Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-12-2014, 05:38 PM   #1

Useless Parking Brake

The parking brake on my van just won't hold, never has. Even after an adjustment it will not hold on more that a slight 3% or 4% grade. When I park I have to shift to PARK and then very slowly ease off the brakes as it comes to rest against the lock in the transmission. Bad for the tranny and bad for my nerves. If I leave it in gear with the engine idling and the foot brake full on, it will roll away on flat ground.

What can I do? No amount of tinkering by at least 3 different mechanics has helped.

Old 08-12-2014, 07:13 PM   #2

Re: Useless Parking Brake

My guess would be that the shoes are glazed. They are an organic compound, so driving with them on one time will glaze them. Also, have they been checked to make sure you don't have leaky seals dribbling oil on them?

NAPA sells a semi-mettalic version, but plain old organics actually have the best cold coefficient of friction.

Anyways.... not normal. You should have better holding power than that.
Old 08-13-2014, 07:09 AM   #3

I have same problem as reported in different thread. My brakes did not pass inspection, so I had rear seals and shoes replaced. It did not help much at all. Now a couple of years later I'm facing inspection failure again. Adjustment alone is useless.

I'm glad that new Transit parking brakes are more like those of many cars in that they seem integrated into caliper. I don't like my E-350's parking brake at all.
Chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 10:20 AM   #4

I was thinking along the lines of doing a line lock install or some sort of a driveline / transfercase brake, but checking / replacing the e-brake shoes first makes way more sense!
Old 08-13-2014, 10:43 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by carringb
My guess would be that the shoes are glazed. They are an organic compound, so driving with them on one time will glaze them. Also, have they been checked to make sure you don't have leaky seals dribbling oil on them?

NAPA sells a semi-mettalic version, but plain old organics actually have the best cold coefficient of friction.

Anyways.... not normal. You should have better holding power than that.
Thanks Bob. I guess I'll have the shoes replaced and seals checked.

I'm sure that within a week, I'll drive with it on again. I need more help than that dim idiot light on the dash provides.

It seems to me that the whole system needs to be re-engineered. The shoe / drum setup is designed to slow and stop a rotating wheel with friction. The parking brake - should be called parking lock - should be some mechanical system like a pin through a shaft or other slip proof mechanism.

What rockbender just said while I was writing this! Does such a thing exist? I want one!
Old 08-13-2014, 11:20 AM   #6

Line locks are used in the drag racing world. Its a valve that is turned on by a switch and then you press the brake pedal down and let go. The valve holds the pressure on whichever "line" you have them on, typically the fronts, then mash on the gas and you can do your smokey burnout to heat up the tires and not waste your rear pads.

http://www.summitracing.com/search/part ... =Ascending
Old 08-13-2014, 11:41 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viejo

Thanks Bob (Bryan ).
What rockbender just said while I was writing this! Does such a thing exist? I want one!
We have a 1967 Ford pickup at work that uses a line lock for an e-brake. It seems to work well and doesn't bleed off as far as I know, but that is one risk you'd be taking. Plus, it ties in to the regular brake system which may or may not be a good thing.

Perhaps looking into a driveline e-brake would be the best solution? Perhaps not the cheapest, but effective!

There may be kits available depending on what TC you have.
cheers,
josh
Old 08-13-2014, 01:53 PM   #8
Site Team

I have that driveline brake on my Bronco.

Maybe its not installed correctly, or adjusted correctly, but I'm very underwhelmed with it.

Herb
Old 08-13-2014, 02:56 PM   #9

I had solenoid line-locks on the front and rear brake circuits on my rock buggy. One thing to be aware of is that when you leave them engaged, they draw power and (really) heat up. Probably not the right choice for a parking brake.

Now, a manual ball valve designed for hydraulics (Swagelock or similar) to do the line-locking would be something I'd be more confident in leaving for more than a few minutes. I still don't know if I'd set it and leave it parked unattended on a hill for the weekend...
Old 08-13-2014, 03:04 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockbender

We have a 1967 Ford pickup at work that uses a line lock for an e-brake. It seems to work well and doesn't bleed off as far as I know, but that is one risk you'd be taking. Plus, it ties in to the regular brake system which may or may not be a good thing.

josh
In some states, this isn't (street) legal.
http://www.azleg.state.az.us/ars/28/00952.htm
That has requirements for the brake systems for street-legal vehicles.

The key requirement is that the two systems (service brakes and parking brake) be separated or designed so that failure of one does not affect the performance of the other.