Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-07-2014, 02:00 PM   #1

5.4 V8 coil pack recommendation?

Has anyone had any experience with aftermarket coil packs such as the those sold by Summit Racing; http://www.summitracing.com/parts/acc-1 ... /make/ford

My question is whether they would give me a boost in mileage [mpg]? My engine is a low mileage [69,000] 2 valve 5.4 V8.

Trent

Trent4444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 02:03 PM   #2

Re: 5.4 V8 coil pack recommendation?

Opps, I put the wrong link [for the 3 valve engine] in the previous,,, correct one is;
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/acc-1 ... /make/ford

Trent
Trent4444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 03:48 AM   #3
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA

Here's my real life experience with any brand other than MotorCraft: Avoid them! Not sure what's shown in this link but Excell are said to be among the worst offender for this part.

I bought a set of Granatelli COP's for something like $210, installed them in April easily enough but within 2 months one failed---warranty replaced it free. The next winter had another failure, also warranty replaced. Periodically through that winter during first start up after overnight temps dropped below 30* I'd have a misfire. Once operating temp was reached shutting engine off then almost immediately firing it up again the misfire was gone. This repeated itself until I was finally able to isolate the situation to just one of the COP's.

One-by-one I've replaced several more over time, fortunately I kept the original parts. At the time of the first swap my E250 had over 210K miles---it now has 273K miles with a mix of original MotorCraft COP's and a few Grantelli's too.

The better brands cost a bit more for certain but long life and dependability are worth more to me than a scant few dollars. MotorCraft can be found any number of parts sellers for prices pretty much in line with each other.

Hope this helps!
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 12:56 AM   #4

ACCEL coils have a very failure rate (as do Grantreli). Same with most parts-store brands, which the exception of NAPA Echlin, except those cost as much or more than the OEMs.

I tried DENSO when I did my last tune-up, since they were 1/2 the cost. So far so good. Its been about 20,000 miles so far. RockAuto says they have not had a single warranty claim for them, and DENSO does produce some of the Motorcraft-branded coil packs for this application.
Old 08-11-2014, 04:05 AM   #5
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA

The only time I've bought a COP other than MotorCraft was the NAPA Echlin brand---paid $71, was in a hurry and couldn't wait that particular day. Closest Ford dealer had none in stock, my price there about $52.

As I've learned saving a few dollars on COP's tends to not be worth the initial savings because reliability and long life is my goal always.
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote