Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-16-2014, 05:31 PM   #1

6.0 problems and all your issues

Im a soon to be SMB owner and I been overwhelmed with all the negative things I hear about the 6.0. Im all for a diesel for the long life and great for traveling but im concerned about engine issues. Yea I know you can get "kits" to battle the issues and make it bulletproof. But I'm curious to know what you all have done to enjoy your trips. Hope ya'll can help me out

BeardedVermonter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 06:14 PM   #2
Site Team

Re: 6.0 problems and all your issues

Lots of material already posted on this forum and many other forums. Search for 'bulletproof', 'EGR cooler', 'oil cooler', 'ipr', 'ficm'.
Old 09-16-2014, 06:37 PM   #3

Garage

Or just 'settle' for a slightly older 7.3l. Couldn't be happier with my decision and I've been able to spend some of the 'repair' budget on fun upgrades vs not-so-fun repairs
Old 09-16-2014, 07:46 PM   #4

Send a message via AIM to Greg In Austin Send a message via Yahoo to Greg In Austin

Although there are folks that have had problems, in these days of social media, you will get an impression that they never live long, but that could be incorrect.

Remember that this engine was available for years and was sold into the ambulance community, and they kept getting purchased for those purposes.

I would contend that there are far far more people that are happy with their 6.0L Powerstroke than are unhappy, but the happy folks are quiet.

No question, there are folks that have had problems, and there have been trends in the problems. Earlier 6.0L engines had different issues than later models, because, as would be expected, some of the problems were worked out.

But with a few exceptions, you could likely find the same thing with any other engine used in the way the 6.0L has been used.

We have just under 50k miles are our 6.0L, and we expect it to live long and prosper.
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (15 to 18 mpg) [Johnnie]
2012 Mitsubishi MiEV (no gas required) ($.50/day in electricity) [Evie]
https://badge.facebook.com/badge/1232...3.32047100.png
Greg In Austin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 09:39 PM   #5

And read this for a shop / mechanic point of view:https://www.strictlydiesel.com/Produ...Disclaimer.pdf
2004 SMB 4x4 RB 6.0 PSD; ARP Head Studs, Gen 3 Cylinder Heads, BPD Oil Cooler connected to AMSOil Bypass, a whistling Wicked Wheel Turbo, Coolant Filter, Upgraded alternator, ScanGauge, SCT custom and SMB Fox shocks.
BFG 285/75 R16 KM3 Mud Terrains on ProComp 7069's
PatO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 07:35 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeardedVermonter
Im a soon to be SMB owner and I been overwhelmed with all the negative things I hear about the 6.0. Im all for a diesel for the long life and great for traveling but im concerned about engine issues. Yea I know you can get "kits" to battle the issues and make it bulletproof. But I'm curious to know what you all have done to enjoy your trips. Hope ya'll can help me out
Don't reach for more power via tunes, etc.....
Use a fuel additive regularly
Drive it hard to minimize carbon buildup

R
Old 09-17-2014, 09:00 AM   #7

PatO: That was an interesting read. Strictly Diesel is also respected in the 7.3L world. I searched for but couldn't find a Strictly Diesel 7.3 POWERSTROKE DIESEL DISCLAIMER / RELEASE. If you have access to it would you mind posting it, or emailing/pm-ing it to me?

With my little bit of knowledge, I have always regarded the 6.0L PSD as the souped up version of the 7.3L PSD. Whereas the 7.3L PSD is less efficient, less powerful, with proper maintenance it can be more reliable. (Even more so for the older 6.9/7.3L IDI.) Which leads people to soup up the 7.3L PSD, because it has headroom for more power without necessarily failing. In contrast, the 6.0L is already souped up and runs closer to the edge of failure and thus really needs to be properly used and maintained so as not to be pushed over that edge.

Knowledge is power. But, in their OEM configurations, neither the 7.3L nor the 6.0L PCM knows how hot the exhaust gas (and thus what the diesel combustion cylinders/pistons/heads/valves) temps are. That is why I suggested dual EGT gauges to Greg if he is going to use a tuner. It seems that Strictly Diesel agrees that knowing how hot your pressure ignited diesel combustion cylinders/pistons/heads/valves are is important:

"b. Use of ANY aftermarket performance enhancing electronics without some form of exhaust temperature monitoring."

Heat combusts diesel.

But too much heat cracks things.

It seems to me that most of the aftermarket "bulletproofing" stuff done to the 6.0L is to protect the engine from too much heat.

Maybe knowing how hot your EGTs are is a good idea so you can "manage" your engine's heat in real-time to prevent it from overheating, not just do a one-time bulletproofing to protect against heat?
2002 E350 ext.; 160K; 7.3L; 4R100 (w/4x4 deep pan & filter); 4x4 conv. w/2007 F250/F350 coil frnt axle (oppos. dual Bilstein press. shocks cured DW) diff chg from 3.55 to 3.73 (bad!); BW1356 t.c. (bad!); LT265/70R17/E Michelin LTX M/S2; Engel MT60 Combi Fridge-Freezer; 4 BP 380J pv panels; Auragen 5kw AC gen. in top alt. position; Webasto Dual-Top; Voyager top. 1995 5.8L EB Bronco, bone stock.
E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 12:11 PM   #8

I run a mild tune on my '05 6.0 and have for about 30K miles and I love it. I do monitor the suggested EOT/FWT delta via Scangauge and the EGT via an analogue Auto Meter gauge. I also have a modified EGR and downstream exhaust situation.... Watching these temps I've never seen my EGTs anywhere close to a dangerous level for any amount of time and my delta is always within 7 or 8 degrees but I am glad to have the piece of mind that the gauges provide. My recommendation would be to definitely get the Scangauge, but unless you are going to run a really hot tune or tow a lot on long grades the EGT may not be necessary except for piece of mind. Having said all this, I recognize that many people love their 6.0 and then it all goes wrong and they hate it. My van currently has 59K miles on it.
Quigley with Agile RIP, 6.0 PSD
WhitH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 11:47 AM   #9

Any diesel engine requires more maintenance and careful attention to oil changes and filters. People also forget that the 6.0 is not the only diesel engine to have problems. Even the 7.3 is not bombproof.

I was able to drive 90 miles over three mountain passes between Telluride and Durango with an injector with a cracked tip. The mechanic who repaired it in Durango said that would have melted the piston on a cummins for sure.
JoeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 10:17 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg In Austin
Although there are folks that have had problems, in these days of social media, you will get an impression that they never live long, but that could be incorrect.
The class action settlement was just a beat up then?

"A job worth doing is worth doing at least twice."
ANZAC is offline   Reply With Quote