Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-22-2013, 02:56 PM   #1

EGR delete Test

Last month I drove to LA and back and around LA for about 1000 miles total. Just to find out what happens, I blocked off the exhaust gas into the EGR cooler. No gas, no EGR.

Over 1000 miles I detected no difference in power, driveability, fuel economy, etc. Somewhat surprised at that. The only thing I noticed was a CEL (Check Engine Light) after about 1 miles of city driving. No CEL after any amount of highway driving.

Not wanting to buy a tuner just to turn off the CEL, I put the system back to stock when I got home.

My conclusion: The EGR does what it is supposed to do (lower combustion temps to lower NOX) without affecting the way it drives. No real reason to delete it. Now I know.

Mike

2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 04:30 PM   #2
Site Team

Garage
Re: EGR delete Test

But what if it fails? At least an upgrade is in order don't you think?

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 05:24 PM   #3

An upgrade is on my list of things to do before another trip to Alaska. At least now I know I don't need a delete to make it run better.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 05:09 PM   #4

The ill effects of EGR on diesels are well known. While it does reduce NOx and combustion temps, introduction of EGR increases the particulate matter (soot) in the exhaust and decreases the efficiency of the burn on the power stroke adding unburnt fuel. This adds contaminants to the normally clean side of the diesel intake. Manufacturers combat the exhaust side of this with catalytic convertors and diesel particulate filters. EGR is also responsible for soot/fuel contamination in the engine oil. Also, I don't believe it is a coincidence that with the mandate of gas engine emissions systems on diesels, that we are not seeing the mpg's that we expect.

I think for those of you that live in a state with extensive smog inspections, that deleting the EGR is a big risk. Blocking the EGR will reduce the contamination in the intake, but the threat of a coolant leak into the cylinders due to a failed EGR Cooler is still present. Upgrading the system, and sticking to a good preventative maintenance schedule is key here.

The biggest issue with the 6.0 is the inter-related systems and the effect of a failure in any one system. Upgrade the weak OEM EGR Cooler, replace the Oil Cooler with a Ford unit, install a coolant filter, and change your oil regularly.

My thoughts anyway...