Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-18-2014, 02:44 PM   #1

6.0 PSD Transmission limp mode

Short story:
2006 E350, 6.0 PSD
Did some engine braking down some mountain grades on my last trip (2 weeks ago), OD off light flashed for a while then went back off when I got on the interstate. TFT never reached a non-normal temp.
This morning, I started the van (after being parked since the trip) and see CEL code U0155 (cluster lost comm), OD "Off" light flashing on Trans shifter (indicating Limp mode), transmission shifting hard (or not at all). I cleared the code, it came back so it's probably something real.

The Ford dealerships near me won't scan without an appointment and are booked up for the next 2-3 weeks. I'll probably go somewhere else...

Does anyone know if Auto Enginuity will read the transmission trouble code? I've been thinking about getting the tool anyway, and this might be the reason.

I know it's a long shot and probably impossible, but does anyone want to venture a guess at the issue based on my symptoms?

On my list of things to check:
Battery condition (alternator voltage reads 13.5-13.7 while running)
Obvious wire chafing
Crud in Transmission and PCM connectors if I can access them.

Old 07-18-2014, 06:16 PM   #2

Re: 6.0 PSD Transmission limp mode

Fuel pump????
salivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 07:23 PM   #3

I would hope AE will read all the codes. If I can ever get mine working I'll know for sure.

Downshifting, by itself, did not cause your code. I do that all the time, probably 25-50 times today alone whiile coming down from the Dempster. If turning off the OD isn't enogh, sometimes I shift down to 3rd, or even 2nd to slow down.

I'd hope for a loose connector or a wire issue.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 06:00 PM   #4

I see you're in Seattle. I been taking my 2005 SMB to Bill Pierre Ford in Lake City ever since I got it. They've been great so far, and I've been able to schedule routine maintenance with just a day's notice. I'd think they'd be able to check your rig quicker than 2 to 3 weeks?

good luck!

Tom
Old 07-21-2014, 09:11 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfisher
I see you're in Seattle. I been taking my 2005 SMB to Bill Pierre Ford in Lake City ever since I got it. They've been great so far, and I've been able to schedule routine maintenance with just a day's notice. I'd think they'd be able to check your rig quicker than 2 to 3 weeks?

good luck!

Tom
Thanks for the tip- I'll check 'em out. Horizon and Sound Ford (Renton) are the ones close to me, but I don't mind driving across town.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford_6L_E350
Downshifting, by itself, did not cause your code. I do that all the time, probably 25-50 times today alone whiile coming down from the Dempster. If turning off the OD isn't enogh, sometimes I shift down to 3rd, or even 2nd to slow down.

I'd hope for a loose connector or a wire issue.

Mike
Yeah, I downshift all the time too, almost more than I use my brakes... I only mentioned it as it was when the symptoms showed up. When I get some time this week I'm going to check all the connectors I can access.
Old 07-30-2014, 11:51 PM   #6

Blake,

You might also want to check Horizon Ford. They are in South Seattle their core business is commercial sales and they probably service more diesels than any other dealer around. I have had my van serviced there several times and always had good results.

Good Luck
John
Old 07-31-2014, 12:08 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by John and Dana
Blake,

You might also want to check Horizon Ford.
Yeah, they're one of the ones with the 3 week backlog...

So, as I drove the van more lately trying to isolate symptoms, they stopped showing up. The only difference is the battery voltage is consistently higher when I start the van. I still haven't done a load test on the batteries, but I suspect this is probably the cause.

My controls-engineer coworkers think this is probably a CAN bus / voltage sensitivity thing. If the issue shows up again, I'll try to get somewhere to scan it, but until then... I'll be camping.