Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-24-2015, 04:03 PM   #1

Bulletproof Problem

Just dropped off my van yesterday to my local diesel mechanic. We went through a list of everything that I wanted to be done including replacing the bed plate, head studs, etc, etc.

I have an 05' 6.0psd with 98,000 miles and a leaking bed plate.

The tech just called me and told me that they could not get the cab off without taking my entire interior apart to get to the bolts that they need to get the cab off???

These guys have done bulletproofing to several ambulances but never an SMB. Anything I can tell them on how to do this? Otherwise they said they cannot do it. Are they going about it the wrong way?

Old 06-24-2015, 05:04 PM   #2

Re: Bulletproof Problem

Easiest way to get access to the motor is to pull the cab/body....bolts are under the floor and in many cases under cabinets so the interior would need to be removed to access them.

It can be done through the dog house but it would take much more time and most mechanics hate working on vans anyway so they will either charge an arm and a leg or just not take the job.
hogasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 05:08 PM   #3

Location: Rancho Nuevo (Cabo/Todos Santos) B.C.S. and San Diego, CA

Problem is body mount bolts cannot be accessed from the top because of the buildout.

I would pull the engine and do it on the bench.

[youtube:1upvt2j0]

AgileOffRoad.com
BajaSportsmobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 05:27 PM   #4

Had my engine pulled out the front for a bed plate seal and BP EGR cooler, etc while they were at it.

IMHO you would be asking for a lot of trouble with all the accessories, etc if you tried to lift the body off the chassis. Also don't think the strengthened head bolts are needed as our 6.0L vans were derated in HP compared to same in the pickups, and really not a problem.

If you search, lots of us have had engines pulled out the front for bed plate leaks, never heard of an SMB having the body lifted off.
Old 06-24-2015, 06:31 PM   #5

The shop I used acquired one of these 6.0 Engine Pluckers (the black device). There is a rod on the other side that bolts to something on the back top of the engine.

2004 SMB 4x4 RB 6.0 PSD; ARP Head Studs, Gen 3 Cylinder Heads, BPD Oil Cooler connected to AMSOil Bypass, a whistling Wicked Wheel Turbo, Coolant Filter, Upgraded alternator, ScanGauge, SCT custom and SMB Fox shocks.
BFG 285/75 R16 KM3 Mud Terrains on ProComp 7069's
PatO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 04:02 AM   #6
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatO
The shop I used acquired one of these 6.0 Engine Pluckers (the black device). There is a rod on the other side that bolts to something on the back top of the engine.
If you could ask your shop from where that device can be purchased it would be invaluable info to have.

It looks to solve a lot of hard-to-reach problems pulling motors from the E-Series!

TIA
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 06:44 AM   #7

Thanks for the video of the 6.0 being pulled. I will send this to them to see what they think. I will use U-Joint if I have to but I was hoping to go to a local guy in case I have problems later. I don;t want to have a six hour round trip drive if I notice that something goes wrong.

They have quoted me about $6,000 before they thought there was a problem. Curious what they will estimate now?
Old 06-25-2015, 07:56 AM   #8

That bracket is a Ford part. In the service manual it shows it. I need to find a place where they will lend me one for a day and i will weld one up to match. We could even have it rentable on site for us Do It Yourselfers.

Paul

Old 06-25-2015, 08:12 AM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBUNCH
... I don;t want to have a six hour round trip drive if I notice that something goes wrong.
A six hour round trip is nothing IMO, knowing you have someone who knows not only the 6.0L, but SMBs as well. For a number of my vehicles, I've driven or towed my vehicle up to 8 hours one-way to get it to the right mechanic, and not just a convenient mechanic. Would it be better if they were closer though, heck yes.

Herb
Old 06-25-2015, 09:42 AM   #10

A six hour drive is nothing compared to the piece of mind you will get if you take it to someone who is an known expert, verses someone who has never done it before. No doubt you will pay extra while the first shop learns how to do it. The only down side may be all the other stuff you can spend money on while your at Chris's shop. I see it as a no brainer.....................
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote