Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-11-2015, 09:19 PM   #1

Rear Differential Upgrade Options for 2WD's

Hello.
I don't know much, yet, about locking diff and would apprecite info around best upgrade to my rear differential. I don't plan on onboard air (prefer the faster tank) the van is a 06 6.0 350 with the original C9 Axle LSD 3.55 Semi F Dana BFG 285's on 17's 30k on the ODO

Questions:
What's a good diff shop in SoCal?
What's the advantage between being able to lock vs LSD (doesn't a LSD locks after one revolution)?
If I wanted to go a bit higher than 4.1 (no xfer case gearing options) what are my options? And the RPM increase ?
Are there any upgrade options for my LSD, can it be re-geared?

I did a search and didn't find any hits on the subject (2wd) so hopefully this hasn't been discussed before and thanks for the info!

Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 03:34 AM   #2

Re: Rear Differential Upgrade Options for 2WD's

Personally, I'm a big fan of the Detroit True Trac. Works without being noticed and no extra maintenance or special gear oil needed.
Only drawback with all LSD type diffs is that as soon as one rear wheel is off the ground it doesn't work anymore, but this can be solved by applying a bit of brake.
Old 02-22-2015, 11:00 AM   #3

If you're talking about the rear diff, most of what you're asking about would be the same between 4wd and 2wd.
I'm also looking into going to 4.10 with a TrueTrac and was recommended San Diego Gear and Axle in El Cajon. I talked to them and they seemed to have very reasonable prices. full tilt is in San Clemente and is well regarded- they do the Action Van lifts, as well as ton of other work. They were more expensive for the gearing and Truetrac, but Larry is very well regarded on these forums.
The main differences between lockers and LSD is that a locker provided 100% lock all the time it's engaged, but LSD will allow some slip and only kick in after it detects slip... But at Karsten noted, it is not effective with a wheel off the ground ( but that can be fixed with some light breaking). For dirt road/mild trail driving on a rig that will see mostly road use, LSd is probably a better choice (that's what I'm going with). For hard core terrain, a full locker is better. Lockers come as automatic (better for rigs with light on road use) or selectable (like ARB or Eaton E Locker).
With a33in tire, 4.10 gearing will give you an exact match with the stock tire and gearing, so your shift points and odo will be right on.
Do you have a lift or did you do significant trimming to run your 285/?/17? What is the sidewall ratio, 70?
radorsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 01:36 PM   #4

Did you have a look at this thread? viewtopic.php?f=39&t=6949
JoeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 10:27 PM   #5

Thank you everyone,
4wheel parts quoted me ~$750 to regear to 4.10 my factory LSD. I'm going to ck San Clemente and report back as I would like a shop that specializes in this sort of thing to evaluate it condition before I put the new gears.

I have the Camburg Lift that works great with the R17. 285.

Again thanks
Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 02:33 PM   #6

For the record I hated my True Track in my Sterling 10.5. That said I had 35" tires and I hear True Tracks don't love big tires. In addition I would routinely pull 10,000lbs at 70mph for 12 hours plus. My LSD would bind on dry pavement if hot. ARB now, love it!

Jim

2006 E350 6.0 PSD U Joint 6" on 35's
capnjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 03:52 PM   #7

Location: Rancho Nuevo (Cabo/Todos Santos) B.C.S. and San Diego, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by capnjim
For the record I hated my True Track in my Sterling 10.5. That said I had 35" tires and I hear True Tracks don't love big tires. In addition I would routinely pull 10,000lbs at 70mph for 12 hours plus. My LSD would bind on dry pavement if hot. ARB now, love it!

Jim

2006 E350 6.0 PSD U Joint 6" on 35's
Tire size alone should not matter as the gear ratio is also changed and the final ratio is what comes into play.

AgileOffRoad.com
BajaSportsmobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 04:08 PM   #8

Location: Rancho Nuevo (Cabo/Todos Santos) B.C.S. and San Diego, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick
Hello.
I don't know much, yet, about locking diff and would apprecite info around best upgrade to my rear differential. I don't plan on onboard air (prefer the faster tank) the van is a 06 6.0 350 with the original C9 Axle LSD 3.55 Semi F Dana BFG 285's on 17's 30k on the ODO

Questions:
What's a good diff shop in SoCal?
What's the advantage between being able to lock vs LSD (doesn't a LSD locks after one revolution)?
If I wanted to go a bit higher than 4.1 (no xfer case gearing options) what are my options? And the RPM increase ?
Are there any upgrade options for my LSD, can it be re-geared?

I did a search and didn't find any hits on the subject (2wd) so hopefully this hasn't been discussed before and thanks for the info!
You will have very few differential options with Dana 60 because of its 32 spline axles.

We do axle work...

AgileOffRoad.com
BajaSportsmobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 05:46 PM   #9

Tractech Engineering approval for use of TrueTrac differentials in various vehicles is established with the understanding that the vehicle will be operated with approved factory engine and driveline components, as specified for that vehicle by the vehicle/axle manufacturer. Any increase in the size of the vehicle's engine, tires (over 32" diameter), weight, etc. may void the Tractech Limited Warranty on page 6. Any such vehicle modification should be reviewed by Tractech Engineering before using the product.

FROM THE MANUAL
capnjim is offline   Reply With Quote