic to lunch every so often.
larrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 08:54 AM   #4

I am big on tipping, at restaurants, where the server's pay is dependent on it and selling themselves is too. I believe the automotive world is different. No tip necessary. They gave you a price for services rendered and you paid it. Simple as that with a thank you and passing the word along of their good work. Good mechanics are hard to find. Pass the word on about good ones and they should earn a nice living.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 09:37 AM   #5

I tip my dealership dude (drive-train/Ford stuff) with gifts, not cash. I tip Ray (interior/SMB stuff) with cash... usually a rounding-up ($540 on the bill...$600 paid). I'm not sure I can explain why it is this way, but it works well for us all. Both of them answer the phone 24/7 as a result.

The dilemna is how to tip the forum dudes that do the same thing... answer my pleas for help 24/7
"... torpedo'd, because we don't generally cotton to bullshit around here." -jage
"... do they ooch apart in the night?" -Dia
twogone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 03:33 PM   #6
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF

That's a good question, here's how I look at it.....for routine maintenance stuff, no tipping needed, price is as quoted for services rendered, however, if you're talking custom, fab or off time/overtime/throw in extra work stuff, then yes, a tip or other sort of compensation goes a long way. I've been known to stop by on the Friday after that sort of work was completed to drop off a case of cold ones near quittin time, always been appreciated and I feel it buys me a little better customer service for future business, so definitely a 2 way street. Bottom line is, if you want to show them you're pleased with the work that was performed, and it will make you feel good by giving a little extra something, then by all means do so. Cash may be king, but a cold brew on a Friday after work is something they will appreciate even more after a long week......or both!
CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 08:22 PM   #7

I don't think tipping is real common. So anything you want to do for them would be awesome and unexpected I think!
Give him what you are comfortable with and know he will appreciate whatever it is!
Being a dealership slave for 17 years has got me 50 bucks, a flashlight, and a bottle of wine on 2 occasions. Usually it's the service writers and foremen who get the goods since the customers never see the shop or anyone in it.
Hand him whatever you want with a solid handshake and an appreciative smile and it will all be good!
BUFFALO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 10:41 PM   #8

thanks for the tips all. Always interesting to see how we all see things a bit different, which is exactly what I was asking for.
pfacdb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 08:11 PM   #9

If you're slick about it ask some questions during the process of work being done such as what is your favorite restaurant or where do you like to shop and then buy a reasonable sized gift card for the place that they would like to eat/shop at at. That is if you're not sure that same amount in cash would go over well.
Just a thought..
And had three other E350s...
Bbasso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 04:17 PM   #10

My shop bills the mechanics out at $90 / hour. It'll be a cold day in Hell when they get a tip!