Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-11-2015, 01:09 PM   #1
Site Team

Garage
Upgrading battery to starter wire

Looks like my 6.0 has 2/0 wire running from the batteries to the starter. My wire was damaged and needs to be replaced. I also need to replace the battery cables and the winch cable which was the catalyst of the whole mess. Ford doesn't sell the jump standoff by itself... only as a complete battery wire harness. That harness is almost 1000 bucks. I also don't like how tight those cables are when trying to replace the batteries. Several companies make high end cables for a reasonable price and I can use an insulated standoff post to parallel the batteries and go from that to the starter.

So a few question to those who can help me out:

>>Should I replace the wire from the Standoff to the starter assembly with 4/0 or just reuse the 2/0? (BTW I already have plenty of 1/0-2/0 & 4/0)

>>What size lug do I need to terminate at the starter? (I was guessing it's 3/8 or is it 1/2?)

>>I'd like to find another one of those frame mounted jumping posts but can't find anything on line. The plan is to use the Warn jumper cable quick disconnect plug up front instead. I still might check with an auto wrecker but being I can assist start via the house batteries I don't know if I really need that Jumping post.

Thanks for any help.
Dave

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 01:26 PM   #2

Re: Upgrading battery to starter wire

Frame mounted jump cable assembly is $34 on rock auto. Full battery wiring harness is $540. You could order the 258" wheelbase version for extra battery lead, but that's an extra $90.
Old 01-11-2015, 01:31 PM   #3
Site Team

Here's a starting point for a frame mounted jump start stud: 8900215r92

Not sure if its the one on a Ford, but it looks to be an International/Navistar number.

Herb
Old 01-11-2015, 01:33 PM   #4

Also, the "emergency start" feature on your battery isolator probably won't be able to jump a fully dead diesel. The glow plugs will rob too much current, which will not allow your starting batteries to take any charge from the house batteries. Jumping a fully dead diesel often take two sources (i.e. donor rig and a jumpstart pack).
Old 01-11-2015, 01:57 PM   #5
Site Team

Garage

Thanks... I'll take a look tomorrow. Can you contact them by phone? They don't show a picture of what that assembly looks like.
I'd like to get by as cheap as possible. I already have the wire, and the other parts and lugs can be purchased for about 150 bucks. I just don't know if 4/0 is overkill. Guess it can't hurt and the lugs aren't much more.
I just don't know what size lug stud is on the back of the starter but I can check tomorrow.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote