Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-01-2013, 12:56 PM   #1

Transit Diesel Specs

Here's a little info on the new Transit diesel:
http://wot.motortrend.com/2014-ford-...#axzz2UzZC88tT

Not quite 6.0 power, but weght-to-power will probably be close (at least for an empty van). Certainly beats the Sprinter. But then again the EcoBoost puts out 365 HP and there's already tuners out to crank out another 90+ HP. I do see the advantage with all-diesel appliances.

Also remember, its not a new diesel, only new to us. Hopefully the EPA stuff doesn't ruin it. So far I haven't seen much written about problem areas.

Old 06-01-2013, 10:20 PM   #2

Transit Diesel Specs

Makes it cooler but still not good looking
Ocsmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 03:42 AM   #3

Re: Transit Diesel Specs

I find it to be much better looking then the Nissan and would love to see a 4wd

The Redneck Mexican
2002 E350 7.3 PSD 4x4 8inch lift pop top conversion....
Van Specialties build out
buckkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 01:49 AM   #4

Transit Diesel Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckkiller
I find it to be much better looking then the Nissan and would love to see a 4wd

The Redneck Mexican
2002 E350 7.3 PSD 4x4 8inch lift pop top conversion....
That's not saying much but I can agree to that.
Ocsmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 02:59 PM   #5

Manufacturers tend to round off power and torque ratings so ours could be a little different. The Metric ratings for this engine have been 200 PS and 470 Nm. Ford may keep the rating around 200 HP and 350 lb-ft, but with Mercedes and others pushing 80 HP per liter for small-displacement diesels, I’d be surprised if Ford doesn’t bump the ratings up a little. Power and torque ratings are also sometimes limited by transmission and chassis capabilities which shouldn’t apply with the Transit since the EcoBoost has a lot more power than the 3.2 diesel.
Chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 08:40 PM   #6

Seeing how Ford has a tendency to really conservatively rate their engines before launch, I won't be surprise if the numbers really rise by launch. This is cause Ford wants to see how much power the competition has before their product launch. Then they'll launch official power ratings. In the case of the Super Duty truck's 6.7L diesel V8, they conservatively rated it before officially rating it at 400 horsepower and 800 pounds of torque. Also, keep in mind that the engines on average were detuned in the Ford vans for reasons such as overheating concerns, fuel efficiency, etc. as seen on the Econoline all these years. So we'll have to wait and see. Of course, with Ford's recent announcement that the Transit has been postponed to summer 2014 due to supplier issues, we'll really have to wait now.
pffan1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 07:40 AM   #7

Car and Driver tested five diesel SUVs all with 3-liter 6-cylinder engines and four of them were rated at 240 HP. The BMW was rated higher at 265 HP. Torque ratings ranged from 406 to 455 lb-ft; highest being the Mercedes. Obviously the Ford Transit’s 3.2-liter 5-cylinder is slightly larger in displacement but probably can’t rev as high due to larger displacement per cylinder; which may limit max RPM and specific power.

Although these five SUVs are not meant for commercial applications as is the case for the Transit, four of them are still rated to tow in excess of 7,000 pounds (BMW maxed out at 6,000 pounds). Present technology certainly seems to exist to support higher engine ratings (up to around 250 HP and 450 lb-ft of torque) but I’d guess they won’t go that high because it would affect durability in a more demanding commercial application.
Chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 04:46 PM   #8

There is a new article online Truck Trend magazine for the August 2013 issue, where the upcoming Transit diesel engine is discussed in lots of detail. The only unknown info at this time is the power and fuel ratings. The article details the changes the engine will undergo for the American market in comparison to the one already in use of the global Ranger. Quite interesting read and I'm not sure of the Truck Trend credibility, but the article does say a possible 25% increase in fuel efficiency in Transit diesel compared to existing Super Duty PowerStroke diesel engine. Happy reading!

http://www.trucktrend.com/roadtests/163 ... irst_look/
Old 04-25-2015, 11:57 PM   #9

Well almost two years has since passed since the last post here, but it looks like the Quigley Transit 4x4 is on the way to market soon!

Pickup Trucks site has done a quick review of the conversion where it was tested at Moab in Utah, so the conversion must be pretty durable. However note that the Transit used is a short wheelbase short roof. No info is given on how well it does on the longer wheelbase and higher roof although I'm sure there will be restriction on packaging as far as length and height. The article says the front end is based on F-150 4x4 and pictures show a true manual transfer case with 4H and 4L! The writer says the 3.5L EcoBoost is too powerful for 4x4 and that the 3.2L turbodiesel I5 would possibly be best for Transit 4x4. The best thing is that conversion price stays around the same price as the conversion for Econoline.

http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2015/04/qu ... t-4x4.html