Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-28-2014, 11:54 AM   #1

New SMB owner - question about gas tank

I just bought a 2005 E-350 RB with Sportsmobile 4WD. The vehicle is equipped with the auxiliary fuel tank that is supposed to bring total capacity to 46 gallons. We took it out for a shakedown cruise over the weekend and ran the gas gauge from full to a bit over 1/4 full. When I went to fill up the tank, it took about 20 gallons, which seemed about right for the distance we covered.

Can anyone explain how to read my gas gauge? If I started with 46 gallons and burned 20, the gauge should have read a bit over half a tank, not a quarter. I did notice that the gauge seemed to stay at just over 1/4 tank for quite a while. Is that the way it works? Am I supposed to see the gauge go down for the first 3/4 tank, and then it starts drawing off the auxiliary tank and won't start dropping again until I've used up that supply?

Thanks for any help.

--Ken

cckweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 12:19 PM   #2

Re: New SMB owner - question about gas tank

Welcome to the forum.

If your tank and gauge are anything like mine, the only solution is to run it from full to 3/4, fill up and note mileage and gals. Repeat for 1/2 and 1/4 mark. If you're really serious you can even run it until the low fuel lite flashes.

My van goes 100 miles before the gauge moves off Full and then roughly 100 miles more each 1/4 tank.
Old 01-28-2014, 12:35 PM   #3

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viejo
My van goes 100 miles before the gauge moves off Full and then roughly 100 miles more each 1/4 tank.
^^^ mine is very similar to that.

i have never been able to get 46 gallons in the tank though. most ive ever been able to get in it was 39-40 gallons once the light comes on. to scared to screw around with finding out if i really have a 6 gallon reserve or not. ive gone 20 miles on the light and was sweatin it.
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 01:07 PM   #4

It should also be noted that you don't have an auxilary tank that increases capacity, you just have one big 46 gallon tank. At least thats the way it is on most SMBs with that capacity. I'm sure some there are some others who have way more knowledge than me who could clarify.
Quigley with Agile RIP, 6.0 PSD
WhitH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 01:17 PM   #5

Depending on the tank venting, the pump may shut off early. And that will alter the gauge calibration. The only way to know is to slowly fill it until fuel is visible in the filler neck. First time I filled mine it took ~30 minutes to trickle fuel in and completely fill the tank. Then I got the venting fixed. Before you worry about how to fix it, verify you have an issue. Even after it was fixed, I have about 4 gallons space left when the pump shuts off - you need some space for expansion of the fuel.

Now, I run about 100 miles before the gauge moves and about 100 miles/quarter tank.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 08:51 PM   #6

I would only over fill it up like that if you plan on doing some driving right away. I park on a slight downhill slope and I have had fuel come out of the top vent with only 2 gallons past the click.

Yes on the other comment too; verify you have the single Transfer Flow tank. It is easy to find!
Pat
2004 SMB 4x4 RB 6.0 PSD; ARP Head Studs, Gen 3 Cylinder Heads, BPD Oil Cooler connected to AMSOil Bypass, a whistling Wicked Wheel Turbo, Coolant Filter, Upgraded alternator, ScanGauge, SCT custom and SMB Fox shocks.
BFG 285/75 R16 KM3 Mud Terrains on ProComp 7069's
PatO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 12:44 AM   #7

Buy a ScanGauge II!!! It will take all of the guesswork out of it.

My fuel tank is like the gauge from E-F is actually 1/4 to 3/4 of a tank, i.e. there is a bit both above full and below empty that the gauge doesn't register.

Note that the usable capacity is less than 46 gals. I think it is 42.5 or something. I forget.

"A job worth doing is worth doing at least twice."
ANZAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 05:57 PM   #8

I discovered the problem to be the float in the tank. I visited the factory where the tanks are made. They filled mine, then drained the tank and only came up with around 35gal. THey took the tank out and adjused the float, reinstalled the tank, then fillied it up to the full 46 gallons. They did not even charge me for the gas. I can did out my notes if any are interested of who I talked to etc. email me at harelyloverinlm@cox.net as I don't read this forum that often.
BillPa1
BillPa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 09:21 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillPa1
I discovered the problem to be the float in the tank. I visited the factory where the tanks are made. They filled mine, then drained the tank and only came up with around 35gal. THey took the tank out and adjused the float, reinstalled the tank, then fillied it up to the full 46 gallons. They did not even charge me for the gas. I can did out my notes if any are interested of who I talked to etc. email me at harelyloverinlm@cox.net as I don't read this forum that often.
BillPa1
I for one would be really interested in how you got this done. I have the same experience as others, 100 mi before gauge moves, then roughly 100 per qtr marks. Most I have ever been able to fill is about 41 to 42. I have had the fuel pick up suck air on hills or some turns, so not sure if much is left at bottom of tank, so pretty sure mine is missing about 4 to 5 gal ability to fill above certain level due to vent tube bottom being to low in the tank.

There would be a LONG line at TransferFlow if they offered to drop a tank and fix the issue. Drag not having the capacity I paid for.