Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-03-2014, 12:14 PM   #1

Engine Mods for the V10 Ford what have you done

just picked up a 97 E350 with the V10

does the KN cold air kit reall help??? what about Exhaust????

what else have you done and did you like or not like about it

thanks agan

Randy

MrWicked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 01:30 PM   #2

Re: Engine Mods for the V10 Ford what have you done

I have the Full Banks PowerPack, AFE intake, Predator tuner, and 4.56 gears.

The V10 will benefit big time from better breathing, although its hard to say how important the headers are in the whole equation. I'm guessing the ROI is less than the other components.

But proper gearing is for sure the best bang for the buck. An over-geared V10 will be constantly downshifting because its out of its powerband.

The AFE intake really improved low RPM torque surprisingly. I don't know how it affect an otherwise stock V10, but it was well worth it to me. The programmer allows me to take advantage of the extra power (in addition to adding its own) by letting it stay in a high gear more often, but also revving up higher to make the most HP when I need it.

That said... Ford what I spent on all those upgrades.... if I built a van that wasn't towing so heavy and so often, I'd be awfully tempted to just slap a remote-mount turbo on it.
Old 01-03-2014, 01:48 PM   #3

Carringb always thanks for the info

this van has already 4:10 with Limited slip it now is running 265/75/16 but need tires and thinking going with 275/75/16

what is the AFE intake????

it has a Gibson tip not sure if it is all gibson... pretty quiet

trying to get a banks cat back from a buddy buddies not sure if he still has it...

this van will be towing most of the time and im sure ill soon upgrade to a 7.3 but this will work for nw
Old 01-03-2014, 01:50 PM   #4

ok see the AFE you like that better than the KN???
Old 01-03-2014, 01:54 PM   #5

Old 01-03-2014, 05:02 PM   #6

I went with AFE upon QuadVan's recommendation. They actually dynoed a van, stock exhaust, and got over 30hp with the AFE.

K&N claims 15 HP, and their hp claims seem to be based on best scenario (i.e. exhaust already opened up). But, I have not tried their CAI, only their drop in filter element, which was better than paper.

The AFE intake is larger it looks like, so you should be able to go further between cleanings. Mine's been in for nearly 70,000 miles, and I haven't cleaned it yet. Just knock out the bugs and vegetation periodically.
Old 01-03-2014, 05:03 PM   #7

BTW - being a '97 Wagon, that van should have the Dana 70 Full float!
Old 01-03-2014, 05:47 PM   #8

the rear axle code is C2

and your thoughts on the 4:1- gear with a 31" tall tire???/
Old 01-03-2014, 06:00 PM   #9

C2 90/98 4.10 5.3M, 6.34M Dana (Spicer) Limited slip (Econoline)
Old 01-03-2014, 08:51 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWicked
the rear axle code is C2

and your thoughts on the 4:1- gear with a 31" tall tire???/
That's great you found with with factory limited slip. Seems VERY rare on the used market. It's seem that when people order a useful configuration, they never sell it, where as the fleets all like ordering the 5.4L w/ 3.55 open diff.

265s are close to 32" tall, depending on brand and tread. If you aren't towing much, that's probably fine with 4.10s. Acutally, you can still tow quite a bit, you just won't be able to cruise all the time in overdrive while towing. With enough miles, the fuel economy gain of being able to stay in OD most of the time will offset the cost of the gear change. But, it takes a LOT of miles towing a lot of weight.

My suggestion.... try it. Maybe even add a 5-star tuner which should reduce transmission hunting. Then, if that's not enough, or you want more grunt off-the-line, think about gears. But a tuner is MUCH cheaper, and will let you play with shift points and shift pressures. I'm extremely happy with my 4.56 gears, but honestly if I didn't tow the weights I do, it would be overkill.

I think going by Ford GCWR's is a good baseline to go by, since they establish primarily on performance anyways, and in my experience it makes a pretty decent real-world guide.

For the V10, Ford has the following GCWRs:

3.73 = 15,000 pounds
4.10 = 18,500
4.30 = 20,000
4.56 = 22,000
And even high, all the up to 30,000 with 6.13 gears.

An increase in tire size by 1.5" would reduce your effective max GCWR by 10% (since that would reduce the Radius by that much, which in turn reduces tractive force by the same amount).

Going over GCWR isn't the end of the world, but it will be working harder and therefore you'll use more fuel than if you stayed within specs, assuming everything is stock. Going from 3.73 gears to 4.56 gears gained me about 1.5 MPG towing, but I also lost about the same solo.