Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-02-2014, 08:30 PM   #1

IPD rear sway bar install, junkyard find

Here are the tools that you will need for this install:

13mm, 19mm, tools from jack area, large(very) channel locks, scribing tool to mark frame

I cruise the yards every so often when I have time, and I always make a point to look at the axles of the vans that I find. So I was looking through the yards, looking for some interior parts and just generally viewing what was to be had when I stumbled upon a van with a Viper Club of America sticker on the back. I peeked under the rear end, and wow!, an IPD sway bar.

For those that don't know IPD, they used to do a lot of vehicles, and would custom make sway bars for your project. Back when my friend and I did more construction work, we had a few trucks outfitted with custom setups from them and we were always happy with the outcome. Fast forward to today, and IPD is back to their roots, only selling suspension parts for Volvo vehicles.

FYI they have directed all customers who are interested in products for non-volvo vehicles to use Roadmaster who are out of Vancouver WA. While they didn't have this exact bar, they do make some bars that are similar that fit our vans as well as a host of other suspension upgrades.

So back to the van that I found. It was a 95 if I recall correctly, E350 EB with a full float rear axle. My van is a 2000 E250 RB with a semi-float rear axle. The axle outside diameters are the same, and thus the u-bolts and mounting hardware will fit. This is for a 2WD setup, but would work for a 4WD setup depending on your application.

Here is the bar after I took it home and washed it up. The original finish and stickers were barely visible when it was on the van, but I recognized the IPD sticker right away.

Attached Thumbnails
ipdjunkyard.JPG   tools1.JPG   photo 16.JPG  

hammerhome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 08:50 PM   #2

Re: IPD rear sway bar install, junkyard find

One thing that I did before I removed it was to take measurements of the location of the holes for the end-links. This does not use stock holes in the frame, and you need to drill the holes. The installation on the junk yard van was not exact on both sides so I ended up taking the measurements and then averaging what I got.

The measurements for installation are (measuring from the front of the bump stop bracket) 16.25" towards the rear, and 4" down from the top of the frame. I used my knife to mark the spot where I was going to drill.

Before you go drilling on the drivers side, you will need to take down your spare tire so that you can access your evap canister. Place the tire out of the way and either hang the cable out of the way or tighten it back up(careful its greasy). Note that if you tighten it back up you will need to pull on it with one hand, and loosen it with the other when you go to get it down. It loosens because it has the weight of the spare tire on it, and will not come down without weight/tension on it.

Then loosen the two 13mm nuts holding your evap canister in place. It is located inside the drivers side frame rail next to the spare tire.

You will use the 13mm socket and probably the box end wrench to remove these nuts that hold it on. The nuts are located on the outside of the frame rails. The canister will stay put so don't worry about it falling.

Then take your creeper if you have one, and roll your sway bar under the van and drop it off near the axle.

Attached Thumbnails
creeperin.JPG   evapcanister copy.jpg   markanddrill copy.jpg  
Old 06-02-2014, 09:01 PM   #3

Next I just worked on getting the sway bar up on one side, placing the bushings and washers in the end link in the correct orientation, and I just started the bolt through the frame so that it was held in place but not tightened.

Then I used a jack to get the other side up, and placed a bolt in that end link and just started the nut on the bolt so that there was play in the end link where it meets the frame.

I used the floor jack to raise and roll the sway bar forward to get it into position for the u-bolts. Use caution that the sway bar doesn't come off the back of the jack as your rolling forward.

Next comes the important part. There are various lines and hoses on my axle that I don't remember seeing on the donor vehicle. You need to install the u-bolts so that they are over all lines, brake lines, hoses, wires or whatever else you may find back there. So not crimp, clamp, or pinch and lines in between your axle and your clamps.

Loosely install all the brackets, washers and nuts, and then start tightening them down. I used the large channel locks to grab the outside of the u-bolts and flex them in so that I could get the brackets on. They had a little spring and I needed the channel locks to get them lined up. Notice the orientation of the bar and the u-bolt clamps. This is how the van was that I took them off of. I placed the bar so that there was no pre-load on the van, placing it in a neutral position.

Once I had both sides up and on, I centered the bar as best I could, and tightened all the clamps, and end link bolts down, 6 total to tighten. As you are tightening, use the pry bar and move the u-bolts and bar around to get it centered.
Attached Thumbnails
onesideup.JPG   brakelinerotate.jpg   brakelinerotate2.jpg  
Old 06-02-2014, 09:53 PM   #4

As you are tightening the end link bolts, place a box end wrench in the frame rail, this will free up your other hand so that all you have to do is tighten from the outside of the frame.

Tighten the evap canister back down, return your spare tire to its carrier and your done.

Enjoy less body roll, better cornering on highway ramps and generally better handling.
Attached Thumbnails
tightenendlink1.jpg   finished.JPG  
Old 06-02-2014, 09:56 PM   #5

One issue that I will be addressing is that the end link rubs on the exhaust shield on the passenger side. I will see if I can either bend the hanger out of the way, or adjust it in another way.
Old 06-03-2014, 03:13 AM   #6
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA

Interesting write up, never heard of the IPD offerings.

I will say I've added the Hellwig rear bar to two different E250's--they're a huge handling improvement. The advantage to Hellwig is they're readily available and are a bit easier to install DIY.

Removing the spare makes working in that area a lot easier too---rear shocks aren't quite the big hassle they once were before I discovered that secret!
JWA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 06:29 AM   #7

Nice! Last year I grabbed a rear sway bar off a junkyard e450 cutaway. $30 including links, bar and hardware. I had to buy u-bolts.
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote