Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-12-2015, 07:23 AM   #1

Transmission cooler return line

I remember reading on here a few years back about a way to change the transmission fluid by unhooking the return line from the transmission cooler and running the car at idle while pouring in fresh fluid. Can anyone tell the name of that method, I wanna say it was some guy's name but can't remember for sure. Anyway, aside from the name. Would anyone care to outline that process, or at least remind me which side of the tranny cooler is the return line (I'm getting old and forgot).

Also, what fluid do y'all suggest for differentials and transfer case. I have a 6k summer planned and want to get this thing ready.

Best,
C.

c7train is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 10:17 AM   #2

Re: Transmission cooler return line

I call it the bucket method. Not sure about everybody else.

Basically, disconnect both lines from the aux trans cooler, point them into a bucket (then mark the outlet line for future changes). Turn on motor until about 6 qts pumps out, fill with 6 fresh qts through the dipstick, repeat 2 more times. I added a Magnefine inline filter so I don't drop the pan anymore. It goes on the "cool side" which is the return from the cooler.
Old 06-12-2015, 11:47 AM   #3

Perfect thanks! I'll get after it today!
c7train is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 01:50 PM   #4

oops didn't even see the rest of your question.

Which T-case? Is the the Ford/NV 272? That uses Mercon. Not Mercon-V (which is what you need in the transmission if its a 4R100). Ford renamed Mercon as "Transfer Case Fluid" but store brands still sell plain old Mercon (or Dex/Merc) under that name.

I use Mobile-1 75W140 in the diff. You do not need limited slip additive (if you have LS) when you use Mobile-1 or most other full synthetics.
Old 06-12-2015, 03:01 PM   #5

I've done the bucket method, and it took me a couple of hours. Yes, it flushes the converter. However you don't end up changing the filter or cleaning off the magnet.

I've also paid a (budget conscious) shop to drop the pan. In both cases the cost was dominated by using synthetic fluid. I think the shop got a better deal on the fluid than I did, and passed at least some of the savings on. IIRC having them do the labor was like $20 more total in the end. I'll be going that route again next time.

Ideally you'd drop the pan, and then a quick version of the bucket method just to get the last of the fluid out of the converter.

I might have a pan with a drain plug put on next time just to make a more expedient DIY reasonable, but still, that misses changing the filter.

'99 EB ex ENG KSWB news van, low rent 4x4 conversion (mostly fixed by now), home built interior.
MadScience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 11:42 PM   #6

FWIW - I stopped dropping the pan based on a post by Mark Kovlaskly saying it just isn't necessary. That, and the last time I tried it I literally dropped the pan. All 6 qts landed on me. So I just do the bucket method every 90-100k. So far so good at a little over 400,000 miles, half those towing.
Old 06-14-2015, 04:24 AM   #7
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA

Quote:
Originally Posted by carringb
FWIW - I stopped dropping the pan based on a post by Mark Kovlaskly saying it just isn't necessary. That, and the last time I tried it I literally dropped the pan. All 6 qts landed on me. So I just do the bucket method every 90-100k. So far so good at a little over 400,000 miles, half those towing.
This is one of the more surprising parts about our Ford transmissions---the internal filter being designed for the entire life of the trans!

Mark has a great write-up for flushing the trans---there are more than a few YouTube videos too. Here's Mark's article: http://www.ford-trucks.com/articles/...-transmission/

Another video and forum posting with Mark's input as well: http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/12...and-video.html

HTH
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote