Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-25-2014, 07:22 PM   #1

Adapting BP Oil Cooler...

Has anyone had success with adapting a BP oil cooler to an aftermarket bumper without major mods? I'm doing an EGR cooler update and decided to replace the oil cooler while I'm in there. I have a Trail Ready bumper and it doesn't look like the BP will work. Anyone have thoughts? Maybe a Sinister oil cooler instead??? Thanks, Barry

lonepeak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 03:14 PM   #2

Garage
Re: Adapting BP Oil Cooler...

Barry, When I did my bedplate fix I added the BP EGR cooler and asked about the BP oiler cooler. My mechanic was worried about the Aluminess bumper and if there would be enough room to properly install it and provide airflow. He didn't have many issues with the Ford oil cooler and had no problem not recommending a different brand so I replaced my oil cooler with another Ford oil cooler. Don't know anything about your bumper but you need to make sure you have enough airflow. I'd take your SMB in to your mechanic and see what he has to say.
I think PatO added a BP oil cooler with his after market bumper. I'm sure there was more to do to make it fit but not sure how things are going now that he has it installed.

Mike
Old 04-27-2014, 03:29 PM   #3

Something to think about with the BPD external oil cooler is if you do a lot of cold weather/climate driving. No direct knowledge but something I read on the diesel forums.

One thing of importance is whether you have installed a coolant filter. And if so, have you cut it open to see what gunk you are trapping. Seems like some 6.0s have trouble with excess casting sand and others don't. And are you still using the stock Ford coolant or have you switched to an ELC? Have you been monitoring your oil and coolant temperatures to know if you even have a problem with the stock oil cooler?

I looked into the BPD for my rig and it didn't seem like the most cost-effective choice. Maybe if I was towing a lot and lived in Phoenix.
JoeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 04:50 PM   #4

Have you seen PatO's writeup of a BPD oil cooler installation?

viewtopic.php?f=39&t=12524

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 08:38 PM   #5

I have the stock Ford bumper, I mentioned that I was interested in dropping by Aluminess here in San Diego to see if they thought it was doable but then a radiator hose leaked, the heater core sprung a leak and the alternator died all in a month and I just don't want to spend any more money on this thing for awhile. Oil and coolant temp with the BP oil cooler are great though!!! Generally 185 to 195, up to 215 when climbing grades around Borrego Springs on hot days. Never to worry about those temps again.
2004 SMB 4x4 RB 6.0 PSD; ARP Head Studs, Gen 3 Cylinder Heads, BPD Oil Cooler connected to AMSOil Bypass, a whistling Wicked Wheel Turbo, Coolant Filter, Upgraded alternator, ScanGauge, SCT custom and SMB Fox shocks.
BFG 285/75 R16 KM3 Mud Terrains on ProComp 7069's
PatO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 06:41 AM   #6

Thanks for the replies. I decided that since I'm here in Salt Lake City I might be better to go with the Sinister Diesel version of the oil cooler. Direct replacement and I won't have to worry with a modified mounting system and cold weather performance. I should have everything back together later in the week (I'm slow) and the Bulletproof project behind me. Barry
lonepeak is offline   Reply With Quote