Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-24-2013, 12:15 AM   #1
Site Team

Garage
6.0 PSD just dies

During the last couple of trips I've had the engine just die during idle or low RPM. I did notice one time it produced a couple of "coughs" and didn't stall, but of the 4 events this last week, 2 were at idle and 1 was at a slow speed (under 5MPH). It made me a bit nervous while I was in the back country on some fairly difficult trails but it never failed to re-start. I had hoped maybe some bad fuel might have been the cause I picked up in Yosemite but really don't think so. Also it seemed to happen above 3000 feet.
No check engine light and it almost acted like the fuel was cut off.

A couple of years ago the same thing happened to me out of state but the dealership never found the cause. Also during that time the engine didn't crank over as easy.

Anybody have a clue what I need to look for?

I'd hate to have a mechanic bill me for bad fuel but I also don't need to be stuck out on a trail if something is beginning to fail.

Thanks
Dave

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 08:06 AM   #2

Garage
Re: 6.0 PSD just dies

Might be water in the fuel. I would remove the primary fuel filter (drivers side frame rail) and take a look. Pretty easy and it will confirm your suspicions. Anything else would need a mechanic (FICM, IPC, CPS, frayed wires etc)
Old 04-24-2013, 08:26 AM   #3
Site Team

Fuel cut-off could also be caused by an issue with the high pressure oil system, which controls the injectors.

One thing you can check next time it happens, is if you see any froth on the dipstick oil, which can be a sign of over-filling the oil. Frothy oil won't let the high pressure oil pump operate correctly.

It's always tough to trouble-shoot intermitent problems, and challenging when there are numerous single point failure mechanisms on such complicated vehicles.

Herb
Old 04-24-2013, 09:50 AM   #4

Dave

I think you need to seek professional help.

Gnarvan 1992 E350 Clubwagon
Advanced 4WD Systems Conversion

Sotar Legend 12.5' X 22" Cataraft
2003 BMW R1150GS-Adventure
2013 BMW R1200GS-Adventure
Gnarvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 10:45 AM   #5
Site Team

Garage

I need to find a real diesel mechanic (other than Ford) around here who's willing to work on it. All our shop guys hate my van or any van for that matter that has a 6.0 PSD.

First I'm gonna check to see if it threw any codes. No check engine light though. I was thinking cam or crank sensor. If they can't find anything I wonder if it's wise just to replace all the sensors that can make that happen. I do plan to replace all the fuel filters as they're close to needing to be replaced anyway. I hope it's not anything to do with the HP oil system.

Old 04-24-2013, 01:09 PM   #6

6.0 PSD just dies

Carringb is the guy to talk to. Maybe he'll chime in.
Ocsmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 01:17 PM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveb
I need to find a real diesel mechanic (other than Ford) around here who's willing to work on it. All our shop guys hate my van or any van for that matter that has a 6.0 PSD.

First I'm gonna check to see if it threw any codes. No check engine light though. I was thinking cam or crank sensor. If they can't find anything I wonder if it's wise just to replace all the sensors that can make that happen. I do plan to replace all the fuel filters as they're close to needing to be replaced anyway. I hope it's not anything to do with the HP oil system.
Dave,

If Sacramento isn't too far away for you, try Ken Imler Diesel. A diesel only shop, so they shouldn't be shy about working on your SMB. Years ago, had them do some gauges and a few other things on my SMB when I had some other business in the area.

Herb
Old 04-24-2013, 01:49 PM   #8

I would start by changing out filters, and pulling the water drain plug do make sure the HFCM isn't sludged up. But plugged filters or HFCM cause a loss of power under high-load, so if aren't having problems then.... its likely elsewhere.

Symptoms do sound like low fuel delivery pressure to me. Problems with idle can often be a faulty ICP sensor or solenoid. You really need a some sort of diagnostics tool so you can see whats going on. Also be a good idea to check your FICM voltage. It you have a bad battery or failing alternator, you could have low supply voltage at low RPM, which will make the FICM voltage drop.

If you get to the point where it takes long cranking to start, try temporarily unplugging the ICP solenoid, and if it starts easy after that, you found your problem.

If you have a way to monitor the ICP solenoid, and it's duty cycle is maxing out but injector pressure is still lower than commanded, that could also mean a failing HPOP, or a starved HPOP because the HPOP sump screen is sludged up. Or could be simply a sticking ICP solenoid, and the only good way to test that is swap for a known good one.

That's what I can think of off-hand. Hope that helps helps?
Old 04-24-2013, 09:09 PM   #9
Site Team

Garage

Yep that does help. Thanks. I'll take all the info I can get at this point. I really hope to find a code. It was like somebody turned off the key. Each time it fired up like normal. And it never sputtered at all... just "off". The voltage looked good at least one time I was looking. I don't have the aux battery assist enabled so I know it's not a starting battery issue. My buddy is going to adjust the speedometer for the 315's I put on, so he'll look for codes. My hands were sweating on the last trail. It would have cost a bundle to have a mechanic to come up and fix it. I'm thinking heavy on purchasing a program like Zeta has. At least if it does throw a code I can give the mechanic a clue what is needed. I've built small block Chevys in the 70's but these things are very advanced, a PITA, and beyond my will/ability to work on.

Old 04-24-2013, 09:12 PM   #10
Site Team

Garage

Herb, Sac is about 2 hours away. I've asked around but have been SOL in trying to find a local. Search continues...