Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-08-2015, 10:33 AM   #1

Trying to figure out new wheels/tires

I am pretty much wheel/tire illiterate, but learning. It seems a little complicated. I currently have rims on my rig that are 18x8.5 J (not sure what the J is for). These came with the van along with the 305/65R18 tires. They are huge, and old. I almost had a blowout on the highway, but averted disaster. The spare looks like a stock rim with a 285/75R16. So it's time to replace all 5. The problem I'm having with the 18s and 305s is that the front tire rubs on the sway bar (or something) under the van, significantly restricting turning radius and no doubt shortening the life of my tires.

I'd like to go smaller, but 16" seems like a leap that would visually be too much. So I think I want to go to a 17" wheel and smaller tire, in the hopes that it will help the rub issue and the wallet. All the 17" wheels I see however are 17x9 which is deeper that the 18x8.5 that I now have. Would this be an issue? Also, I don't know what kind of lift I have, only that it's a Quigley.

I like the Mickey Thompson setup as posted by Shredmobile as they are similar to the design of my existing wheels. Just want to make sure they'd work.

Attached Thumbnails
18%22 rim.JPG   Spare on stock rim.JPG   Tire rub.JPG  

ecmccarthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 10:57 AM   #2

Re: Trying to figure out new wheels/tires

You could fit a smaller tire on the 18" wheels you have which might stop the rubbing. I'm guessing it is a combination of the large tire and too much backspacing on your 8.5" wheel. I had a stock height Quigley with 18's and I think I ran a 285/65/18 tire and didn't have any rubbing issues. I don't know what the width/backspacing was though.

Also check out this wheel/tire thread. It's got a ton of pictures and info on what people are running with their suspension setup.
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=15619
Old 10-08-2015, 04:56 PM   #3
Site Team

Garage

I'm guessing that the bottom picture you posted is not of your rig cause that looks like a picture of an SMB conversion not a Quigley. I'm running 315's 75 16's and don't have much of a rubbing
issue on my SMB conversion. My issue is when I pull the disconnect shown in your picture.
If I hit a hole in a tight turn the tire will hit the bushwhacker and can break it. Can't comment on
a Quigley conversion.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 05:21 PM   #4

I'm not sure how you
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecmccarthy
almost had a blowout on the highway, but averted disaster.
but I can say that tire in your last picture is toast... might get you killed... or someone else
"... torpedo'd, because we don't generally cotton to bullshit around here." -jage
"... do they ooch apart in the night?" -Dia
twogone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 07:19 PM   #5

To DaveB, you are right, it is an SMB conversion. I wouldn't know the difference, but looked up my original paperwork from when I bought it through this site. You are also right on the tires being toast - they all look like that. So it's parked until I figure this out.

Anyhow, do you think a 17x9 running something like a 258 or 295 would work or is going with a deeper rim a bad idea?
Old 10-08-2015, 08:09 PM   #6

I would find out what 8 bolt Super Duty Ford F Series wheels were available for your model year. I don't think it says what year your van is. Pick up a set of four on CL or Ebay. Buy some tires. More options will be available for a common sized rim.
j.whitbread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 08:35 PM   #7

[quote="j.whitbread"]I would find out what 8 bolt Super Duty Ford F Series wheels were available for your model year. I don't think it says what year your van is. Pick up a set of four on CL or Ebay. Buy some tires. More options will be available for a common sized rim.[/quote

It's a 2003. Why Ford Super Duty F Series? Wouldn't I want to look up E-Series?
Old 10-08-2015, 08:44 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecmccarthy
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.whitbread
I would find out what 8 bolt Super Duty Ford F Series wheels were available for your model year. I don't think it says what year your van is. Pick up a set of four on CL or Ebay. Buy some tires. More options will be available for a common sized rim.[/quote

It's a 2003. Why Ford Super Duty F Series? Wouldn't I want to look up E-Series?
My guess is the bolt pattern on the wheels is changed from standard E Series to F Series to accommodate the front axle, which are almost always out of an F Series.
j.whitbread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 09:07 PM   #9

You could try a smaller tire on your existing rims if you don't want to replace everything. It's hard to tell haw bad the rubbing is and how much it restricts your turning radius. Any idea what the backspacing of the rims is??
cjken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 09:45 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjken
You could try a smaller tire on your existing rims if you don't want to replace everything. It's hard to tell haw bad the rubbing is and how much it restricts your turning radius. Any idea what the backspacing of the rims is??

I actually do want to replace everything. Looks like the backspacing is 6".