Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-31-2015, 07:47 PM   #1

Lifting an Express or Savana....

Hello all,

I am interested in lifting an Express or Savana van. After talking to a buddy who was a GM Tech for seven years, I am pretty confident in the 5.3L engine, AWD, and StabiliTrac sytems. Some basic research is ongoing there, but for my purposes (passenger use only, very light towing under 500lbs, nearly all on-road use, control on snow and ice, etc.), these vans should be sufficient. MOST IMPORTANTLY, they are available in my area. I am in Alaska. Availability of vans, and reduction of serious logistical pain (inspection and payment of unseen vehicles, shipping to 4x4 builder, transport to Alaska, etc., etc.) are all issues that I would rather not deal with. If I was in the 'lower 48', things would be much different for me.

Still, I will do some mods, starting with a lift kit to get a better 'stance', ground clearance, and 30-33" tires underneath. I am aware of Boulder OffRoad and just sent them a message. Their stuff looks pretty good. Anything I should be aware of with them sending a kit to me? How about other builders? Anybody else providing kits for these vans? Reliability, durability, and functionality of the AWD and StabiliTrac systems are of utmost importance. Any other recommendations or guidance for me to consider?

Thanks very much in advance,
Phil

AKPhil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 08:55 PM   #2

Re: Lifting an Express or Savana....

Boulder off-road seems to be a reputable company from what I have found, although I have no first hand experience. I would love to have there 6" kit but the price was a bit steep for my budget.
There 2-3" kit seems reasonable, but you can piece together comparable parts for bit less. A 2-3" lift will clear 32s and with minor trimming 33s.
You might find this thread on expedition portal informative if you go the express/savana AWD route.
http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/t ... nfo-thread
TeleSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 09:47 PM   #3

Steve,

Good info, thanks. I will check out the thread and appreciate your perspective on Boulder.

Phil
Old 11-01-2015, 01:22 AM   #4
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF

Boulder Offroad builds some really nice rigs, they made some improvements to my Quigley, they know their stuff and the fab work is top notch.
CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 02:19 AM   #5

Great news, thanks Rick. That confirmation is assuring. I will (hopefully) be doing business when I hear back from them. I will also ask what other suggestions they may have, if any, on improving performance in this tentative van purchase.

Best,
Phil
Old 11-01-2015, 06:10 AM   #6

Related to Alaska: a few days ago I saw on the Anchorage CL that someone was parting out the interior from an SMB van that looked like it had rolled. If you are doing a home build you might want to check it out.
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 03:23 PM   #7

Just found it, Brian. Thank you.