Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-06-2014, 07:44 AM   #1

Garage
couple of 4x4 vans in idaho falls idaho.

i know that the eb thats at this lot has been there forever, but i was in town and stopped to take a look at it. ended up being another one there and both had the exact same suspension setup. no idea whose conversions these are, but they look rather stout. if you know who converted these, please post up, im interested to know origin. i sent derek a message asking if it was his 4x4 conversion, but havent heard back from him yet.

both vans are in great shape on the exterior, and the eb was nice inside (it was unlocked), but 100% workhorse as it had a bulkhead, no rear seating and tie down rails. it did look like all interior panels were oem, something id never seen, and it had a nice cage around the rear heat/ac unit. my pix didnt turn out of the eb, but heres the online link: http://www.rightpriceautoid.com/2005-FO ... ls-ID-1800

the other was a ccv converted rb with his new poptop and looked like it seated 8. had 2 winches installed and 4 rotopax gas containers on the rear. bumpers were also very stout, but i dont know the brand. anyway, heres a few pix.

sorry bout crappy cell pix

both vans were 6.0's and both had remote oil setups. if anyone is wants any more pix, let me know. ill be by the lot again today before i leave town. if not i have family here and im sure my brother in law would have no problems stopping by to get a few more pix. i actually went to high school with the lot owner, but havent talked to him since the 1900's.

"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 10:39 AM   #2

Re: couple of 4x4 vans in idaho falls idaho.

The interior panels on the EB are from American Body Company in OH, they vans are shipped there after Ford finishes them, and they are installed before going to the dealer.

Coincidently, I have a set I pulled out of my van if anyone wants them.
Waterski02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 02:00 PM   #3

I bought my 03 7.3 Quigley EB from this guy last year. Owner was good to work with but I was quite frustrated that he never followed through on his promise of getting me all of the old build info. My van has the same suspension setup which is Quigley setup modified with Heim joints.
Taylor3633 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 02:57 PM   #4

Interesting set up for the front axle, gives me an idea to modify mine to move it forward.
Just need go in depth to see if solid over time.
Thanks for sharing, if someone has further information on this modification am also interested.
AndrewST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 04:01 PM   #5

I would not call that suspension the same as Quigley. Quigley use Short-and-long trailing arms.

This is basically a less-strong radius arm. The upper control arm is fixed to the lower arm, so all it allows is pinion angle adjustment. It also loads the middle of the lower arm in bending. The stock Ford Radius arm are massive to react to torque from the axle. Quiqley tubes don't need to be as large because the tubes primarily are in compression in tension. This setup... I'm not sure what to think, but I wouldn't trust it under my rig. It would be pretty scary if that lower arm buckled under hard braking.
Old 07-06-2014, 04:44 PM   #6

Location: Rancho Nuevo (Cabo/Todos Santos) B.C.S. and San Diego, CA

Not Quigley or Quigley design. It is possible it is someone's suspension modification for Quigley's.

Similar to this "Long Arm" kit used on many Jeeps:

Can't tell who converted these.

AgileOffRoad.com
BajaSportsmobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 06:46 AM   #7

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by carringb
... This setup... I'm not sure what to think, but I wouldn't trust it under my rig. It would be pretty scary if that lower arm buckled under hard braking.
i dont have a reason why i wondered if this was a good setup or not, but your reasoning makes sense. the arms are very stout looking, but wondered why they mounted the upper arm that way. as always, thanks for the responce.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajaSportsmobile
Not Quigley or Quigley design. It is possible it is someone's suspension modification for Quigley's. Can't tell who converted these.
after getting home and taking a second look at mine, it doesnt appear to be a modded quigley. the main mounting bracket for the swingarms is considerably farther back and theres no evidence that there was ever the usual quigley mounting brackets. no extra holes, no grinds, no weld leavins.

never heard back from derek, but after taking a look at ccv's site, this conversion design doesnt look to be anything like what he offers. either his quigley replacement arms or his start to finish 4x4 conversions. he obviously had the van with the topper at some point though, maybe he will know the origins??

these arent javier vans are they??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylor3633
I bought my 03 7.3 Quigley EB from this guy last year. Owner was good to work with but I was quite frustrated that he never followed through on his promise of getting me all of the old build info. My van has the same suspension setup which is Quigley setup modified with Heim joints.
if your van is actually a quigley, you can contact them direct to get original build sheets. all they will need is your vin #. the girl i worked with was really nice and i had all my build info within a few days.
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
Old 07-08-2014, 06:57 AM   #8

Garage

called the lot yesterday evening and talked with the owner. after some catching up, i inquired about the vans and it sounds like he is doing these conversions in house. he took my email and said he would send me all the info about how they are converted and what all is done. ill share whatever info he sends over once i get it.

he also makes the bumpers and all accessories associated with them, spare tire swingout, can holders, brushguards, etc. sounds like custom requests are an option as well. he did all the rhino lining, which also looked very well done.

while the design is different and questionable to some, i will say that i was impressed by the quality of the conversion. every weld looked better than anything quigley did on my van and all the heim joints were freaking huge and seemd to be overkill. really wish i would have been able to drive one of them while i was there. would love to hear some imput about drivability from someone who is driving one of his conversions.
Old 07-11-2014, 12:10 AM   #9

From the pics, the workmanship looks excellent.

Watch out for "overbuilt". Its sometimes a substitute for proper load paths.

Critical components in bending, combined with a little extra compliance, can cause situations like this:
[youtube:16n1792n]
Old 07-11-2014, 07:54 AM   #10

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by carringb
Watch out for "overbuilt". Its sometimes a substitute for proper load paths.
can you dumb this down a little for me? i dont understand was a proper load path is.

i do understand your explaination about hard braking and stressing the one single control arm and how that single arm could buckle with this setup, but im not familiar with the suspension of the vehicle in the video, so i really dont know what or how it failed.