Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-12-2014, 04:14 PM   #1

2002 E-350 Potential buy questions

Hi all - Just found this forum today and am very excited to learn everything I can about these awesome vans. I've wanted a SMB for quite sometime but just can not afford one at this time. So I have decided to build my own, with some help of course. I have been looking for a good starter van for about a month and found a 2002 E-350 with the 7.3 Powerstroke diesel, 146,000 miles with the Quigley 4x4 conversion. He or she has not sent me pics yet but is going to send me some tomorrow as he is getting the van detailed. I've asked some general questions and it is not built out yet (inside is empty), does not have a lift but he said that there is a "next release in the rear springs which makes it sit up fairly tall, would look awesome with a leveling kit". I'm not sure what a next release is so was curious about that? I also asked about the gears (4:10, 3:73, etc), asked about suspension and a lift, and asked if it has had any engine or tranny issues in the past. He is the second owner of the vehicle and said that he bought the van from the original owners as a flip, so I assume he paid for the 4x4 conversion but he did not specify. Does anyone have some good questions to ask before I drive to check this thing out? It's about a 6 hour drive away. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

FCFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 06:30 PM   #2

Re: 2002 E-350 Potential buy questions

I would try to get as much info and pictures as you can before you head out there. 6 hours is a long ways to drive just to look at a vehicle. If you disclose the location, there may be a member thats local to it that can check it out for you. Someone did that for me, although the sale fell through.

With that many miles, I would ask if the transmission has been rebuilt or replaced. Apparently that trans is good for about 150k miles before it starts to give. Some last longer but some dont so if its been done, thats a big plus for you.

If you look in the 4x4 section of this forum, theres a thread on there about something called the "RIP" package. Its basically an improvement package that one of the members designed that gives Quigley 4x4 vehicles more suspension travel, better handling and ride. Seems everyone that gets it is extremely happy with it.
Old 09-12-2014, 08:27 PM   #3

Great, thanks for the info. It's in Casper WY and he's asking $13,900. I found it on craigslist. Hopefully he sends some good pics. I'll post the link to the add on here once he does upload some pics. Thanks again!!
FCFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 08:56 PM   #4

Welcome and good luck!

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 04:14 PM   #5
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF
2002 E-350 Potential buy questions

Love my '03 7.3L Quigley, I've done lots of things to improve the ride over the years including Deaver rear springs and as already mentioned, most recently, Agile off road "RIP"(ride improvement package)
http://agileoffroad.com/wordpress/ride- ... t-package/ both made a huge difference and I am now more than happy driving it daily. I just turned almost 130K on our AK trip this summer, never had any engine problems. Just make sure you go over and know of anything on the rig that needs immediate attention that would affect sale price, aside from shocks, check the ujoints on both shafts, ball joints, tie rods, brakes.....I've since replaced and upgraded all of those things on our rig and would expect if it hasn't been done yet, some or all of those parts will need attention.
Good luck, lots of build threads for some ideas on your interior. Welcome to the addiction!!
CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote