Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-15-2014, 06:12 AM   #1

Send a message via AIM to Greg In Austin Send a message via Yahoo to Greg In Austin
Engine Controllers

Howdy,

We are looking for anyone that has installed an EDGE controller on a Ford 6.0L Powerstroke Diesel.

Anyone out there?

Power is not the goal here, we have plenty of that. We are looking for fuel economy.

Thanks,
Greg in Austin

2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (15 to 18 mpg) [Johnnie]
2012 Mitsubishi MiEV (no gas required) ($.50/day in electricity) [Evie]
https://badge.facebook.com/badge/1232...3.32047100.png
Greg In Austin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 10:52 AM   #2

Re: Engine Controllers

Won't do a thing for fuel economy. It takes fuel to make power. The testimonials on the product sites are misleading, but they can keep those claims with the magic words "users report." Part of the trick is the programmers fool the in dash trip computer into displaying better MPGs, and many drivers never actually verify those numbers.
Old 09-15-2014, 11:31 AM   #3

Send a message via AIM to Greg In Austin Send a message via Yahoo to Greg In Austin

Actually, it will improve fuel economy... and significantly.

At Overland Expo I met a couple that had just installed one for a monitoring purpose, and with just some default settings were seeing dramatically improved fuel economy. This surprised them so they started watching closer and it proved to be correct and a pleasant surprise.

Again, I am not wanting more power, I don't need more power, I have power to burn.

I specifically want to go after fuel economy.

...and the problem is they are not offered for E-series...

and thus my questions.
Old 09-15-2014, 05:51 PM   #4

I have better fuel economy and much more power with a custom SCT tune. I can only surmise that the OEM program is so inefficient to control emissions and other factors that it wastes fuel somehow. For 10 years I could barely merge on to the freeway or safely pass vehicles while only getting 13.5 mpg (50K miles of all types). Now I can get 16 or greater on extended freeway miles and 14.5 on my short commute. I do wonder how you have oodles of power with just a stock setup. Could there be that much individual difference? FYI I had a slight increase in fuel economy with the FICM 40 HP PHP service through ED's FICM Repair before the tuner.

Pat
2004 SMB 4x4 RB 6.0 PSD; ARP Head Studs, Gen 3 Cylinder Heads, BPD Oil Cooler connected to AMSOil Bypass, a whistling Wicked Wheel Turbo, Coolant Filter, Upgraded alternator, ScanGauge, SCT custom and SMB Fox shocks.
BFG 285/75 R16 KM3 Mud Terrains on ProComp 7069's
PatO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 05:52 PM   #5

You don't want a canned program like the Edge and they are also known to burn up transmissions. If you want to gain some fuel economy get an SCT Tuner and have someone that knows what they are doing write you a custom PCM tune. It will advance your timing a little and you will gain a bit more fuel economy by adding some horsepower. If anything, firming up the shift points is worth it in my opinion.
JoeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 06:54 PM   #6

I'm on my phone so I can't really get into the how's and why a tuner can be harmful. If you are not making black smoke, the only way to further improve efficiency is to advance injector timing, which increases cylinder pressure and combustion temps. Neither of those things will help the longevity of your motor. But if saving a couple bucks per trip is worth more frequent motor replacements, go for it I guess.

When a 6.0 grenades it ain't pretty
Old 09-15-2014, 07:24 PM   #7

We have no intention of doing something that would harm the engine. We are probably taking better care than most with our 2008. We don't get in a hurry, rarely driving over 65 on the highway and we don't try to do things in a hurry under heavy torque, watching both tranny and engine temps closely.

Don't think everything is black or white. It is rarely ever ONE aspect, or ONE factor that results in the death of a 6.0L.

...and thus the reason I am asking the questions and looking for the experience that I am....

BUT, thank you for your concern and your advice. We will take everything we learn into consideration as we make our decisions.
Old 09-15-2014, 07:37 PM   #8

Hey Guys,

I can say that I had a hot tune on my van from DP Tuner. It made the van feel like a race car and generated a stupid amount of heat by advancing the timing.

The tune didn't work for my use. I called Mike at 5 Star and we reworked everything. My oil temps dropped by 20 degrees, my fuel mileage is 17 - 18 MPG on the highway at 60. Drops at 65 -70. I do have 4.56 gears! 6.0 PSD BTW.

Anyway I believe that the factory tune is a compromise and that a custom tune can improve drivability and MPG if you are consistent and honest about what you want the van to do.

Towing a 9000 lb trailer I get 10-12MPG.

Jim
capnjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 07:45 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg In Austin
We have no intention of doing something that would harm the engine. We are probably taking better care than most with our 2008. We don't get in a hurry, rarely driving over 65 on the highway and we don't try to do things in a hurry under heavy torque, watching both tranny and engine temps closely.

Don't think everything is black or white. It is rarely ever ONE aspect, or ONE factor that results in the death of a 6.0L.

...and thus the reason I am asking the questions and looking for the experience that I am....

BUT, thank you for your concern and your advice. We will take everything we learn into consideration as we make our decisions.
I am far from a subject matter expert. But I have read extensively about 6.0psd issues/problems and asked a trusted mechanic for advice. For me, the conclusion is to not tune/chip the motor and leave it alone. I have noticed a sequence that includes posts stating "wow, just installed the XYZ tune and it really brings out the power, better MPGs too".....followed a couple months later by "frigging 6.0! Threw a bunch of codes this week and am getting a lot of smoke out the tailpipe".

Coincidence?

Do not know, but I am fine leaving well enough alone.

Rob
Old 09-15-2014, 07:56 PM   #10

Thanks Rob, but just as Jim describes, from what I have read, most folks seem to be looking for more power or more speed. We are looking for neither of those. They rarely seem to be looking only for fuel economy.

Our daily drivers are a Prius and an EV, and we drive the SMB using the same techniques learned in driving those two.

...and this does not change the reason I am asking the questions and looking for the experience that I am....