Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-20-2014, 10:06 PM   #1

6.0L, Aluminess front bumper, Bullet Prof Diesel oil cooler?

Hi,

I have a 05 6.0L PSD 4x4. I am looking at adding the Bullet Proof EGR and oil cooler.

There's been a lot of discussion about this on the forum but I can't find anyone who has done it.

So, has anyone had this done yet?

Thanks,

David

Old 05-20-2014, 10:54 PM   #2

Re: 6.0L, Aluminess front bumper, Bullet Prof Diesel oil coo

The issue with the BPD external oil cooler kit for the van is the aftermarket bumpers that most of us have are in the way and block air flow. Without extensive modification it may not fit. Tough to swallow on an oil cooler that is already $2000+ with labor.
JoeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 10:08 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeH
The issue with the BPD external oil cooler kit for the van is the aftermarket bumpers that most of us have are in the way and block air flow. Without extensive modification it may not fit. Tough to swallow on an oil cooler that is already $2000+ with labor.
Yup, I know about the problem you've mentioned.

I'm still hoping that I don't have to be the first to have to develop a solution.

Thanks,

David
Old 05-21-2014, 11:34 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmeade0
Quote:
Yup, I know about the problem you've mentioned.

I'm still hoping that I don't have to be the first to have to develop a solution.

Thanks,

David
IMO, the stock oil cooler was amply designed to do the intended job. But not with poorly maintained coolant with resulting sludge and leftover casting sand in the block. I'm assembling all the parts for an EGR delete and when the time comes will replace the stock oil cooler with the slight improved version (an extra row of cooling fins or whatever they're called).

A coolant filter is the first order of business when going down this rabbit hole with the 6.0.
Old 05-22-2014, 12:35 AM   #5

Also you probably have a the Amsoil bypass oil filter... the BPD oil cooler replaces the AMsoil / SMB supplied filter adapter block and it is "difficult" to adapt the two systems together. My mechanic did it but it cost (parts / labor) almost as much as the BPD oil cooler itself. I have a stock bumper so did not have to deal with that issue.
2004 SMB 4x4 RB 6.0 PSD; ARP Head Studs, Gen 3 Cylinder Heads, BPD Oil Cooler connected to AMSOil Bypass, a whistling Wicked Wheel Turbo, Coolant Filter, Upgraded alternator, ScanGauge, SCT custom and SMB Fox shocks.
BFG 285/75 R16 KM3 Mud Terrains on ProComp 7069's
PatO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 09:47 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatO
Also you probably have a the Amsoil bypass oil filter... the BPD oil cooler replaces the AMsoil / SMB supplied filter adapter block and it is "difficult" to adapt the two systems together. My mechanic did it but it cost (parts / labor) almost as much as the BPD oil cooler itself. I have a stock bumper so did not have to deal with that issue.
I'm not sure if you are referring to the OP or me but I don't have the Amsoil system. I have, however, researched the 6.0 endlessly being my first diesel engine. And worried about being stranded with my family in some remote location.

I live in AZ and have been by BPD HQ a couple of times. They have a really cool tank outside. IIn 2011, I was going to let them have my van for a couple of weeks to do the R&D to retrofit their F-series kit on an E350 van with aftermarket bumpers. After mulling over the "offer" and concluding that they really were not going to cut me much of a deal (if at all) I backed out and informed the forum that the opportunity was available if anyone wanted it.

Perhaps I just go lucky and 1) got a 6.0 without much leftover casting sand; and 2) the PO did a coolant flush at 30,000 and I did it again at 60,000. I now have 85,000 miles and my delta diff between EOT and ECT is still within spec. I'm still running the Ford Gold but when the time comes for a major engine mod where the radiator needs to be drained I'll probably switch out to an ELC.
Old 05-22-2014, 12:12 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatO
Also you probably have a the Amsoil bypass oil filter....
Nope, no Amsoil installed.
Old 05-22-2014, 12:17 PM   #8

Quote:
I now have 85,000 miles and my delta diff between EOT and ECT is still within spec.
Joe,

I haven't tested that delta yet (but I did get a scan guage to read the engine code so I can!). Do you know what the maximum difference should be?

David
Old 05-22-2014, 01:23 PM   #9

Anything over 15 degrees (steady state driving, fully warmed up) means the oil cooler is plugged and should be replaced.
You can get some big numbers (30+) when you crest a big hill, but they are transients and don't count.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 12:47 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford_6L_E350
Anything over 15 degrees (steady state driving, fully warmed up) means the oil cooler is plugged and should be replaced.
You can get some big numbers (30+) when you crest a big hill, but they are transients and don't count.
Perfect answer, it will be nice actually knowing that I have the defect before I get the repair.

I'll exercise it over the weekend and see what I get.

Thanks for all your help, from before I bought the SMB until now.

Enjoy Alaska!

David