Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-25-2014, 12:32 PM   #1

Heater valve bypass to fix "heated dashboard vents"?

Hi folks,

I have a '98 E-350 with V-10 and along with plenty of doghouse heat (need to work on that) I have "heated vents." In other words, the air coming out the dash vents (even if it is 60º outside) is stiflingly warm, even with the temperature wheel all the way in the blue. I can counteract this by running the A/C, but there are many times I would prefer just to have outside air coming in the vents (but not heated )

I previously had a '97 E-250 with the 5.4 V-8 and did not have this problem (nor the hot doghouse). Maybe the two additional cylinders are right at the back and that contributes to the problem?

Anyway, in a PM with another forum member he mentioned a heater valve bypass that apparently helps with this problem. That would be fantastic! I searched various terms here (heater, bypass, valve, vent) but found mostly threads on furnace type heaters or water heater bypasses. I did find one mention of the vent issue, but it was a passing mention in the "What did you do today..." thread.

So, can anyone point me to an existing thread and/or discuss this issue here? I sure would like to get out of the "sauna" and back to comfortable driving (btw, the engine is not running particularly hot - usually around 193º to 198º with occasional blips to 202º (then fan comes on, but the heat problem exists even when this is not happening).

Thanks,
Viva

Viva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 12:44 PM   #2

Heater valve bypass to fix "heated dashboard vents"?

It could also be a blend door issue. I know there are some threads on this on the FTE van forums. I'll track if down for you when I can get to a real computer.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 12:56 PM   #3

Re: Heater valve bypass to fix

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Scotty
It could also be a blend door issue. I know there are some threads on this on the FTE van forums. I'll track if down for you when I can get to a real computer.
Aha, well maybe I should just have posted the issue and asked what the problem might be! I would very much appreciate any leads, whether or not it is specifically a bypass or something else.

The problem is (even) more noticeable when I have stopped for a short while (engine at full temp) and then get going again. It's always bad, but just worse then, I guess when the hot engine and vents have been "sitting together." I miss my fresh/cool vents!

Thanks to anyone for any tips,
Viva
Old 09-25-2014, 02:03 PM   #4

Re: Heater valve bypass to fix "heated dashboard vents"?

Found some info: http://www.thedieselstop.com/forums/...-valve-157834/
Old 09-25-2014, 02:28 PM   #5

I have the exact same year, engine, and problem....only no working AC. Interested in how this unfolds...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viva
Hi folks,

I have a '98 E-350 with V-10 and along with plenty of doghouse heat (need to work on that) I have "heated vents." In other words, the air coming out the dash vents (even if it is 60º outside) is stiflingly warm, even with the temperature wheel all the way in the blue. I can counteract this by running the A/C, but there are many times I would prefer just to have outside air coming in the vents (but not heated )

I previously had a '97 E-250 with the 5.4 V-8 and did not have this problem (nor the hot doghouse). Maybe the two additional cylinders are right at the back and that contributes to the problem?

Anyway, in a PM with another forum member he mentioned a heater valve bypass that apparently helps with this problem. That would be fantastic! I searched various terms here (heater, bypass, valve, vent) but found mostly threads on furnace type heaters or water heater bypasses. I did find one mention of the vent issue, but it was a passing mention in the "What did you do today..." thread.

So, can anyone point me to an existing thread and/or discuss this issue here? I sure would like to get out of the "sauna" and back to comfortable driving (btw, the engine is not running particularly hot - usually around 193º to 198º with occasional blips to 202º (then fan comes on, but the heat problem exists even when this is not happening).

Thanks,
Viva
sierraskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 04:34 PM   #6

Good to know this may be of use to you, too. I do miss the "good old days" of tooling along in 65º weather with my vents open and no AC (in my E-250 SMB with 5.4).

I found the product that Carringb's linked thread discusses on Dieselsite a couple hours ago (also mentioned in another thread I unearthed from a tip earlier in this one). It is called the "Max Assist." This helps the AC, but only on Max setting (recirculate). It apparently has to do with how the vacuum lines are set up in the Ford. However, they make another product, "The Cold Rush," which apparently helps the problem on all settings (including vent). However it requires that the Max Assist be installed as well/first, from what I can tell.

http://www.dieselsite.com/maxacassistac ... 0373l.aspx

http://www.dieselsite.com/coldrush.aspx

I wrote to Dieselsite to ask about fitment for an E-350 with V-10, since from what I could see they were mentioning trucks. Haven't heard back yet but when I do I will post here.

And now to go see what the thread Carringb linked to says about putting these on vans...
Old 09-25-2014, 04:46 PM   #7

I also found this thread, which shows the installation of a Max Assist in an SMB (but not sure which engine - sounds like maybe 6.0 diesel - maybe others here can tell just by looking). I have to admit that the installation looks a bit intimidating to me, but at least it shows that it can be done. The Cold Rush sounds easier (but you need Max Assist to put in Cold Rush in most cases, it sounds like).

http://sportsmobileforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=4635
Old 09-25-2014, 05:04 PM   #8

I recently read up on this when the heater core on my 95 SMB went out on me. I was curious as to why the vent air was always warmer than the ambient air outside and read that it had something to do with hot water always running through the heater core and not only on the heat setting. Basically, because the heater core is always hot, any air that passes through it will be heated. The bypass valve is supposed to bypass the water running into the heater core so that the core isnt hot. I read some reviews saying it worked great and then some that said they hardley noticed a difference.

I considered this mod for my 05 with the V10 because the vent air is noticeably warmer than ambient air. I figure my local shop would charge me about an hour for labor since the instructions say something about being able to install it in like 20 minutes. Never got around to it yet, but this has re-sparked my interest in it.
Old 09-25-2014, 06:27 PM   #9

While I'm not glad to hear that others are also suffering with "heated vents," it is nice that more people are interested and contributing to the thread. Won't it be great if we can get our vents to simply bring cool/ambient air into the cab? I prefer that to AC when possible regardless, but plus it seems silly to have to run the AC (and get even worse gas mileage) in cool weather. Plus when I'm towing I tend to turn off the AC on long pulls and then end up roasting. The road noise of open windows also gets old on a long trip.

Anyway, maybe now that there are a few of us interested, we can use the momentum (and the great resources here) to figure out a good fix

PS: Oddly, I never noticed this in my '97 with 5.4, and that engine actually ran hotter than my current V-10 (206º consistently vs. 198º for the V-10, although the V-10 fluctuates a bit more than the 5.4 did). Maybe the additional two cylinders somehow position things to heat up more? A "last straw" thing in addition to the heater core situation?

Anyway, I will be thrilled if I can get this fixed!
Old 09-25-2014, 06:58 PM   #10
Site Team

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viva
I also found this thread, which shows the installation of a Max Assist in an SMB (but not sure which engine - sounds like maybe 6.0 diesel - maybe others here can tell just by looking). I have to admit that the installation looks a bit intimidating to me, but at least it shows that it can be done. The Cold Rush sounds easier (but you need Max Assist to put in Cold Rush in most cases, it sounds like).

http://sportsmobileforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=4635
IIRC Herb had or was going to do it before he sold his van. I'm like you... very intimidating and have planned to do it one of these days but I'll let somebody who actually knows what the hell they're doing. Besides, I'm lazy and have the money. Well after I pay off the bullet proof job
Sucks when dust is coming in the back doors and it's cool enough to not use the vent mode but get hot air forcing me to use the AC and freeze myself out.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote