Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-03-2015, 01:57 PM   #1
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Amazon Score? (Engine Oil)

Not sure but this seemed like a great deal to me---since I already use this it was a no-brainer to stock up: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=ATVPDKIKX0DER

They do limit us to six 5.1 Qt jugs per sale, processed as two orders of three each. Shipping is two days even without the over-hyped Amazon Prime program.

Thought to pass this along just in case..............

JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 02:23 PM   #2

Re: Amazon Score? (Engine Oil)

What do you do for the 6th quart? Do you open a second 5 quart jug and pour a quart of oil from it, then store it until the next oil change? Just wondering if thats ok to do.
Old 03-03-2015, 02:38 PM   #3
Site Team

Took a look, but as I use 20W-50 for my Bronco's 351W, the price goes up substantially for that weight. The stuff I currently use though (Castro GTX High Mileage 20W-50), is at a much better price than normal, so I ordered two 5QT bottles. Back-ordered, but that's OK, they're about $10 cheaper right now. Thanks!

Herb
Old 03-03-2015, 05:07 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikracer
What do you do for the 6th quart? Do you open a second 5 quart jug and pour a quart of oil from it, then store it until the next oil change? Just wondering if thats ok to do.
Yes, that's fine to do and exactly what I do when I purchase oil in bulk containers.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 05:38 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Scotty
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikracer
Yes, that's fine to do and exactly what I do when I purchase oil in bulk containers.

Good to know! Thanks Eric!
Old 03-03-2015, 07:51 PM   #6

That doesn't happen to be the oil I've been using, but thanks for jogging me to check Amazon - I had not done that for the E-350 -- and I should as it's not always easy to find other places.

One note to consider: I no longer put anything on the same order with oil when buying from Amazon. Reason I say that is they consistently will throw a couple of quarts of oil in with light, crushable things (and then only with about four of those plastic air pillows, which the oil just falls through). Two or three times I've received orders with the oil broken open and all over my other stuff. Ugh. So now I make sure to order it by itself - at least it can't wreck anything else that way.
Viva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 03:33 AM   #7

I use Valvoline but not High Mileage. I usually buy from Wally World. Its $15 and change for the 5 qt. I usually buy in the 5 quart jugs. I change about every 4 weeks in my DD so it adds up fast. I have Prime with Amazon but I'm not sure I would be further ahead buying online. My new truck (2014 F150 5.0) uses 7.7qts which to me seems like a ridicules amount. I usually have a piece of a bulk container from the previous oil change. I will say that if your a frequent changer I wouldn't have an issue with having some around but if you don't change very often I would just buy and extra quart or two.

My Build Thread
SCBrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 04:15 AM   #8
JWA

Glad this helped someone even if it wasn't that particular formulation---that's just what I use in my 5.4 just now hitting 200K miles.

Since the 5.1 qt jugs were the only items comprising my order no fear it leaking on a new CD or DVD etc.

As for "wally world"---I refuse to patronize those effen crooks so even if they were giving something away I'd still avoid them. I prefer spending my money where I think there's a better code of ethics in force even if its barely above acceptable. More power to those flocking into one of those joints but I'm convinced I don't spend any more for my stuff than their customers. Naturally this is subjective and to each their own.
Old 03-09-2015, 08:37 PM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoHauler
Took a look, but as I use 20W-50 for my Bronco's 351W, the price goes up substantially for that weight. The stuff I currently use though (Castro GTX High Mileage 20W-50), is at a much better price than normal, so I ordered two 5QT bottles. Back-ordered, but that's OK, they're about $10 cheaper right now. Thanks!

Herb
I ordered two 5qt bottles of Castro GTX High Mileage 20W-50 @ $18.56 each, and now the price is up to $31.59 each. Glad your post made me look at the time.

Herb
Old 03-10-2015, 03:54 AM   #10
JWA

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoHauler

I ordered two 5qt bottles of Castro GTX High Mileage 20W-50 @ $18.56 each, and now the price is up to $31.59 each. Glad your post made me look at the time.

Herb