Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-04-2014, 03:36 PM   #1

Nor Cal '95

This just popped up. Not Mine.
My only reserve with any Cali vehicle, 1995, and older is that the fuel system gets checked.
Could be a hassles at smog time.
The '96 and up just has the gas cap checked. The fuel system is backed up through the diagnostics.

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/rvs/4553110162.html

regis101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 08:31 AM   #2

Garage
Re: Nor Cal '95

Just bought it! My first SMB. Love it love it love it.
Drove down from Ukiah over the course of the last week. Runs great! But definitely needs the steering/suspension tightened down somehow.....looks like the original factory shocks fom 1995 are still underneath, and I don't think it has any kind of steering stabilizer. Any recommendations on shocks and overall handling improvement mods would be greatly appreciated. Glad to finally be on board the SMB train
MountainBikeRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 09:02 AM   #3
Site Team

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainBikeRoamer
Drove down from Ukiah over the course of the last week. Runs great! But definitely needs the steering/suspension tightened down somehow.....looks like the original factory shocks fom 1995 are still underneath, and I don't think it has any kind of steering stabilizer. Any recommendations on shocks and overall handling improvement mods would be greatly appreciated. Glad to finally be on board the SMB train
Congrats. Seems like the Quigley folks are really liking Agile off road and he is in CA.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=11630

http://agileoffroad.com/wordpress/4x4-van-conversion/

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 09:18 AM   #4

Garage

Thanks!! I was originally looking for a Dodge SMB (lower height, and I'm kind of a Mopar guy at heart....) but the Ford seemed like it had more options to improve/modify it, as well as a bigger community of people driving 'em and sharing their learnings/experiences. Plus....the "earth-roamer-modified" (my term for the lifted/Quigley/racks-and-flares versions) Ford SMB's look AMAZING.

Big thanks also for the heads-up on Agile. The front-end arrangement on their Quigley rig looks fantastic. I'm curious to learn if their engineered steering stabilizer setups also can be mated to 2WD vans as well.

Can't wait to hit the road again.

Cheers ---
MountainBikeRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 09:43 AM   #5
Site Team

Garage

Ramsey is quite active on the site and I'd suggest you PM (Message) him. The thread(s) basically speaks for itself...lots of happy people after he's done the retrofit.

Good Luck.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 09:00 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainBikeRoamer
Congrats! I missed the CL ad, what did you get? Pics?
rallypanam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 06:51 PM   #7

fwiw, my 98 Club Wagon always seems a tad loose in front. Has a bit of shimmy above 65.
I'll look at it one of these days.
Ball joints, rotors and bearings were replaced. Bushings and steering is what's left.

I do have after market wheels and tires. I remember that the tires were not clocked using the red and/or yellow dots. That was before I knew the deal. I'll know next time.

I replaced my shocks with FLAPS replacements. OK for what they are. Could use better.

It is one of the better reliable vehicles I have owned. Not afraid to take it anywhere.

Pardon my beg with the negative <96 smog info. Didn't mean anything other than a maintenance point.

Enjoy.

And remember, we need pic's or it didn't happen.
Thems the rulz
regis101 is offline   Reply With Quote