Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-01-2015, 09:39 AM   #1
Site Team

Killer price of $6K (unless it's a typo)

A little bit of an older rig, but in the pics it looks sweet. Could use a color change/update on the fabric, but at this price, who cares? At this price, if it had the more forward facing seating, I would be seriously tempted. Someone should buy this.

No affiliation.

1997, Sportsmobile pop-up Camper Van in good condition. Just the right size for travel comfort. Use it to go travel across country or city streets, back roads and mountains, It has a stove, refrigerator, microwave, sink, two beds, and plenty of storages places. Look over the pictures and than give me a call.

http://maine.craigslist.org/cto/4988985289.html

Old 05-01-2015, 10:41 AM   #2

Re: Killer price of $6K (unless it's a typo)

210,000 miles though...
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 10:49 AM   #3
Site Team

You could drop a new/reman engine and trans in there, and still come out ahead.
Old 05-01-2015, 12:42 PM   #4

Where's Ramsey? I'm surprised he hasn't snagged that up for one of his Baja rigs.
Old 05-02-2015, 04:36 AM   #5

I think he decided against the Baja venture?
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 07:59 AM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianW
I think he decided against the Baja venture?
Hadn't heard that, but wouldn't surprise me. Seems every time Ramsey "retires" he finds some new business venture to add the stress back into his life. I think he's addicted to working.

Herb
Old 05-07-2015, 07:01 PM   #7

I went and checked this one out today. Short story long... I had 6k in my pocket and didn't even make an offer. It probably is worth that to someone, but if your interested pm me and I we can talk.
-Morgan
Old 05-07-2015, 07:12 PM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by macdadmorgan
I went and checked this one out today. Short story long... I had 6k in my pocket and didn't even make an offer. It probably is worth that to someone, but if your interested pm me and I we can talk.
-Morgan
Too bad it wasn't quite the deal I thought it was.

Herb
Old 05-07-2015, 09:11 PM   #9

Looks like it could have major rust potential. Trust me, I would know.
CaptainVo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 04:48 AM   #10

I have had a few people PM me already. So I am going to disclose what I did not like about the vehicle.
First and foremost the rust. The rocker panel on the driver door was rusted through, and above the exhaust on the rear quarter. And a few other little spots of cancer here and there.
The propane tank was rusted up pretty good and think you'd have a hard time finding someone to fill it.
Even though the guy put new house batteries and it three years ago, I don't think he took care of them. I forgot to bring a voltmeter.
The ABS light was on, even though it was in the shop earlier that week for a PCV valve or something of that nature. The guy didn't know or have a receipt.
The brakes felt very weak.
One of the blinkers was out, and if it was in the shop earlier that week why wouldn't you pay the six dollars for a new one. Unless something else is going on. Who knows? There was a point I stopped asking questions.
There was either a slight exhaust leak, or a little valvetrain noise. It got fainter as the engine warmed up more.
The rear passenger fender flare was broken off however was still inside the van.

The top, and canvas we're in pretty good shape, as was the interior for its age. It was from SMB South Andy install build look pretty clean. It did not have a water pump or tank, just a gray water holding tank and city hook up. The refrigerator was running, but not too cold when I got there. Not sure if the pinstriping on the van was clearcoated over, but if you could remove that the color was actually very nice.

My plan was to buy it, steal the top for my van, and put a fiberglass junkyard top on and flip it. It would have been a real lot of work for me to be able to break even. It wouldn't be a bad rig for somebody who has a lot of time on their hands, and doesn't hate the F out of bodywork!

Here is the guys website, I was going to have him throw in a book if I bought it.
Stevejaynes.com

The price may be fair, just not a raging deal. Will be a good rig for someone. Good luck to you that someone.

-Morgan