Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-23-2014, 04:17 PM   #1

Banks questions for 95 E350

I have a 95 E350 7.5 (460) with only 20k miles. It runs great but has some rust underneath so I'm busy sandblasting and cleaning with plans to replace the exhaust from the cat back and the suspension eventually.
Here's my question, the van WAS bought originally in California. Banks sells one kit for this year pickup for a California model and one for non California model. What is the difference in a California model and not? They all had the air injection (smog) pump and crap back then didn't they? I just want to make sure I understand the difference in the kits before I order the parts.

Oh, for those of you paying close attention, Banks doesn't make a kit for the vans anymore, not even class C motorhomes that I can find, just for class A. I have a Quigley so I can't use (or afford for that matter) the whole powerpack system. The Banks headers interfere with the 4WD front drive shaft. My plan is to buy the standard cab cat-back pickup kit for my regular length van and have a muffler shop fix any fitting issues, which I think are only going to be with the hangers and possibly add or delete a little straight pipe. I have looked at purchasing the parts of a Stinger kit separately and I think it will be just about the same price to just go for the whole kit, even if I have to modify it.

Thoughts?

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 03:13 PM   #2

Re: Banks questions for 95 E350

60 looks and no one? Does anyone know the difference in a California (CARB) vehicle vs. a non-Cali vehicle?

Thanks

Old 01-27-2014, 03:31 PM   #3

On the V10, the difference is CA vans had EGR and the rest did not. But it looks like the 460 may have had more substantial differences.

From what I can see, the following parts are different for CARB-approved 460s:
-Timing chain cover
-Exhaust manifold (CA models have EGR and air-injection ports)
-number of O2 sensors
Most likely the CA vans have a different CAT too. May be other differences?

If you go with the stinger kit, none of that would matter, so just for that reason alone would be a good reason to stick with the Stinger or similar cat-back system.
Old 01-27-2014, 04:31 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by carringb
On the V10, the difference is CA vans had EGR and the rest did not. But it looks like the 460 may have had more substantial differences.

From what I can see, the following parts are different for CARB-approved 460s:
-Timing chain cover
-Exhaust manifold (CA models have EGR and air-injection ports)
-number of O2 sensors
Most likely the CA vans have a different CAT too. May be other differences?

If you go with the stinger kit, none of that would matter, so just for that reason alone would be a good reason to stick with the Stinger or similar cat-back system.
Thanks very much, I thought you would probably know that CarringB! I plan to delete the smog pump and have the muffler shop plug the necessary holes but can you educate me on anything else that might need attending to when I do this? I do realize I will probably get a check engine light forever, not really worried about that on a pre-OBDII 460. Like any older tech engine, I'll be checking fluids often and paying attention to guages, and really that's about it. I will be adding a tranny temp guage and probably a more accurate coolant temp guage than the factory guage, but should I worry about anything else on this thing? I won't be towing anything more than 3000 lbs or so with it EVER.

Thanks for the help
Eric