Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-06-2015, 03:24 PM   #1

Outer tire wear with Camburg lift

I picked up my van from Camburg in the beginning of July and have put about 2200 miles on it. I put on brand new 285's and the front tires are wearing the outer edge. When I got the lift installed, Camburg said my ball joints and sway bar bushings needed to be replaced (120k miles), so I had them do it.

I'm planning on getting the tires rotated and have the alignment checked. Right now, the van tracks pretty straight, but feels nervous/twitchy when I hit bumps. From what I've read, I think I need to have +caster added to stabilize the front, but I'm not sure what would cause the outer tire wear.

With respect to alignments, the tire shop I go to doesn't have a laser alignment. They have the older rack. Should I be going to a shop with a laser alignment?

Any help is appreciated.

Old 11-06-2015, 04:20 PM   #2

Re: Outer tire wear with Camburg lift

Sounds like too much toe-in (if the tread is "feathered"), or too much positive camber. I-beams aren't exactly known for good/even tire wear, but if it is noticeable in just 2200 miles, I'd bet an alignment is in order. With I-beams at one end and a detroit locker at the other, I rotate straight front to back every oil change (5k miles), I am just beginning to notice uneven tread wear on my mud terrains at that point. How are your tierod ends?
TheLetterJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 04:40 PM   #3

I'll take a pic of the tire wear when I get off work. What do I look for when looking at tie rod ends?
Old 11-06-2015, 04:49 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikracer
What do I look for when looking at tie rod ends?
Slop/free play......sometimes hard to tell. Jack up the wheel, see if there is any play in the tie rod end if you wiggle the tire left to right. Or alternately have someone look at the tie rods ends with the van parked and someone else turning the steering wheel left and right through a decent arc like 180 degrees or so.
2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 05:54 PM   #5

Front tire...

The back end of each outer lug is lower(worn more?) than the front end of the lug.

Rear tire...
Old 11-06-2015, 06:30 PM   #6

I actually took the van into the tire shop to have the alignment checked 2 weeks after I picked it up (about 400 miles). The shop I took it to has an old alignment rack, not the laser alignment system.

The guy said everything was "perfect". Here are the numbers I have...

toe = +1/16
camber = R 0 L 0
caster = R 6 1/8 L 5 1/8

From what I've read, caster should be the same on both sides otherwise it can affect steering. Maybe thats why my van has bump steer?
Old 11-07-2015, 09:38 AM   #7

Got the tires rotated and alignment checked. Ball joint on the driver's side has movement. Just had Camburg replace them when the lift was put on.
Old 11-07-2015, 09:53 AM   #8

The upper? Was the pinch bolt on the I-beam (the one that locks the alignment cam/ ball joint in place) loose?
TheLetterJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 09:56 AM   #9

Not sure Jay. The guy jacked the front and got a large pry bar and put it under the tire. The tire had up and down movement.
Old 11-08-2015, 04:34 AM   #10
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF

You may have a few things going on other than alignment. I'd find out if Camburg replaced both upper and lower, L/R, and with what brand, if they used a cheap off brand, you may have gotten a bad one, or its shot already, I would have them cover the cost of replacing them with at least quality units from Spicer, Dynatrack makes HD units, moog units have had some negative reviews lately. Tie rod ends may need replacement too, any solid shop will be able to tell. If you have a similar sway bar setup as mine was, your bump steer could be from wallowed out sway bar frame bushings, look at where your front sway bar ends are in the i beam, check to see if there's movement or if they float in that hole. You could either replace those bushings for the easiest fix, boulder Offroad made me a new mounting bracket for a larger sway bar and finished it off with proper end links instead of terminating in frame bushings, this new setup is much better for heavier rigs, the end result is much less body roll, much more front end control without the slop and the elimination of bump steer, so much nicer to drive now.
CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote