Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-29-2014, 11:38 PM   #1

Anyone know a good diesel mechanic in Fresno?

Having start issues and think it might be the FICM. Not sure if this is something I can have tested or that I am capable of tackling.

ecmccarthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 11:57 PM   #2

Garage
Re: Anyone know a good diesel mechanic in Fresno?

Hi. I have a vehicle at Express Truck Service, Fresno, not sure weather to recommend yet, first time. Talk to daveb he has used Zylstra Automotive, PM him, see what he says.
2008 Yellow Ford E350 6.0 diesel eb50 4x4, Front E Locker, Asheville Eng Rebuil 20th @ 261miles, ARP Studds, 200amp Alternator, Performance Aluminium Radiator, OnBoardAir, RoadmasterActiveSuspension, Front & Rear Aluminess with Spare Tire Carrier, Aluminess Roof Rack, Titan Aft 30gallon Fuel Tank.
Sheriffdoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 02:39 PM   #3
Site Team

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecmccarthy
Having start issues and think it might be the FICM. Not sure if this is something I can have tested or that I am capable of tackling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheriffdoug
Hi. I have a vehicle at Express Truck Service, Fresno, not sure weather to recommend yet, first time. Talk to daveb he has used Zylstra Automotive, PM him, see what he says.
What engine are you running? 6.0 PSD? There is Browns diesel in Riverdale. They do a ton of diesel work mainly for farmers in the area. They did my wire harness last year. And as Doug mentioned, Zylstra Auto in Visalia does a lot of work on diesel engines...big and small stuff. Sean is very familiar with the 6.0 and they do most of the areas ambulance rigs. A couple of things to be aware of is they are very expensive and mark up parts to almost double of what you can buy them for. If I'd have known that I would have purchased some things myself and took it to them. Also ask about their return policy.

Roger Vogts just down the road from Zylstra's is a good shop for gassers and have a good reputation. R&R auto in Fresno also has a good record working on gas engines. I'v never dealt with them though. Both do a radio talk show and seem to know their jobs. I'd think they would do diesel work as well.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 02:26 PM   #4

It's a 2004 6.0 PSD.
Old 08-31-2014, 03:08 PM   #5
Site Team

Garage

Zylstra's is where mine is now. They have done work for me in the past and I was happy. Not saying any of the others wouldn't be a good choice but other than Brown's Diesel I can't say I know much about them. Brown's in in the middle of a one horse town out in BFE but did great service for me. At least R&R is IN Fresno. Give them a call.

Too funny though. This is a picture from street view:

My van is in the bay
Attached Thumbnails
Browns Diesel.JPG  

Old 08-31-2014, 03:14 PM   #6
Site Team

Dave, have you checked to see if your van is in the Google maps image of SMB's parking lot, and maybe Freedom Ford's too?

Herb
Old 08-31-2014, 04:09 PM   #7
Site Team

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoHauler
Dave, have you checked to see if your van is in the Google maps image of SMB's parking lot, and maybe Freedom Ford's too?

Herb
Yeah, I see a guy swinging a hammer at my window inside the parking lot at Freedom Ford

Old 09-01-2014, 09:29 AM   #8

I live in the area, and fwiw, Browns was great with my 5.9 cummins, they know their stuff. Also Zylstra is great, they service lots of diesel ambulances from what I understand. If iI can be of any help, let me know, my office is a few minutes from Zylstras.
J
yondermountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 04:25 PM   #9
Site Team

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by yondermountain
I live in the area, and fwiw, Browns was great with my 5.9 cummins, they know their stuff. Also Zylstra is great, they service lots of diesel ambulances from what I understand. If iI can be of any help, let me know, my office is a few minutes from Zylstras.
J
Really? Not to go off subject but I gots to know! We were looking for a good place, no above standard place to eat Friday.
Sean said something about a brewery but he didn't sound like it was outstanding although the fact that is was a brewery stuck
heavily in our minds Decided to hit Fresno instead. Anything good around Zylstra's? Gonna pick the van up in a couple of weeks.
Maybe you can join me for lunch if the timing is right. Might bring my buddy Don along for the trip if he gets back from the
Hawaiian Islands that him and his wife is on with another couple I know. I'll probably need a beer when I get the bill from Zylstra's

Back on subject, I saw a fire truck being worked on so I would think Zylstra's know what they are doing.
Like I already posted, I was very happy with their work the last time I was there.

Old 09-01-2014, 09:05 PM   #10

Thanks for all the suggestions! I love this forum. I'll call Zylstra's and give 'em a try. If I could just get the engine issues worked out I could go on a trip w/out loosing sleep, then start buying more toys!