Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-03-2014, 11:26 AM   #1

LARGER BRAKES FOR 17 WHEELS

I've read through some old threads on this forum but haven't really found the answers I'm looking for yet.

I've got 17" American Racing Mojave wheels and dana 60s and I'm looking to DECREASE my stopping distance. I don't experience brake fade and I am very conscious about not heating my brakes to that point.

So in my case, I'm really looking for better braking power with 35" wheels, 10,000+ pound van and a trailer.

I've gotten the following advice thus far:
Slotted is OK, but drilling is not a good idea and that the best option is the larger brakes from the f450 with bigger rotors and calipers. I'm not familiar with all the options.

Could someone break down the parts (and approx cost of this job) and let me know if they will fit inside the 17" Mojaves or if I also need to get new wheels? As always, thanks a million you guys.

khalilsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 11:52 AM   #2

Location: Rancho Nuevo (Cabo/Todos Santos) B.C.S. and San Diego, CA
Re: LARGER BRAKES FOR 17 WHEELS

One thing that I have thought about is upgrading to the larger rear brakes on the rear axle of a late model van that still fit in a 16 inch wheel.

AgileOffRoad.com
BajaSportsmobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 11:55 AM   #3

If you don't have heat problems, your best bang for the buck may be upgrading to hydroboost.

As for outboard brake compponents - might help if we had more info about your van. I.e. who's 4x4? year? which dana 60? bolt pattern?
Old 05-03-2014, 12:02 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajaSportsmobile
One thing that I have thought about is upgrading to the larger rear brakes on the rear axle of a late model van that still fit in a 16 inch wheel.
I thought about this too. The caliper pistons are actually smaller. The larger rotors no doubt shed heat better the the larger calipers are stiffer for better feel. But I don't know that absolute stopping force is necessarily much better. OTOH E450 rear brakes get both the larger rotors (the same ones) but also larger caliper pistons, and still fit 16" wheels. At least steelies. I doubt aluminum 16" would fit the E450 calipers.
Old 05-03-2014, 12:52 PM   #5

Send a message via Yahoo to Zeta

These look freaking awesome to me: Page 95

viewtopic.php?t=3583#p128156

Z

https://www.tomsinclair.net
Zeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 03:53 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by carringb
Quote:
I thought about this too. The caliper pistons are actually smaller. The larger rotors no doubt shed heat better the the larger calipers are stiffer for better feel. But I don't know that absolute stopping force is necessarily much better. OTOH E450 rear brakes get both the larger rotors (the same ones) but also larger caliper pistons, and still fit 16" wheels. At least steelies. I doubt aluminum 16" would fit the E450 calipers.
The 2013 E250 we are working with right now has bigger rotors and calipers and fit a 16" wheel.

The real advantage is that the larger diameter of the rotor produces more brake torque. Another way to look at is that for every revolution of the axle/wheel/tire and rotor, the larger diameter rotor with a greater circumference has more surface contact with the pad per revolution. Same concept and using a longer lever...

When we upgrade race trucks from 12.2" to 14" rotors without changing anything else; the brakes are significantly better.

AgileOffRoad.com
Old 05-03-2014, 04:15 PM   #7

Quote:
The real advantage is that the larger diameter of the rotor produces more brake torque. Another way to look at is that for every revolution of the axle/wheel/tire and rotor, the larger diameter rotor with a greater circumference has more surface contact with the pad per revolution. Same concept and using a longer lever...

When we upgrade race trucks from 12.2" to 14" rotors without changing anything else; the brakes are significantly better.
I understand all that. But you would not be increasing rotor size without changing everything else. You would be decreasing your piston size from 2.20" to 1.89". You cannot fit the old calipers to the new rotors because the backing plates and brackets are completely different, and they wouldn't fit anyways if they were mounted out much further.

My whole point is.... If you are going to go through the trouble of disassembling an axle to fit new backing plates, why wouldn't you use E450 calipers, which have 2.12" pistons? This way you aren't making as much reduction in clamping force when you go to larger rotors. BTW - the larger rotors only result in 2" additional swept area (270"^2 vs 272"^2) and the total pad contact area decreases.
Old 05-03-2014, 04:23 PM   #8

I would just swap axles.

AgileOffRoad.com
Old 05-04-2014, 12:08 AM   #9

Good ideas and suggestions guys, thank you!

I have a salem kroger 4x4 its a 2004 EB 6.0L. My rear is a dana 60, my front is a dana super 60, my lug pattern is 8 on 170mm.

Got in touch with Chris at UJOR and he said that the f550 brakes fit under a 19.5" wheel or larger only, unless you get his custom built axle (RSC kit) which is not an option for me.

My intuition tells me that by going with 20" wheels - you negate (at least partially) the positive effects of having larger brakes. Plus, a low pro tire + expensive wheel-set does not sound reasonable at all.

More info on the hydroboost please! Also, high performance/reliable discs and calipers anyone have experience with?

!!!
khalilsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 08:11 AM   #10

I just replaced Vacuum booster with a Hydroboost unit on an older 1990 E350 4x4 van ...and I must say my brakes feel completely different much better than they ever have....

Not a big deal to switch them out...minor hole redrilling and fitting on firewall...definitely worth it!!
E350MAN is offline   Reply With Quote