Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-13-2013, 08:23 PM   #1

Bulletproof Oil Cooler and AMSOil Bypass Filter Connected

The van is in the shop undergoing some extensive engine improvements. I'll cover everything else in another thread but this one is a biggie and deserves it own thread. First I do not have the van back as of 12/13. I should be picking it up Monday. My turbo was shot and oil temps were starting to be a problem and the shop recommended doing the BP oil cooler even though he wasn't familiar with the 4x4 mods and the bypass system. So he had some challenges to accomplish it but he had the attitude it is just plumbing so I told him to go ahead. Here is the heart of the integration. He was passionate about keeping the existing bypass filter system and increasing the diameter of the AMSOil supply hoses to match the cooler and the 6.0 oil pump flow. I'll post more pictures and some of the challenges he overcame + operational temps later. Please note that I have the stock bumper right now but I plan to go to Aluminess and discuss an air flow bumper solution with them in a few months. Hard lines are going to the front cooler and the blue lines back to the filter. The out of the box Bulletproof oil cooler system has the oil filter canister where the blue lines are sourced. Obviously this adapter replaced the bypass filter adapter provided by Sportsmobile.

2004 SMB 4x4 RB 6.0 PSD; ARP Head Studs, Gen 3 Cylinder Heads, BPD Oil Cooler connected to AMSOil Bypass, a whistling Wicked Wheel Turbo, Coolant Filter, Upgraded alternator, ScanGauge, SCT custom and SMB Fox shocks.
BFG 285/75 R16 KM3 Mud Terrains on ProComp 7069's
PatO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 09:32 AM   #2

Re: Bulletproof Oil Cooler and AMSOil Bypass Filter Connecte

I looked at the BPD oil cooler for a van. It keeps the hard lines from the top of the engine down to the adapter and adds hard lines to the front for the oil cooler. To me, it looked like it might be easier to use a P/U kit and move the dual filters to the front. Then you would just have to route the lines from the top of the engine to the front for the filters and cooler.

I'm glad to see someone took the time to install the complete van kit and keep the dual filter setup. Looks good.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 05:23 PM   #3

Old 12-15-2013, 05:08 AM   #4
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA

Those are very high quality fittings----a great attention to detail and longevity too!
JWA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 11:57 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWA
Those are very high quality fittings----a great attention to detail and longevity too!
I don't have the full story yet as I have not picked up the van. This is a shop picture. The left side is the BulletProof Diesel bolt up adapter, fittings and hard lines in the kit. The right side which includes the filter adapter and fitting are from AMSoil (on website) and he might have had the hoses custom made. He had problems with fitting thread sizes and I know he had one filter adapter port re-drilled and threaded to meet his requirements. Other problems included the location of the SMB 4x4 round stiffener bar between the front spring perches which was where the oil thermostat block and lines wanted to be and the front drive shaft clearance under compression. I should be picking it up tomorrow so will provide more info then.

Pat
2004 SMB 4x4 RB 6.0 PSD; ARP Head Studs, Gen 3 Cylinder Heads, BPD Oil Cooler connected to AMSOil Bypass, a whistling Wicked Wheel Turbo, Coolant Filter, Upgraded alternator, ScanGauge, SCT custom and SMB Fox shocks.
Old 12-15-2013, 06:50 PM   #6

More shop photos:

Oil cooler thermostat looking up, opens at 185. Below the round SMB spring perch stiffener.

Close up of fittings to adapt to Amsoil Bypass Filter supply and return

Oil cooler thermostat looking back.

Oil cooler radiator behind front bumper.

It will be so nice not to have to monitor delta T's
Old 12-16-2013, 05:17 PM   #7

How bad were your delta temps?

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 10:42 PM   #8

Extremely variable Mike but the lowest delta's were increasing. My last camping trip I was coming up from the desert on a warm day and my oil temp hit 234 or so with deltas reaching 20+ while climbing the I-8 grade west of Ocotillo. I would ignore the 30+ degree deltas once I leveled out and the coolant temps would drop quicker. The majority of the time it was 15 or less but it was easy to spike. It actually was the turbo sticking again that caused me to go ahead and do all of this at once. I picked up the van tonight and drove 15 miles home but seemed to reach a steady state; a balmy 65 degree evening here in San Diego, max oil = 189, max coolant = 188. I would say before I would have been 210 with a 10 degree delta for these conditions. I'm driving to Santa Cruz this Thursday so will be putting 1000 miles on it by next Monday. Lots of observation time available then.
Pat
Old 12-24-2013, 11:25 AM   #9

Bulletproof Oil Cooler and AMSOil Bypass Filter (1200 mi rep

Oil and Coolant temperature observations after 1200 mile trip; San Diego - Santa Cruz round trip. To skip LA I drove up I-15 and cut across on 138 (Palmdale) to Tejon Pass and then I-5 to 152. The return was the reverse.

Remember the coolant and oil systems are now totally independent. Scan Gauge II used to monitor.

Both oil and coolant systems have 185 degree thermostats.

on 12/19: 45 - 55 ambient air temps on the trip up due to a cold storm sweeping through So Cal.
Oil temps were 185 to 188 depending on speed and grade. Coolant temps were below 190 and in general were a degree or 2 above oil temp. Central Valley I-5 was 75mph

on 12/23: 55 - 70 ambient air temps on trip back. Oil temps were 185 - 190. Going up the Tejon grade I had 191 while going 70 mph. The high end of the range was not until I was back on I-15 S (75 - 80 mph) and 70 degree ambient. While in 1/2 hour of stop and go, 10 mph traffic around Corona oil temps briefly hit 199. Again coolant temps were matching or slightly higher most of the time.

It would appear that my oil temp worry days are over.
Old 12-24-2013, 05:46 PM   #10

That. Is. Awesome!

Can't wait to see the Aluminess solution to work with this system.