Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-21-2015, 09:33 PM   #1

100k mile maintenance? What spark plugs to use?

I have an 07 V10 that I bought in 2012 with 48k miles on the clock. I am now approaching the 100k mark, you think it's time to change the oil? Hahahah, gotcha! Just wanted to freak you a bit.

Anyway it has been an awesome, trouble free rig (with the exception of one transfer case issue) and I wanna keep it that way. I've done some reading on here to try and find the best plug to use when I swap in a new set, can anyone provide me with some things I need to do to keep this thing running tip-top?

So far I plan to replace:
Plugs/wires (do these take wires, or are they coil packs on an 07?) What plug type is best?
PCV
Coolant flush?
Tranny flush (done at 70k)

Anything else you can think of that would ensure this thing keeps running so well? It has been such a great rig.
Thanks for any and all advice!
C.

c7train is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 10:47 PM   #2

Re: 100k mile maintenance? What spark plugs to use?

Interested to see what spark plugs people recommend as well as I'm in the same boat. I'm going to have a shop do mine though as I don't want to risk messing anything up. No plug wires to replace, but I read that replacing the boots might be a good thing to do while you're at it.
Old 04-21-2015, 11:02 PM   #3

Autolite Double-Platinums are OE equivalent. The standard platinums don't quite last as long.

I'm actually running Autolite Irridium plugs, since the tune I'm running is pretty hot on the plugs, and the double platinums were worn out by 70,000 miles. The Iridiums got me back to 100k running the tuner.
Old 04-22-2015, 04:50 AM   #4
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA

Take this info FWIW, its based upon my own use, practices and experiences with this family of motors...........

-Plugs should be MotorCraft or the Autolite equal---both are designed specifically and tend to produce the best performance and life. So far none of the claims about other brands being better or longer lasting have proven to have any validity. Along with higher costs such so-called improvements have absolutely no advantage over MC or Autolite.

-Personally I don't believe spark plugs are truly effective past 50K miles so I change them myself at that interval. Boots are inspected and replaced as needed; NAPA makes a nice part for about $5 each, Belden/USA made too! (This interval I use will draw criticism, citing what the owners manual states however there's no harm in performing some maintenance steps sooner than suggested.)

--Along with correctly placed dabs of dielectric grease in the wiring harness connectors as well as in the tops and bottoms of the boots I use a nickel-based anti-seize on the plug threads, torque them to 21-23 ft/lbs. This too is a sometimes hotly debated issue, published specs calling for 7-14 lbs. A completely unscientific test conducted by a member on FTE shows Modular Motor heads can withstand plug torque approaching 75 ft/lbs before adverse effects on the threads. Of course this discussion devolves into what causes plugs to blow out of a head--sadly there's very, very little real evidence which practice (or lack thereof) is behind this statistically low rate of occurrence.

Depending on your skill level, tool availability and desire to DIY such an operation this is one of those procedures an owner is advised to learn and perform personally. As a disclaimer DIY can't 100% guarantee plugs won't be ejected however that possibility is reduced so greatly its well worth learning the process.

Do keep in mind these suggestions are based upon my own practices and experiences so take that FWIW.

Your other flushes and refreshes are well worth the time and money invested---keep those up!
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 10:28 AM   #5

We had the spark plugs on our 2001 V10 changed at the Ford dealer specifically since the model year is one of those with the potential to spit out plugs. I talked to the Ford service manager about the problem and he said that Ford had developed a proceedure to replace the plugs on those engines without problems.
Old 04-22-2015, 08:45 PM   #6

Any thoughts about replacing the coils, my 5.4 with 130k was had 3 coils fail within the last 20k.I have replaced them all.

Dave
unimogdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 08:56 PM   #7

I did all my coils my last spark plug change (at 370,000) after losing 2 in the year leading up to that tune-up. I went with Denso coils from RockAuto. Since they were already out, I figured that was less work than doing even just one at a later date.
Old 04-23-2015, 04:11 AM   #8
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA

Since we're on this topic here I wonder if anyone changing plugs at 100K have ever snapped photos of them once out? I have enough images of wear at 50K but not seen any with more miles.

COP's---wow in the last year I've lost 5 or 6, two different E250's w/5.4 motors. One set was Granatelli, they're almost all swapped back to the OEM '00 COP's original to the van, 275K miles. My '03 has lost a total of 3 since new-to-me in '12 @165K miles.

Cold weather seems to affect the Granatelli's---they've all failed during the colder months, some throwing a misfire code with the attendant rough idle during start up. Once operating temp was achieved simply shutting the engine off then immediately restarting temporarily "cured" that problem. Well, until that COP eventually failed completely.

The '03 COP's were probably just a matter of age--replaced with the NAPA "better" version for about $50 each.
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 04:17 PM   #9

I just had the plugs on my 98 5.4 replaced by the dealer at 89,000 miles. I wondered at the time if I should have proactively replaced the coils, but decided against since I have had no problems to date. Is this a "if it ain't broke don't fix it" scenario, or am I on borrowed time? We're likely doing a month-long XC trip this summer from east to west coast and back, and I'd rather have my local shop do it than some random guy in the middle of Kansas. Thoughts? Are they hard to do yourself if the plugs have already been done?
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 09:49 PM   #10

Thanks for much for the replies! This was exactly the type of info I was looking for. You all are so thorough and willing to share. Much appreciated.
Best,
C.
c7train is offline   Reply With Quote