Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-20-2012, 11:02 AM   #1

Nitto Longer Term Review- Meh

I've been a big fan of the Nitto, Toyo's off-brand AT tire so much so that I put them on my SMB after putting them on my wife's F250.

WELL...

The word was they don't wear well, and after 36,000 miles I can confirm that. I bought them in Feb 2009 at 44,000 and we've put 36,000 very light miles on them only to have this be my "last rotation". Two are essentially bald and the other two will be after 5K. The two that aren't bald are cupped and vibrate.

Discount Tire said they never last their lifetime, the weird thing is for the first 3 years and about 30K they seemed to be wearing great. It's only recently they've really taken a turn for the worse.

The problem is they are really great tires, and I still like them so do I try something different (Hankook's) or do the Nitto again once my last rotation is up- knowing they'll wear out too soon. Tough decision.

Old 08-20-2012, 11:24 AM   #2

Re: Nitto Longer Term Review- Meh

... "very light miles"... Bwaaaaahahahaha

"... torpedo'd, because we don't generally cotton to bullshit around here." -jage
"... do they ooch apart in the night?" -Dia
twogone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 12:12 PM   #3
Site Team

Garage

My Toyo MT's are going fast. I'm thinking Hankook 315 MT's my next go around provided they are rated for the weight...weight of the van fully loaded with me in it.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 01:57 PM   #4

I had the Nitto's AT on my SMB and they were done at around 30k miles. I was not impressed with them and when the tread goes they get really slippery on anything except pavement.

edit... I had the Nitto terragrapplers AT
Roonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 02:53 PM   #5

I've had the same experience with my Nitto Terragrappler A/T's. I have the E-rated 285/75/16 and have done a five tire rotation with them every 7k miles (if not sooner). I'm almost a 4 years and 40,000 miles and they definitely need to be replaced. Actually, they needed to be replaced about 8 months ago.

My other complaint about this tire is that they were miserable in the mud. Other than that, I thought they were great tires.
Old 08-20-2012, 04:25 PM   #6

Send a message via Yahoo to Zeta

I thought 30k miles on mud terrain tires, carrying 10,000lbs and used mostly on hot highways is about all one can expect. Non précis?

Z

https://www.tomsinclair.net
Zeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 05:11 PM   #7

I've got the Hankook 315/75/16 E MT. It's rated at 3860 lbs @ 65psi.

I got them 'cause they were the cheapest tire in the class available around here and I didn't expect great wear but I've got 16,000 miles on them now and they look like they'll go another 30K easy.

I took 'em to Les Schwab and had them siped and that's worked well, no extra wear or chunking.

All but a few miles have been on dry pavement or gravel so I can't testify about their mud or snow handling. They are a bit noisy but I'm near deaf so that's not much of a problem.
Old 08-20-2012, 07:20 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeta
I thought 30k miles on mud terrain tires, carrying 10,000lbs and used mostly on hot highways is about all one can expect. Non précis?

Z
I think 30k is a fair distance for tires whose main mission isn't mileage. It's all a trade off when it comes to tires. I made the decision to go with a more street tread so hopefully I'll beat the 30k mark. If I was doing more aggressive off road stuff I probably would go with the Toyo MT's.

Gnarvan 1992 E350 Clubwagon
Advanced 4WD Systems Conversion

Sotar Legend 12.5' X 22" Cataraft
2003 BMW R1150GS-Adventure
2013 BMW R1200GS-Adventure
Gnarvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 08:28 PM   #9
Site Team

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viejo
I've got the Hankook 315/75/16 E MT. It's rated at 3860 lbs @ 65psi.

I got them 'cause they were the cheapest tire in the class available around here and I didn't expect great wear but I've got 16,000 miles on them now and they look like they'll go another 30K easy.

I took 'em to Les Schwab and had them siped and that's worked well, no extra wear or chunking.

All but a few miles have been on dry pavement or gravel so I can't testify about their mud or snow handling. They are a bit noisy but I'm near deaf so that's not much of a problem.
Hey Bill, let us all know how those tires do. I really have heard good about em. The price is just another reason. I'm not "near deaf" yet but the stereo is jammin and the Toyo's ain't exactly quiet.

Dave

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 11:22 PM   #10

M55's!

If only they offered more sizes.

I've got about 55,000 on my rear tires which are balding fast. But I've got almost 100,000 on my fronts, and they could easily go another 15,000. I almost break wheels more often than I wear out tires.

My main complaint is the low speed rating (88 MPH), and they can take a lot of weight to balance which doesn't work well with the new ban on lead weights in OR.