Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-27-2015, 12:12 PM   #1

E350 7.3 Quigley - engine removal - need advice!

Hi folks,

I have (or my mechanic) an issue with the engine removal of my E350 Econoline 7.3 IDI Quigley.
http://www.derjackistweg.de/engine-swap/
http://www.derjackistweg.de/wp-content/ ... 17261.jpeg

The engine should go out to the front. As you can see everything has already been removed. Though itīs not possible to lift the engine high enough, due to the oi sump to lift it above the front engine mount.

Problem is: At this stage, my mechanic is moving from "an easy swap" to a big amount of labor costs, is he needs to totally remove everything ...
Looks like no chance to to remove with the oil sump in place. To remove the oil sump (+ oil pump etc) itself you also need to lift the engine at least 15cm or 6 inch. And from that point on it gets dirty and tricky. For installation I would need to install the engine with an open bottom end- not a good idea.

Has anyone a better idea, made out of any experience? My guys tried with a fork lift and failed. The fork lift lifted itself, when tried to lift the engine Though thatīs not the main issue at the moment.

Any advice to get the 7.3 out?

derJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 12:29 PM   #2

Re: E350 7.3 Quigley - engine removal - need advice!

I have no answers, but UJOINT has pulled several 7.3s, so he should be able to help.
rallypanam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 12:39 PM   #3

Hi, youīre right. I think he allways removes with the body lifted. But maybe he has some advice ...
Old 05-27-2015, 01:26 PM   #4

We've done it both ways, body off and thru the front like you're doing. Trick is to get the boom as close to the engine block as possible so you can tilt the engine and get the sump over the x-member.
ujointoffroad.com
UJOINT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 01:37 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by UJOINT
We've done it both ways, body off and thru the front like you're doing. Trick is to get the boom as close to the engine block as possible so you can tilt the engine and get the sump over the x-member.
Hi Chris,

"The boom" means the arm of an engine lift? to tilt the engine it needs the tranny to be removed, I guess? You ve seen the picture with the oil sump, aren't you?
They tried only with a fork lift so far. This gives not enough room, is this correct?
Old 05-27-2015, 03:24 PM   #6

Thankfully i never had to do this, so no experiance on a van but you need something like this

take the cains as short as possible, to remove the tranny is a good idea but i think it also works without doing this.
On what place do you open the engine mounts? at the crossmember or at the engine? If there is no space maybe it is a good idea to open both sides?
To remove the oilpan is a hard work with the engine in. I would not recommend this. I think because of the missing space you also have to remove the oil snorkel before getting the pan out.
I would prefer removing the valve covers. But even this should not necessary.
As i said i have never done this, so it is just what i think in the moment. I am shure here are some guys who can help you with there experiance.

i wish you good luck jack! take some beers, it makes the life easier
Attached Images

schluchtenflitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 04:50 PM   #7
Site Team

Garage

the one big thing I'm reading is the tranny is still attached and I would think it would be way easier without it attached.

Most the time the Copilot is Now Sophie dog the noise maker.

2000 7.3 PS Quigley/RB30 with a 6 window poptop.
Gooseberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 10:00 PM   #8

My mechanic just placed my 6.0 back in, transmission not attached, oil pan attached with forklift.

I agree, bring your mechanic a 6 pack.
Ketcham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 07:40 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketcham
I agree, bring your mechanic a 6 pack.
nice idea, but no suitable for them in the shop, I think.

They donīt have an engine lift in their shop, but maybe they can borrow. I guess this would offer more space to the top.
With a losen tranny you would have more space for tilting the engine, like Chris said, imortant to move the pan above its hump at the rear end.
The engine mounts are unmounted at the crossmember part. Though to pull it straight front you need to lift the engine for its additional hight of the oil pan hump (which is I guess 5-6 inches)

The top of the engine bay, at the firewall is really tight at the cylinder heads. + the additional tranny made everything very heavy to the rear end. Too heavy for the used fork lift.

PS: Iīve seen this: at the pirates 4x4s. Makes me think oh dear!
Lifting a 20 year old body or trying to loosen the bolds can be a pain...
Old 05-28-2015, 08:18 AM   #10

boisebiker solved this very problem. Read his thread and pm him.

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/12465 ... -work.html

He posted here as well but I can't find his thread.
2002 E350 ext.; 160K; 7.3L; 4R100 (w/4x4 deep pan & filter); 4x4 conv. w/2007 F250/F350 coil frnt axle (oppos. dual Bilstein press. shocks cured DW) diff chg from 3.55 to 3.73 (bad!); BW1356 t.c. (bad!); LT265/70R17/E Michelin LTX M/S2; Engel MT60 Combi Fridge-Freezer; 4 BP 380J pv panels; Auragen 5kw AC gen. in top alt. position; Webasto Dual-Top; Voyager top. 1995 5.8L EB Bronco, bone stock.
E350 is offline   Reply With Quote