Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-08-2014, 06:52 PM   #1

Say Goodbye to Chip Tuning – Open CAN Bus Going Away

This was posted on the ford-trucks.forum

"Say Goodbye to Chip Tuning – Open CAN Bus Going Away in Two Model Cycles"

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2014/0 ... el-cycles/

The ford-trucks.com link is:

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/13137 ... st14330603

What say you mgmetalworks, et al.?

2002 E350 ext.; 160K; 7.3L; 4R100 (w/4x4 deep pan & filter); 4x4 conv. w/2007 F250/F350 coil frnt axle (oppos. dual Bilstein press. shocks cured DW) diff chg from 3.55 to 3.73 (bad!); BW1356 t.c. (bad!); LT265/70R17/E Michelin LTX M/S2; Engel MT60 Combi Fridge-Freezer; 4 BP 380J pv panels; Auragen 5kw AC gen. in top alt. position; Webasto Dual-Top; Voyager top. 1995 5.8L EB Bronco, bone stock.
E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 07:52 PM   #2

Re: Say Goodbye to Chip Tuning – Open CAN Bus Going Away

It won't be impossible to tune your car, just a lot harder to do. Any device that has been engineered can be reverse engineered. Look at things like the iPhone... Apple has an army of engineers working to keep that thing secure and usually some teenager hacks the newest model within days of release.

Nothing to worry about...just expect to pay more for HP upgrades.
mgmetalworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 06:44 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmetalworks
It won't be impossible to tune your car, just a lot harder to do. Any device that has been engineered can be reverse engineered. Look at things like the iPhone... Apple has an army of engineers working to keep that thing secure and usually some teenager hacks the newest model within days of release.

Nothing to worry about...just expect to pay more for HP upgrades.
Personally, I'd be just fine with the sock HP of a new one, vs. the 20 year old stuff I usually drive.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 07:12 AM   #4

While I like our option to buy all the power we can afford, I feel it is best when it comes from the factory. It seems silly to hold modern engines to an environmental standard as they leave the factory and then let anyone (including those who don't know what they are doing or are irresponsible) to re-calibrate their engine's operation.

On the road I particularly hate to see modified diesel trucks with clouds of black smoke behind them. Just doesn't seem right or just to other drivers.
Chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 07:24 AM   #5
Site Team

I feel the 'clouds of black smoke' people are in the minority of diesel owners who have tuned their vehicles. There are plenty of tuned trucks that get better mileage than stock, so isn't that a good thing? Of course there's no free lunch, so there are tradeoffs that come with additional power, like increased maintenance and/our decreased reliability. But the black smoke owners can cause a lot of issues for all diesel owners by changing opinions of diesels and forcing environmental testing (purely a subjective visual inspection in CA).

Herb
Old 05-09-2014, 12:01 PM   #6

Echoing what BroncoHauler said. There are a lot of different forums out there for diesel engines, but if you want to be dumped on, just post on the ford-trucks.com 7.3L diesel forum with a thread saying something like "Hey guys I want a tune so I can roll coal!"

Also, in California we have an opacity test for diesel smog checks and, from what I have seen, the CHP have test trucks cruising looking for diesel light trucks spewing black smoke. So, as a result we don't see a lot of coal rolling around here.

I personally am more concerned with the "public private partnership" of the governments' working with the auto manufacturers to monitor you and your vehicle. It will basically be NSA for cars.
2002 E350 ext.; 160K; 7.3L; 4R100 (w/4x4 deep pan & filter); 4x4 conv. w/2007 F250/F350 coil frnt axle (oppos. dual Bilstein press. shocks cured DW) diff chg from 3.55 to 3.73 (bad!); BW1356 t.c. (bad!); LT265/70R17/E Michelin LTX M/S2; Engel MT60 Combi Fridge-Freezer; 4 BP 380J pv panels; Auragen 5kw AC gen. in top alt. position; Webasto Dual-Top; Voyager top. 1995 5.8L EB Bronco, bone stock.
Old 05-09-2014, 12:35 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by E350

I personally am more concerned with the "public private partnership" of the governments' working with the auto manufacturers to monitor you and your vehicle. It will basically be NSA for cars.
Exactly... but don't forget the insurance companies in that mix. They have more interest in vehicle data and driving habits than the Govt. would. Anything to deny a claim/preserve profits right?
mgmetalworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 05:23 AM   #8
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA

Slightly off-topic perhaps but the black exhaust from a diesel engine tends to be unburned fuel, something any fleet operator works to avoid.

A good tuning program shouldn't introduce an excessive fuel charge and have it not burned. That's literally burning money without any benefit, potentially damaging to the engine.

As for the gov't or insurance companies monitoring vehicle use----it might become the single criteria for setting individual coverage rates. It makes much more sense than credit history, type of residence etc, etc etc currently used to establish rates.
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 09:52 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWA
......cut.....

A good tuning program shouldn't introduce an excessive fuel charge and have it not burned. That's literally burning money without any benefit, potentially damaging to the engine.

.....cut......
What's a good tune? I'm curious because if they accomplish much without too many compromises it would seem Ford engineers would include them in order to sell more vehicles.

I suppose cost could be a factor but even then they should cost less as mass produced options.
Chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 10:19 AM   #10

Fuel has changed. Injector alternatives are now available, including the International Harvester AC Code 160 cc injector which only shipped with the 7.3L T444E. The newest (2003) Ford 7.3L is eleven years old. More expensive components are available to modify it now, which Ford no doubt chose not to include with the motor originally. Knowledge/Progress through enthusiast innovation never sleeps...